346xp new to me

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CascadeHusky

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
A few days back someone in the Northeast was thinking on a $125 346xp. Many, including myself were surprised that it lasted on Craigslist for even several days.

I saw one near me for $175. It was up at least a week(albeit a very poor ad) before I went to get it yesterday.

Overall condition 8/10 at least, a little surface rust on muffler, expected for a 2005. Some small scuffing through the paint on clutch cover. A little dirty, but nothing like you wouldn't expect from an uncleaned saw.

I haggled and took the saw home without looking inside muffler, just down spark plug.

Compression:

20160514_212024.jpg

Passes in my book. And now the money shot:

20160514_211617.jpg

That's a good looking p&c, even with the strange fin break. I'm sure it is the original.

I forgot to take overall picture...now it's apart in a box while I shine it up and paint muffler/clutch cover. Still has plastic intake clamp, I suppose I'll change it and the partition.

Deals are out there! But be careful, it's addicting...a year ago I started craigslisting looking for a bigger saw to help a buddy mill- I didn't want to burn up my 372xp.

I've since bought an excellent 5100s, a mint 372xpw, a mint 261 and installed Meteor, and rough 266xp, a good 261 (and converted with meteor), an excellent 562xp, and now a good 346xp. I've sold the 372xpw and the 266xp.

Someday I'll have a 90cc. I made good deals, but yes I could have just bought a brand new 395xp for less than I've spent.

But where's the fun in that?

Correct, no decompression. Just a pristine piston. It's hard to see the machine marks, the photo uploader distorted picture, but they are clearly there un disturbed.

The reason I asked is because I bought one and it doesn't have one, thought maybe someone had swapped cylinders or something.

The 42mm cylinders (that the saw this thread is about has, based on pictures) didn't come with a decomp (and wasn't bored and tapped for one) - but they did (or do) have a dedicated place for boring and tapping for one.

The 44.3mm NE ones are all drilled and tapped, but can be bought either with a decomp, or with a plug in its place.

The 42mm cylinders usually say "42" in blue ink on the top of the cylinder (which I can see in one of the pictures in post #1).

My saw does have the boss for a place to drill but I don't really think the saw needs one. Would this saw be preferred over a 353? I picked up a 353 also, with a de-comp and was wondering which saw is the best, they seem about equal when cutting wood.

My saw does have the boss for a place to drill but I don't really think the saw needs one. Would this saw be preferred over a 353? I picked up a 353 also, with a de-comp and was wondering which saw is the best, they seem about equal when cutting wood.

Yes, it is a better engine than the 353, that was a cheaper alternative to that version of the 346xp from late 2002, and also to the NE346xp.

- and no, it doesn't need a decomp, none of them do (unless the operator is disabled in some way).

This thing came with 20" bar, new 3/8 chisel chain(which is what I want for now) Chain stops right after you let off throttle...no problem, the guy had it on way too tight. Loosen chain...same thing. ???

Drive links were burred from .325 rim...

This thing came with 20" bar, new 3/8 chisel chain(which is what I want for now) Chain stops right after you let off throttle...no problem, the guy had it on way too tight. Loosen chain...same thing. ???

Drive links were burred from .325 rim...
Well that's messed up! Still an easy fix and a screamin deal on a fine saw!

Well that's messed up! Still an easy fix and a screamin deal on a fine saw!

Oh yeah, it was a quick fix...just had to find the right spare rim in my box 'o parts. Quick tap and the clutch was off, and we're back in business with a different chain("oh no, internal clutches are so much easier to remove"...BS!)

Now a little flat file work on the other one and it will be good.

Oh yeah, it was a quick fix...just had to find the right spare rim in my box 'o parts. Quick tap and the clutch was off, and we're back in business with a different chain("oh no, internal clutches are so much easier to remove"...BS!)

Now a little flat file work on the other one and it will be good.
I think this is a simple candidate for the You Suck thread...yeh...you suck Cascade on this purchase. :laugh: Great Suckage score my man!!

Back