348 Chevy value???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bucknfeller

Opportunistic Hooligan
Reaction score
Just picked up an old Chevy 6 wheeler today (61,or 62 I believe), with some help from some members here, I think we have ID'd the engine as a 348. It does start right up and run. I'm sure it hasn't had a tune up in years, it's just been sitting in a shed. I was just wondering if any of you here had an idea what it could be worth, and what kind of demand there is for them.

Thanks in advance.

Don't know about value but a guy I worked with had a 60 chevy with 348 with 3 dueces.Said it would go 150mph.

Last edited:
I don't have a clue what its worth but I want it to haul wood.

Kewl beans.

We have that exact same water tank on one of the trucks at work. They aint cheap new, should be worth a few bucks if its in good shape.

Probably not a lot. Maybe a few hundred bucks or so. It's a truck engine. If you had one coded for an Impala with a 4V or 3 deuces, it would be worth a lot more. If it was a 409, it'd be worth a lot more. If, and it's a big if, that engine has a steel crank and it's in good shape, the crank alone is probably worth more than the whole engine and maybe the whole truck.

I don't have a clue what its worth but I want it to haul wood.

Kewl beans.

We have that exact same water tank on one of the trucks at work. They aint cheap new, should be worth a few bucks if its in good shape.

That tank is $1600 new and the 4 metal straps that hold it down are $58 a piece. It is in good shape, I gave my cousin first dibs on it, he's been looking for one to nurse a sprayer, he offered me $400 for it so I'm gonna let him take it. I'm takin the bed off and putting it on a 8 ton running gear for firewood, and other work around the farm. I need the tires for a big dump trailer that I pull behind the tractors. I was going to scrap the rest of the truck, but the engine runs good and someone said 348's are worth a few bucks to the right buyer. Also got a 5hp briggs pump, but the housing frozed and busted, so I'm going to use the motor on a little splitter I'm piecing together.

Probably not a lot. Maybe a few hundred bucks or so. It's a truck engine. If you had one coded for an Impala with a 4V or 3 deuces, it would be worth a lot more. If it was a 409, it'd be worth a lot more. If, and it's a big if, that engine has a steel crank and it's in good shape, the crank alone is probably worth more than the whole engine and maybe the whole truck.

I thought the 3 deuce setup was just a matter of changing the intake? Cam also I would guess for a car motor. Is there any way to tell what crank it is without tearing it down? I havn't ran any #'s on the engine yet, could it be a 409?

Last edited:
Post over on H.A.M.B. and you should have no problem selling that 348 which could well be a 409. A real shame to part out and eventually scrap this truck. Would love to have it as is.

"348 engines had oil dipstick on driver's side and on the 409 and 427 z11 it was on the pass side. This is a sure fire way of telling the 348 from the 409 and 427 "

Looks like from the photos you have a very rare 409.

Last edited:
Post over on H.A.M.B. and you should have no problem selling that 348 which could well be a 409. A real shame to part out and eventually scrap this truck. Would love to have it as is.

"348 engines had oil dipstick on driver's side and on the 409 and 427 z11 it was on the pass side. This is a sure fire way of telling the 348 from the 409 and 427 "

Thanks a million pal! This deal keeps getting better and better. :rock: Do you think there would be any interest over there in the whole truck?

Now I've got that warm fuzzy feeling! Getting excited, need to find some numbers on this engine and confirm.

Various old truck forums out there. Since I have a 1966 Dodge D200 I belong to a couple of old Dodge forums. Do a little research for old Chevy/GMC forums and I'm sure you'll find a few. I won't sell just the engine for less than $1k. The carb alone is probably worth $200. Can't tell from the photos if the cab/sheet metal is rust free but if it is, worth a lot of money. The cab is the same as that used on the 1/2 and 3/4 ton models and there is always folks looking for rust free examples.

block casting #655=348. Casting #656=409

Last edited:

i second the motion
It's a 409
Someone could have swapped in a 427 but I doubt it.

The 427 I'm referring to was a stroked 409 only made one year I think.
It would be so unlikely to be in that truck I shouldn't have mentioned it
Worth a small fortune I imagine.

I would do some more research on it. The W-Block (348 - 409) can be worth your time, date codes and casting numbers will tell you more about it. The car collectors are always after early GM stuff. It's getting harder to find the "W" parts, so it could have some value. Especially if it did have a forged crank, not sure on that one.

I would think the 4GC Rochester with a governor would only be interesting to a truck guy, they were never used on a car and the carb numbers are different for those without the governor. The distributor is a truck item as well, it probably has a spinner governor inside, most medium duty GM trucks used some sort of weird distributor with a specific oil pump drive configuration, different from the passenger car line.

The exhaust manifolds may be something to check out, if they were used on multi-line vehicles, they could be somewhat more valuable. The thermostat housing is another piece to research. Some early cast-iron housings with the proper casting number are worth a bunch. Again, it depends on the angle of the hose outlet and the numbers.

If you know of any GM car guys, swap meet guys, etc., those are often a good resource to ask. Good luck with it, it could be interesting....:msp_rolleyes:

At the right front(pass side) at the head/block parting line there is a pad with a number stamped in it. Post that number up...

Most likely a 348, but in that old a truck it could be any thing...all 348/409 had steel cranks...

Latest posts

Back