• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

E-Z start question.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocky

Reaction score
Hi guys, my name is Rocky, new to Arborsite, old to logging. : ) Sixty years in the woods now dealing with a shot of cancer, stage 4. Still able to function/saw so all good. Question is, what's the largest ez start that Stihl makes? Have been looking at a baby stihl MS170, largest my dealer has in stock right now. I'm afraid that's gonna be underpowered, looking for a little more power...maybe 250/251 range but info on the ez starts is sorta scarce. So, a little help on the ez start model sizes would be appreciated. Thanks guys..

Hi guys, my name is Rocky, new to Arborsite, old to logging. : ) Sixty years in the woods now dealing with a shot of cancer, stage 4. Still able to function/saw so all good. Question is, what's the largest ez start that Stihl makes? Have been looking at a baby stihl MS170, largest my dealer has in stock right now. I'm afraid that's gonna be underpowered, looking for a little more power...maybe 250/251 range but info on the ez starts is sorta scarce. So, a little help on the ez start model sizes would be appreciated. Thanks guys..
Your looking for the 251 ez start model. Make sure it is complete on the starter side is my best advice or go new.

maybe 250/251 range
The 250 does not come with the easy start, just the 251. Like stated above, best bet will probably be new. Some people have a hard time getting used to the easy start and will pull it like a regular saw and damage the mechanism, the rope or even break it, so used ones can look good on the outside, but may have excessive wear in the starting mechanism. I think the 251c will work well for you.

Yep, my sister bought a 251c this year. I ran it about a month ago - it cut well and was very easy on the gas! Starting it feels like winding up a spring, then it releases the potential energy to start the saw. Stihl does advise that it you pull it the traditional way, it will break/reduce the lifespan.

Got one of them joke start things here! LOL!! hardest thing on the planet to start! Gotta mess with it and it finally starts but by then I am to pizzed to use it so it sits under the bench in the junkpile ( should convert it but too costly) . I kinda like the regular 170 for light use. 250's or 025 are good for medium cutting and really dont start that hard IF you tune them right.

Friend had one. We could not figure the thing out. Called the Stihl dealer. He said the key is to choke it, pull it once and flip the choke. They flood super easy. After that we got it started every time. Hope that may help someone.

Back