346xp questions?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keith c raymond

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Im considering a high power mid range saw for my collection like the 346xp.Who else makes a saw of this size and weight that revs like this one?Can i run a 3/8 chain on it ?specs call for a .325 chain.what do you all think? not looking for the "Husky vs. Stihl " debate ,please ,Ive got an open mind for any of the good names and have dealers around for all.Appreciate all input,thanks.

I too have been thinking Of a 346 Xp but I want to run a 3/8 chain too. The .325 chains dont seem to hold up. I cant wait to hear if it can easily be changed over to 3/8 chain. I would guess the clutch and bar for sure would be scraped and then what else?

3/8 sprocket and bar .050 guage and youre good to go. I still use the .325 dont know why, kind of dumb to have to buy a roll of chain for 1-2 saws. Should switch to 3/8 , would be more streamlined. :umpkin:

can i jump on the band wagon......theres been alot of pics with 346xp modified saw's. just what kind of power can be had with those little 10lb puppies. in modified form what do they compare to? i also would prefer to run a 3/8 050 chain. would an 18in bar be too much for one?

Ken I have a few 346xp's you can run at the GTG, I run 3/8ths 50thou and they are fine. EHP did one for me on a pipe and muffler. They are some strong little saws. Roger Barrnet "RBTREE" speaks highly of them. There will be quite a few saws there for to you to try. Bring that PP395 also. I dropped a 40" pine last week so we will have some big wood to fool with also.

Gypo will be bringing his 346 alcohol also.Sedanman will have the cookie monster also 7900. Plus some EHP's 359's, 357's Ken Dunn 066, 385,346,372 and 362. I will have my Cahoon 066,372, 2100 and a Solo 680. There will be plenty to go around.

at this time the 346 is the best 50 cc saw out there now I have not seen the new dolmar 5000 so I cannot say anything about it but for power the 346 wins hands down period and yes they run 3/8's chain easy

Now have a 346xp in the stable! went with 325 chain with 058 18'' Husky bar w/removable tip Tried out this weekend,good power,low weight.Maybe ill go with 3/8 with 050 bar after break in,dont know yet.

Sooner or later I'm going to add a 346 for a small saw. it sure beats lugging a huge 80CC Mac through the woods for a small job.

Back