359 / 357XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cut mostly softwoods. Doug fir is the most common firewood around here. We do have a lot of oak, but its usually pretty small diameter. 12" and under.

Then that saw sounds like a hot ticket. :)

You've got me contemplating a wrap on mine too, but I think the 2166 will get one first.

Then that saw sounds like a hot ticket. :)

You've got me contemplating a wrap on mine too, but I think the 2166 will get one first.
I got one for my 2172... I think it was about $80, maybe one of the site sponsors could hook you up.

I put those big dawgs on my 359, with a 16" bar. Gotta say, it looks a bit foolish on the 16", I think with a 20 or 24" they would look right.

Just called husky dealer about flippy caps, price for gas cap was $2.59 and oil cap $3.87. I thought that was really cheap, so I double checked the part numbers and confirmed they were correct.

Not bad price to not have to scrench it. I don't over tighten them after filling, but sometimes they are too tight to get back off, hands are sweaty, gloves slipping!!!

Cheap up-grade:rock::barbecue:

I don't think both flippy caps work on the 3 series saws i remember hearing only one worked but not sure which one it was.

I don't think both flippy caps work on the 3 series saws i remember hearing only one worked but not sure which one it was.
Just went and checked and the oil flippy cap is .925 O.D., the 346oe oil hole is .904, the oe oil cap fits on the 550, but not the flippy on the 346. Looks like it needs .010" ground off the inner lip of the oil tank hole. Prolly drain the tank, stuff some paper towels in the hole to keep filings from getting in, and lightly grind it.

Other thought was blow a balloon up inside the tank and then squeeze a sponge into hole. Might be able to shave it with a carbide edge so u get a big sliver and not a bunch of filings. I have a carbide knife sharpener I will try first.

Turning the cap down doesn't look possible to me, yet. Still drinking on it.

You're welcome Don and glad I could help. That saw is in really nice shape...............too nice not to rebuild. :drinking:
If one of the previous owners had cleaned the cylinder better after cleaning up a roached piston before he ran it, I would not have had to rebuild the bottom end. It is a very low hour saw! Thanks man!

Latest posts

Back