346XP too much saw for a homeowner? or 350/353 good enough?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this is my first post, but I just wanted to say don't count the 353 out its a great saw.. for anyone considering one. I couldnt get a 346xp at the time I needed one like the guy that started the thread so I got a 353 and having run small saws alot I have to say the 353 does very well. the only change I have made so far to mine is to take off the dogs, and go up one tooth on the sprocket, and to 3/8" chain.

this is my first post, but I just wanted to say don't count the 353 out its a great saw.. for anyone considering one. I couldnt get a 346xp at the time I needed one like the guy that started the thread so I got a 353 and having run small saws alot I have to say the 353 does very well. the only change I have made so far to mine is to take off the dogs, and go up one tooth on the sprocket, and to 3/8" chain.

Nothing wrong with the 353, but I don't think either 3/8" or 8-pin rim is a good idea (and sertainly not in combination), unless you are cutting balsa wood......

Last edited:
it pulls the 3/8 chain no problem so why not, it cuts faster than the .325 in the wood I am cutting..

there is no hardwood where I am from

What kind of wood are you cutting Red? I've got a muff modded 353 and I've always found the narrow kerf chains to cut faster for me -- I cut ALL hardwood though -- maple, beech, some river Birch.

I just put one of the Woodsman Pro .325 NK chains on last weekend but haven't had a chance to try it out yet.

It is a great saw and since it's construction is almost the same as the 346xp I'd expect it to have the same durability. The problem is that it was just a $50 differential between it and the 346xp. At that price, it was a no-brainer for me.

I know its my saw, I would have got the 346 if it was available at the time. I cut jackpine, spruce, poplar and birch. the saw cuts great for me, but I am open to any suggestions, if you think 3/8 chain is such a bad idea let me know why

I know its my saw, I would have got the 346 if it was available at the time. I cut jackpine, spruce, poplar and birch. the saw cuts great for me, but I am open to any suggestions, if you think 3/8 chain is such a bad idea let me know why

I'm running a 18" bar and 3/8 chain on my 2152 (same as the Husky 353) with a non-cat muffler. It does just fine. Just a little slower then the 2666XP I was cutting along side with the other day.

We cut popple, maple, birch, balsam, oak, pine....

vid - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6GCT7IB1xY

pic - http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/comp1911/chainsaw/2152/2152-3.jpg

All the other saws we have run 3/8 chain. Can't say if it cuts any better then the .325.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back