359 crankcase

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Northerner

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
hi folks, digging into a nice looking 359 that iam doing a complete tear down and rebuild on today. I was already suspecting something before cleaning the case, sure enough, pitted beyond anything I’ve seen before. Not just paint, some holes look pretty deep. If it were for myself I’d try to run it, after a leak test, but was gonna sell this saw and Iam not selling like this. Anyone ever attempt a repair on something like this? Successful?
I have a 357 case sitting here, but can’t use my splitter on it due to the crank stuffers. 77942708-1C6F-4ED7-AB47-E12BB20706C5.png

If it was for something I was going to keep. I would rough it up and fill it with some devcon structural epoxy. But I wouldn't sell anything I did that too.

You can split the case of the 357 without a splitter. Several different ways. Probably the safest and easiest. Is to remove all the case screws, install a flywheel nut. Heat the case around the bearing area and tap the crank out with a dead blow hammer. One side at a time and it should go quickly and easily.

I wish I had a extra case around. I need one for a 359 myself. Consider yourself lucky hahahahaha.

I wonder if they had more mag rot issues on the 359's? Seems like most of them I come across have issues in one area or another. Or maybe just the people that bought them just didn't know any better on how to store them.

Steven

I've been through several 359s / 357s' and never saw this before.

I have two 359's that are rotted behind the recoil and a 2159 that is rotted by the av mount holes.

Probably a fluke thing for my area. Nobody stores saws on a shelf. They all end up on the machine shed floor.

Steven

Yes this saw had been sitting for quite awhile apart in a box, along with a 570. I will try your suggestion boat guy Steve.
It’s a shame they aren’t stored properly, other than that these saws are in good condition besides the pistons. Iam suspecting the plastic clamp on intake boot is what burned this one up. Cylinder is fine though.

Latest posts

Back