348 Chevy value???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hate to burst your bubble, but it is a 283. Since it has no value, you might as well sell the truck to me...

The truck is a '64-'66 model as it does not have the wrap around windshield (I am guessing a '65, but can't see the grille).

Guido,
Your right and wrong

It is a 64 or later model, good catch on the windshield

But is a "W" motor, not a 283, the later model year increases the chances of it being a 09..
as such more vauable.

T0204XXG is the # on the flat spot on the front right of the block. I havn't been able to find anything on that number, several sources have told me that the block casting and date codes are on the back of the block left side. Thanks for all the input on this guys, I really appreciate it.

BTW 283 Pfffft. :laugh:

Ok, so whats the best way to go about this? Of course I'd like to get whatever I can get for the whole truck, but with all the questions on the engine, I don't know which way to turn. I can't see the numbers on the back of the block because they are tucked in under the firewall, I'm thinking about pulling the engine out tomorrow, cleaning it up and finding out exactly what I have. I know it's a shame to part it out, but I really don't see the value being there as a whole truck. Any suggestions?

Looks good on paper, but I can't imagine what it would cost to put this thing on a barge to Greenland :jester:

Yeah. I'd love to have it but it just wouldn't be worth it.

If your aim was good you might be able to drill the firewall with a hole saw and see the numbers.

Well, good news! Everything I can find on the numbers I have points to a 409

The number is T0204XXG

T-Tonawanda plant
02-second day
04-fourth month
XXG-suffix for 409 replacement engine

Most likely a 1965 engine by the looks of things. Also the 4 wire loom on the valve covers is a common trait of the 409.

I think I'm going to pull it out of there.

Well, good news! Everything I can find on the numbers I have points to a 409

The number is T0204XXG

T-Tonawanda plant
02-second day
04-fourth month
XXG-suffix for 409 replacement engine

Most likely a 1965 engine by the looks of things. Also the 4 wire loom on the valve covers is a common trait of the 409.

I think I'm going to pull it out of there.

it isn't a 409.
it's a low compression long stroke run of the mill tuck duty engine. could be a 366, 348 or 406. there were other sizes. they even had those same engines milled as a v6. there isn't anything special about it.

it isn't a 409.
it's a low compression long stroke run of the mill tuck duty engine. could be a 366, 348 or 406. there were other sizes. they even had those same engines milled as a v6. there isn't anything special about it.

I can definetly say it's not a 366, it is a W motor for sure. So that means either 348 or 409. I've done alot of research on it and everything I've found points to 409. Not bein smart, as I am surely not an expert by any means, but what makes you so sure?

I can definetly say it's not a 366, it is a W motor for sure. So that means either 348 or 409. I've done alot of research on it and everything I've found points to 409. Not bein smart, as I am surely not an expert by any means, but what makes you so sure?

they never put any 409's in the trucks:) and unless somebody was stupid enough to do so, it's just a plain old w head truck engine.
we've had a few w powered trucks over the years, even one of them v6 derivatives. you can buy them cheap from the townships, run them until their dead and get your money back from the wreckers. it isn't a 409.

they never put any 409's in the trucks:) and unless somebody was stupid enough to do so, it's just a plain old w head truck engine.
we've had a few w powered trucks over the years, even one of them v6 derivatives. you can buy them cheap from the townships, run them until their dead and get your money back from the wreckers. it isn't a 409.

Truck Engines
Year Used Cubic Inches Bore Stroke Horsepower@RPM Torque
@RPM Compression Carburetion Special Notes

1965 348 N/A N/A 220@4400 325@2600 7.75:1 4 bbl *See note 1 below
1965 409 N/A N/A 252@4000 390@2400 7.75:1 4 bbl *See note 2 below

Couldn't make the graph line up in this post but...
Just sayin :)

BTW: here's the notes they are referring to.
*Note 1: Big muscled standard engine for Series 80. Features four barrel carburetion and heavy duty components for top performance. Also available as an extra cost option in Series 60 and 60-H models.

*Note 2: Powerful extra cost engine for Series 80 is built for big payload hauling on the toughest runs. It features the finest in heavy duty components to give it the long run stamina needed in big truck work

Truck Engines
Year Used Cubic Inches Bore Stroke Horsepower@RPM Torque
@RPM Compression Carburetion Special Notes

1965 348 N/A N/A 220@4400 325@2600 7.75:1 4 bbl *See note 1 below
1965 409 N/A N/A 252@4000 390@2400 7.75:1 4 bbl *See note 2 below

Couldn't make the graph line up in this post but...
Just sayin :)

BTW: here's the notes they are referring to.
*Note 1: Big muscled standard engine for Series 80. Features four barrel carburetion and heavy duty components for top performance. Also available as an extra cost option in Series 60 and 60-H models.

*Note 2: Powerful extra cost engine for Series 80 is built for big payload hauling on the toughest runs. It features the finest in heavy duty components to give it the long run stamina needed in big truck work

well it could be different in the states. but i still doubt it's a 409.
if they did put one in there, i expect it would be like the truck version of the 348. very low comp, long stroke, no actual power. there is a big difference between the truck and car versions of the 348-406's. the only real way to tell is to pull the heads and measure the bore/stroke.
you also have to realize that gm wasn't the greatest at having their numbers acurate back in the 50s-60s, i used to have a nice 66 impala that was supposed to have a 283. ran the numbers to be sure (numbers even matched for the car). turned out to be a 307.....

well it could be different in the states. but i still doubt it's a 409.
if they did put one in there, i expect it would be like the truck version of the 348. very low comp, long stroke, no actual power. there is a big difference between the truck and car versions of the 348-406's. the only real way to tell is to pull the heads and measure the bore/stroke.
you also have to realize that gm wasn't the greatest at having their numbers acurate back in the 50s-60s, i used to have a nice 66 impala that was supposed to have a 283. ran the numbers to be sure (numbers even matched for the car). turned out to be a 307.....

Best I can tell, the bore/stroke is the same on the car and truck variations. Difference is in the heads, the cam, and the governed carb. My engine definetly has a 409 oil pan on it at the very least, but like I posted earlier, that XXG suffix is a 409 replacement truck engine. Even if it is a truck motor, the block and crank alone makes the hotrod guys drool :laugh:

Best I can tell, the bore/stroke is the same on the car and truck variations. Difference is in the heads, the cam, and the governed carb. My engine definetly has a 409 oil pan on it at the very least, but like I posted earlier, that XXG suffix is a 409 replacement truck engine. Even if it is a truck motor, the block and crank alone makes the hotrod guys drool :laugh:

yes they did throw the 409 into the trucks:msp_rolleyes: just found that:rolleyes2: we up here didn't get any of those. seems you 'mericans were greedy and didn't let gm of canada have any:msp_angry:
here's some reading: Vintage Engines: Chevrolet's "W" Motor
now i have to sit and wonder what we had at the farm. the v6 version was probably a canadian variation- and hopefully one that will be forgoten like colored scented toilete paper. it was a real dud.

yes they did throw the 409 into the trucks:msp_rolleyes: just found that:rolleyes2: we up here didn't get any of those. seems you 'mericans were greedy and didn't let gm of canada have any:msp_angry:
here's some reading: Vintage Engines: Chevrolet's "W" Motor
now i have to sit and wonder what we had at the farm. the v6 version was probably a canadian variation- and hopefully one that will be forgoten like colored scented toilete paper. it was a real dud.

Thanks for the link. Yeah, I was wondering myself if you might have slipped up and let the "wreckers" have a 409 :msp_scared:

Latest posts

Back