357XP, where can I get a 9 tooth sprocket?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What kind of work have you done to your saw to warrant a 9-pin? I am assuming this is a race saw?

are we talking .325" 9-pin, or 3/8" 9-pin? If it's the former, then you should be OK (though 3/8" 8-pin would be a better choice). If you're looking for 3/8" 9-pin, that's something that is generally reserved for big displacement ported saws on pipes and things of that sort.

are we talking .325" 9-pin, or 3/8" 9-pin? If it's the former, then you should be OK (though 3/8" 8-pin would be a better choice). If you're looking for 3/8" 9-pin, that's something that is generally reserved for big displacement ported saws on pipes and things of that sort.

I agree that 8-pin 3/8" is preferable, and the chain speed will be practically the same.
It is what I use on my 361, with the 15" bar, for limbing and smaller wood. :rockn: :rockn:

Last edited:
I got a little 254xp I wouldn't mind trying an 8 pin 3/8 on. I am afraid the 9 pin wouldn't do what you think on that saw, unless its piped and running alky. I have found on my small race saws that they cut faster when you keep them a little torquey.

If it is a full race saw, you are on the west coast. That side is not known for cutting small wood in their competitions. I would keep the 7 pin and buy a fast race chain from a good chain builder or learn to build one yourself.

Assuming you are running a stock saw I wood try a 3/8x8 rim. I run one on a muffler modded 2159 with a 15''bar and love how it zips through small softwood in the 6to10'' range. However you will have to check you spline dia my saw has the standard 7/8th spline so no problem getting another rim for it. If you have the small spline I think you are out of luck. Also can you be a bit more specific on the type of chain you are running now .325 or 3/8ths?

Assuming you are running a stock saw I wood try a 3/8x8 rim. I run one on a muffler modded 2159 with a 15''bar and love how it zips through small softwood in the 6to10'' range. However you will have to check you spline dia my saw has the standard 7/8th spline so no problem getting another rim for it. If you have the small spline I think you are out of luck. Also can you be a bit more specific on the type of chain you are running now .325 or 3/8ths?

If Husky won't (they can if they want too), try Baileys, they even have it for the 262xp (much "hotter" candidate, if I may say that)......

If Husky won't (they can if they want too), try Baileys, they even have it for the 262xp (much "hotter" candidate, if I may say that)......
Do you mean a 8pin 3/8th rim I was a little confused by your post. And dam right I like the 262 and 254 too bad they have bent handles on them:D

Do you mean a 8pin 3/8th rim I was a little confused by your post. And dam right I like the 262 and 254 too bad they have bent handles on them:D

Yep, 3/8" x 8, should work really well on the 262xp for smaller wood, and maybe the 254xp and 357xp also - sure does on the Euro MS361....:givebeer:

Yep, 3/8" x 8, should work really well on the 262xp for smaller wood, and maybe the 254xp and 357xp also - sure does on the Euro MS361....:givebeer:
+1 for me! I really like the combo of a 3/8ths x8 on my saw with the short bar call me crazy but you can hear how fast it cuts!

An 8 pin on a 357 is good for playtime but practical in the work place or for serious firewood cutting. I tried an 8 pin on my EHP359 and its performance was lackluster!!!

Back to a 7 pin and it is a whole new ballgame!!!
I liked my 8pin on the 2159 but only cutting small 6 to 10'' wood and 10 being optimistic! all soft wood pine and poplar. But I would'nt want to try it in anything bigger.what kind of wood you cutting?

An 8 pin on a 357 is good for playtime but practical in the work place or for serious firewood cutting. I tried an 8 pin on my EHP359 and its performance was lackluster!!!

Back to a 7 pin and it is a whole new ballgame!!!

That is pretty odd, as my stock Euro MS361 sure has the guts to run a 8-pin 3/8" with the 15" bar, for limbing and smaller bucking (36RSC).

It is slower with the 7-pin, but not by much, really - just more fun to run it with the 8-pin.....

I have never tried the 8-pin with the 18" bar, and don't think I want to either.

Last edited:
That is pretty odd, as my stock Euro MS361 sure has the guts to run a 8-pin 3/8" with the 15" bar, for limbing and smaller bucking (36RSC).

It is slower with the 7-pin, but not by much, really - just more fun to run it with the 8-pin.....

I have never tried the 8-pin with the 18" bar, and don't think I want to either.
Yes those 8 pin rim and a short bar really seam to scream through the wood, like I said before you can hear the difference.With my 18'' bar I alway's use the 7 pin if it can't handle the tree I will use a bigger saw!

I will surely put an 8-pin on my 372 also, and test it with a 16" bar that I have around - I guess it will be pretty fast for bucking........:D :D

Latest posts

Back