357xp vs. 359

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlacknTan

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
On paper the 357xp looks like the hotter saw, but from everything I've read, everyone seems to favor the 359.. Why?? I'd like to find a saw to replace the 262xp that I should have bought years ago, but never did because of the few extra dollars..

Get one of these, or wait for the 562xp???

Whether it meets expectations or not will be anyone's guess.

I don't know why everyone favors the 359 over the 357.I wanted to get a 357 but got a very good deal on my 359.They say the 359 is alot easier to mod than the 357.I don't think the power difference is that great between them.I know the price is alot different between them.I am very happy with my ported 359 but would like to put it up against a ported 357 just to see how one would perform.I don't know why Husqvarna made two saws so close alike.Thats all I have to say about that:givebeer:

Price

In my opinion the 357 is a much more powerful saw, and faster saw than the 359. But the price scares alot of people away. Even my dealer uses a 2156 (357xp)as his firewood saw after running the two side by side. The 357 will put a big smile on your face. I would say it is more closely matched to the stihl 361.
These opinions are all based on stock vs. stock saws.

i own both, and both are stock. there is some difference bw the two. maybe i can find a minute this evening and video them back-to-back-to-back with a 262 (stock) thrown in for good measure (and a MM 310 just because). i really need to do this bc i am getting the mod bug and one or two of this is going to be hopped-up, and i would like to have a good base comparo.

Last edited:
i own both, and both are stock. there is some difference bw the two. maybe i can find a minute this evening and video them back-to-back-to-back with a 262 (stock) thrown in for good measure (and a MM 310 just because). i really need to do this bc i am getting the mod bug and one or two of this is going to be hopped-up, and i would like to have a good base comparo.

Remember to use the same chain on them! :givebeer:

The only thing wrong with either of these saws is they fall in between excellence and greatness, namely the 346XP and 372XP! I would pick up the 357XP, mainly because I would probably keep it stock other thatn a muffler mod. The 359 is a tinkerers dream and can be ported to compete with 70cc class saws in small wood. Probably couldn't go wrong with either one.

Scott

I like the 359 that I have but I don't use it very much because it is a tweener but I haven't ever ran a 357. It's mainly a back up just in case one of the other saws break.

I have read a lot of differing opinions about the 359 both good and bad. I just wonder if the difference in them could be the cylinder being a non Mahle and they might not have good quality control during the manufacturing. The difference in a cylinder can make or break the performance of a saw.

If you have the money get the 357, its a lot hotter out of the box. If you like to tinker go with the 359, but its a turd stock and needs a few mods

On paper the 357xp looks like the hotter saw, but from everything I've read, everyone seems to favor the 359.. Why?? I'd like to find a saw to replace the 262xp that I should have bought years ago, but never did because of the few extra dollars..

Get one of these, or wait for the 562xp???

Whether it meets expectations or not will be anyone's guess.
There's nothing quite like a 262xp, why not be patient and snag a good one off ebay?

Dollar for dollar I'd rather have the ported 359 and money in my pocket so long as warranties don't worry you.

Dollar for dollar I'd rather have the ported 359 and money in my pocket so long as warranties don't worry you.
I got $700.00 into my Snellerized 359.I got a good deal on it with 5 tanks run through it and a new B/C plus porting.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wrO8pKjY5dc&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wrO8pKjY5dc&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

The one difference I noticed between my 359 vs the 361 both with 20" bars was when your blocking down in a removal the 359 was not as jumpy which is important at the end of the cut when you got one arm on the saw and arm around the wood. The other was the 359 had a tad more grunt which is more practical than cutting speed in this situation. I've only ran the 357 and that price point made me walk out with a 372 which I havent looked back. Durability wise the 359 will last every bit as long as any pro saw on the market.

There's nothing quite like a 262xp, why not be patient and snag a good one off ebay?

I've never bought anything off e-bay... Don't really know how to do it... It's the old "cant teach an old dog new tricks" thing... To make matters worse, I'm very impatient... Just finished up waiting ten months for a shotgun, and it near killed me.

But, it's a point well taken, and I'll take a look on e-bay...

someone here (name escapes me) is thinking of selling a 262 he picked up last week. i would be all over it bf i would spend more money on a 357/359.
the 262 is the same weight as the those saws with more power (4.8hp).

Latest posts

Back