353 or 359 similar to 032?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liketosaw

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
This is my first post and I need some advice. I'm buying a new saw and I've got it narrowed down to a 353, 346XP, or 359. I'm using the saw for 6 to 8 cords of oak and hickory firewood each year. Typically log size is no more than 20", but occasionally larger. I want this saw to last a long time. I'm replacing an 032AV that I've been sharing with my brother-in-law, but we live too far apart to continue this. I like the 032, but it gets a little heavy after a couple of hours. Which of the above saws is comparable to the 032AV? I like the light weight of the 353 or 346XP, but I'm not sure if they have enough power. I'm leaning toward the 346XP, but I'm not sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

All the Huskys you list should easily outperform the 032, and even the 359 should weight less - but not by a wide margin.
If a lot of the wood is around 20", I would skip the smaller saws and take the 359.

If weight is a big issue to you, consider the Dolmar PS-5100.
It has about the power of the 359, with just slightly more weight than the smaller Huskys.

Thanks for the info. Can anyone tell where to find a Dolmar? I've checked the internet, but have yet to find a good source or a price. Also the lack of any local support concerns me. I can handle most maintenance and repairs myself, but I may need a pro at some point.

For Dolmars, Check with 166, or TonyM, either of them are Dolmar dealers and will have what you need.

What about a 357xp or a 570. 357xp is the same weight as a 359, but it is a pro saw and has more horsepower .5 more to be exact. 570 is a little big and maybe a little pricey but would handle that occasionaly larger tree while running a 20 inch great.

I want to keep the cost at $400, so that leaves the 357 out. I'm looking at the PS5100S now. Does anyone know of any problems with these saws? I'm not aware of any Dolmar service centers nearby, so repairs that I can't handle myself could be a problem.

liketosaw said:
I want to keep the cost at $400, so that leaves the 357 out. I'm looking at the PS5100S now. .....
I may be wrong, but I think it leaves the 359 out also, if you plan to buy locally....

You're right, $475 is the cheapest I can find locally. I can get it for $400 mail order. But I do have a local Husky dealer for repairs if needed. I appreciate the input from everyone!

You can get a 359 on line for 400.00 + 20,00 shipping if you talk to your local service center they likely sell you the saw for 30.00 more fueled oiled tested and in your hands in 15 minutes. My dealer jumped so fast at 450.00 maybe I should have started lower. The other saws don’t seem to show up much in this form why? Are you willing to settle for second choice for 50 bucks? How long will you live with your second choice saw.

Just in case it matters to you;
The 359 does not weight the 12.1 lbs that Husky states.
Real weight is about 12.8, maybe slightly more if it has an E-tech muffler (+ liquids + bar & chain).

I'm leaning toward the Dolmar 5100 now. Besides having to drive a little farther for service if needed, it seems like a great saw. I haven't seen any negative posts, other than some minor gripes about the lack of a decomp valve and a plastic clutch cover. Does anyone know of any other issues with the Dolmar?

Latest posts

Back