359/357xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brent denny

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I am looking to fill the gap between my 353 and 372xp (like I really need to :rolleyes: ). I know I can get the 359 a lot cheaper and it is the same quality. Is there a lot of difference in power? I know the 357 is rated at more hp but I am guessing the 359 may have a bit more torque due to more cc's. Is this correct? Finally, I see a lot of 359's going for good prices on ebay but most of them are e-tech models (cat. converter). Has anyone with an e-tech had any issues with it? I have heard that they may be harder to start but that could just be the user. I appreciate any opinions.

There is a difference in the internals from what I was told (I believe by Dan Henry maybe?)

But I love my 359. Sometimes finicky on gas more than a few weeks old, but that is merely a reminder to get fresh mix. Mine is NOT and Etech model, sorry I can't help you there.

go with the 357xp. i think you'll like it......
i love mine (now that all the bugs are woked out of them). i had one of the first in the states. they had a ton of problems when first introduced here. marty

Hi Brent,
I had a 359 for 2 days. Dan Henry was nice enough to spend a good deal of time on the phone with me going over the internal differences and other pros/cons. Based on our talk and the fact the 359 was an e-tech, I went back and up'ed to the 357xp which has been great. It is a great saw for my needs. !8" bar with a sharp chain and it rocks!
If you are willing to pony up the additional funds you will not be disappointed.
Good Luck.

Brent, by the way the 359ehp ran at the GTG I would purchase a 359...send it to Ed (to be ported) and have a faster saw than a stock 357 for about the same price. It may even out cut your 372 :confused: Just a thought.

Jeff

i love my new 357xp. lots of power. cuts great. the first two we bought had the hard starting thing even after being ran for 20 minutes. we had that automatic compression release thing capped off and havent had a problem. the newest one has been sweet, no complaints.

Max, did Dan explain the differences? I swear it was more than the port. I thought it had a different rod and piston, but I could be wrong. I tried to find the info he posted on another site awhile back and couldn't find it.

Blowdown1 said:
Newfie, no prob. If you were VTEng you would have tried to rationalize how you came up with 9cc.

Just got caught trying to be a funny guy before I dashed out the door. Boy I suck at math for a college grad.

As for the saws, I'd guess I would go with the 357 if I was filling that gap.

Blowdown1 said:
Max, did Dan explain the differences? I swear it was more than the port. I thought it had a different rod and piston, but I could be wrong. I tried to find the info he posted on another site awhile back and couldn't find it.

Somewhere,I think, there's a post by EHP that talks about those differences.

I just bought a 359 etech last week. It runs great.
I have only two tanks of gas thru it. It cranks easy, its got good power to me. My friend has a 357 XP and yes there is a small power difference, but not that noticeable if your a home owner or a light commercial user like me. Save the money go 359. If your going to use it alot and commercial
the 357 will stand up a little better after years of use. I opted for an 18" bar and chain to boost the 359 performance a little bit better, over the stock 20" bar.

Blowdown1,

It was a while back that Dan and I spoke, but I remember him saying the crank was different, porting and a few other things as well. My intentions were to get a real good saw for heavy homeowner firewood cutting. A saw that would last a very long time with proper maint. Like I said, I had the new e-tech 359 but the catlt. cnvtr. scared me off. The catlt. cnvrt. holds to much heat at the exhaust port in my opinion. I am not knocking any 359, but it was just my choice to go with the 357 for the long haul.
I am not sure how to do it, but look into my past posts and there is some good stuff on the 357/359 debate.

HI
There are many differences in the two saws. The 357 does have the full circle crank and the good cylinder made by Mahle. The 359 has a standard crank and from what they tell me the cylinder is built, in house. Those cylinders along with the others that Electro build with the bolt on side plates seem to have a softer base metal then the Mahle. Both cylinders do have excellent plating, so in stock form that doest create a problem.
I recently ran a few tests with a 357 and a piston and cylinder from a donor 359 that had a bad bottom end. I had the 57 ported when I traded in the 59 so I didn't run both cylinders in stock form. Both ported the same the 59 was slower. I found if I ground out the transfer ports on the 59 and made it an open port design, both ran neck and neck. I wont cut the transfers out of a customs cylinder and make it an open port design because of the base metal along with the bolt on side plates. I have some concerns about the cylinder warping when getting hot. With the metal gone in the transfer area along with the bolt on side plates weakening the sides, will it continue to stay round? It may or it may not. I know that I wont do it. I just wish that I would have had a good 59 crank to run in the same case with a 57 top end.
Later
Dan

Is it easier to access the ports for grinding, wiwth the sidecovers? So mmaybe less labor = lower mod price? :p

Dan, by cutting out the "loop" and making them open transfers does it change the power band at all? Do you gain top end and lose some midrange grunt? Thanks, John

Back