$350: 036 or MS362?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishNJ

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Which one for the same price? Assuming all things equal.

Currently have a 17 year old 029 super. Running 20" 0.325 / 0.063. Have 2 bars and 8 chains that I plan on carrying over. Homeowner cleaning up some overgrown property. 18-24" walnut ash oak elm and maple.

96a4d403dbf551ed8d39fb1fee313682.jpg

2dafd0d6efb18977eb0b829e018c8d78.jpg

MS362

3df787836e95046a6d7322404b5a8a2f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I don't like flippy caps so I would lean towards the 036. With the condition the saw is in (cracks, etc) I'd try to get it for a bit less. Either one would be good. If it were me, I would put a 49mm cylinder kit on the 029 and make it into a 64.5cc saw and use that. But you're not me, so do what seems best. Both the saws can use .325 chain but would be set up for 3/8" so you'll need to change the sprocket or rim drive depending what they have.

I was thinking about the 49 mm kit from baileys. If I could sell the 029 for 180 I'd be in the same amount for an 039 vs an 036 or MS362! For the $ I thought the pro saw was better. But then having a brand new motor that I know the history is worth something.... Third option I guess

Around here, the 029 Super would sell for $225 if it looks good. (although if you sell it PHO it would be less)
The kits I use from Huztl are well under $100 and include everything you would need except a tube of sealant. (it requires a fuel compatible sealer, I use Permatex Motoseal 1) You don't need to buy a whole engine if your saw is not buggered up.

You're gonna be able to find parts for the 362 for a lot longer. As I recall, Stihl only guarantees parts availability for obsolete saws for about 10 years, and the 036 has been out of production for longer than that. That said, I really like my 036 and have many hours on it, and have never had trouble finding parts, but I do have a bit of a hoard.

Fish, have you run both ?
I have both if you want to run side by sides. If not I would suggest you do. I might be the only one who prefers the 362 be cause of the fuel burn, av and grunt. I also got mine real cheap...and nothing makes a saw more better then getting it cheap. Then again I got my 360 cheap too....

Haven't run either. Both are an hour ride from me in opposite directions. Came here for some direction.

$350 for the 036 is just too close to new Echo cs-590 money. And reconditioned ones can be had for even less and delivered to your door. Those creamsicles do hold their value.

What do you think about getting a Hutzl 49mm complete motor for $90 and swapping it into the 029. Can keep the original assembled as wakes and on the shelf JIC. Still $275-290 into an 039 with new power plant vs $350 for used ms362.

Tough choices here. I've made two 390's out of 290's with Baileys kits!!! Both are very good saws and still going strong and very good power.

On the second hand the suggestion of the Echo 590 is deffinatly something to consider. Very, very nice saw!! Great power, good AV and better gas milage than a 390. Also the Echo really takes to a muffler mod and is killer ported!!!! Its a total sleeper and an AWSOME bang for the buck. More refined and engineered that a 036 which is a good saw but the design is antiquated. The 362 is a good quality saw and updated.

My choice would be for the Echo because it would be new and is a nice feeling saw to me. I've ran all three(four if you count the 290/390) and a ported/ modded 590 is hard to beat!!

036 feels better to me, so it would get my vote. The 362 is bulky in my opinion, and I don't like the cheapazz plastic handlebar

362, no question. I have both. Parts will be around for 362 WAY longer. Air filtration is superior (you can convert to the new cartridge filter inexpensively), and A/V is also way better.

You're gonna be able to find parts for the 362 for a lot longer. As I recall, Stihl only guarantees parts availability for obsolete saws for about 10 years, and the 036 has been out of production for longer than that. That said, I really like my 036 and have many hours on it, and have never had trouble finding parts, but I do have a bit of a hoard.

I have an 036 Pro that I was able to get a factory Stihl top end for a year ago, their are also a ton of aftermarket parts available for these saws.

Wow this thread is pretty equal on which saw. I've owned and had both and I strongly dislike the 362. But I'll take a good ol 036 any day of the week. There a hard saw to kill and easy to work on.

I was thinking about the 49 mm kit from baileys. If I could sell the 029 for 180 I'd be in the same amount for an 039 vs an 036 or MS362! For the $ I thought the pro saw was better. But then having a brand new motor that I know the history is worth something.... Third option I guess

Everyone here gets a stiffy for those chinka 039 kits. There is no way I'd pull apart a running 029 Super with a good factory cylinder on it in order to put a (marginally) more powerful 49mm kit on. You can muffler mod the Super and gain quite a bit. If the saw has an un-salvageable cylinder, then that is a different story. Also, the 029/029S/290 come with .325 chain. The 036 and 362 use 3/8. Unless you converted the Super to 3/8, the bars & chains you have will not work on the saws you are looking at. Alternately, you could convert the 362 to .325, though that does not make very much sense.

Back