357 or 359 top end?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saw Dr.

Junk Collector
Reaction score
So as a follow-on to my other 357 thread, I guess I'm keeping the 357. Supposing the top end is un-salvageable, should I use a 357 jug, or 359? If 359, are any of the aftermarket ones preferable? I will be leaving the crank suffers in, as there is no need to separate case halves here.

If you're gonna buy OEM I think the price difference between the two cylinders is barely anything. 357xp.

I realize that. Brad had said several times that his favorite ported saw was s 359. If the 359 has more potential, I'll swap over. I'd actually prefer to keep it as a 357.

I realize that. Brad had said several times that his favorite ported saw was s 359. If the 359 has more potential, I'll swap over. I'd actually prefer to keep it as a 357.

Let me see what I have available for good used cylinders Tim. I recently picked up some parts out of a rental shop's bone yard.

3 fiddy sebum.
And you have worked on Husqvarna saws before?

Ha ha. One of these days I'll catch up with you on the phone. Right now we're battling strep AND flu in my house, so I'm laying low & diddling on the internets.

Let me see what I have available for good used cylinders Tim. I recently picked up some parts out of a rental shop's bone yard.
No hurries. I haven't put the first wrench on this one. The jug on there is likely to clean up. It actually runs right now, but I'm not even going to turn it over now that I have discovered the scoring. A friend of mine retrieved this saw for me, sight-unseen. He didn't know anything about plastic clamps, and had no tools (or time) to pull the muffler when he picked it up.

I had a 357 and a 359 and kept the 359 because the cylinder in the 357 was set up for the automatic compression release and the 359 just had a conventional release which I like better. As far as power, honestly I couldn't tell any difference.

Rentals? I would think you'd need to be awfully lucky to get a decent cylinder out of there.
Actually, in my experience with 359s, the beat up saws from lumber companies and rentals have the best top ends, but worst plastic and handles.

That's how these were- the exterior parts were trash but the cranks and top ends are minty. They're actually low-hour saws in terms of running but they just get beat on so badly. The rental guy told me people rent them for a couple days but only actually run one tank of gas through them or so.

That's how these were- the exterior parts were trash but the cranks and top ends are minty. They're actually low-hour saws in terms of running but they just get beat on so badly. The rental guy told me people rent them for a couple days but only actually run one tank of gas through them or so.
Those saws have lovely orange plastic cases when new and end up an ugly brown when older.

If you want to keep the stuffers and you don't plan on porting the cylinder I would suggest the Hyway AM 359 cylinder. They work really well out of the box with crank stuffers.

Back