346XP muffler mod/tach findings...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodshed

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Finally got all moved into our new house and got a chance to mod the muffler on my 346XP. Put a 1/2 hole in the bar side of the muffler and dressed it up with a deflector off of a 288XP, looks pretty clean and professional. Shaved off the H needle limiter with a razor blade just in case it was outside of factory limit. Initial idle after it came off fast idle and warmed up was 3700-3750!!! Seems a bit high but the chain wasn't moving. Backed down the T screw to 2700 per owners manual and adjusted the L jet for best accel and consistant idle if saw is layed over on it's side or sitting on angle. Then came the high end. Clamped the bar into a bench vise and let her warm up with a few blips of the throttle, first WOT was 11500, huh, not very fast. Twisted the H jet and slowly leaned it out little by little until I got 14250 and still no limiter kicking in. This was faster than I would like so I backed it down to 13800-13900, sounds mean and fast as hell. I also got the tell tale four-stroking at this speed, definitely not hitting the limiter that I was much worried about. Overall I am shocked at how undertuned this saw was out of the box. The plug was very wet and oily to begin with, now nice amber brown. Very happy with the mod and the results. Gonna put her in wood tonight if all goes well. Still don't have enough tanks of petrol through the 372XP to mod it but someday it will receive the same treatment. Got an extra 288XP deflector and screen for when she's ready.

Scott

How many tanks had been run through the saw prior to your retune?

Mine came in with both limiters pegged on the rich side and the saw turned in the mid 12K range. I left it alone for break in, and by the time I had run 5-6 tanks through, it was in the low/mid 13K range and much much stronger.

I have since run another 7-8 tanks, opened the muffler, and tuned to 14K. Now it does indeed sound and cut like a much bigger saw.

I waited till it started to feel stronger, about 10 tanks or so before the muffler mod. My main concern was the excessive oil on the plug, way too rich! Now the plug looks perfect and the saw just plain screams, I had no idea what 14K sounded like, that is for sure!

Scott

Definitely a fun saw to run!

I'm surprised yours was so rich after that many tanks. Just set up super duper rich I guess.

I put a 357xp dog on mine and it helps to keep things away from the muffler a little better.

Mine came with no dog and I kinda like it that way for limbing. I might have to get a 357XP dog if I start bucking some small stuff with it.

Scott

Back