• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold 36" Bar Stihl Mount

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually a 36" 3/8 050 isn't uncommon in a Stihl OEM bar. Though from other manufacturers it is a little less common.

And the mount is Stihl 3003, Oregon D025.

I've got an 050 36" wide nose Stihl ES bar. Hadn't planned on selling it, but I'd consider selling for the right price. Let me know if you're interested.

97b9c4d615ca2a9994ea3b5c3a08631f.jpg

Well here is my deal. Scored a nice 288 that I plan to try my hand at milling. I have all Stihl wide nose bars and stihl chains to match. Found out at a gtg that my stihl wide nose bars and stihl chains won't fit my 372xp I have. I guess the chains need to be 1 dl longer. So I just assumed that with this 288, if I want to run the chains I already have, I need to get a standard "narrow nose" bar. The saw is apart right now but I can probably get a bar and chain on there to see if my wide nose bars and chains will work.

Rory,

If you lengthen the stud slot on your current bars to the same length as the slot on a Husqvarna Large mount, you should be able to run them on your 288 with a 12-9mm adapter.

Rory,

If you lengthen the stud slot on your current bars to the same length as the slot on a Husqvarna Large mount, you should be able to run them on your 288 with a 12-9mm adapter.
I had the same thought. When I ran a Stihl bar on my 2171, I had to lengthen the bar slot.

Going to go to a machine shop and see what it would take to do all my wide nose bars.

Rory,

If it is cost prohibitive, you can do them yourself with a good set of burr bits, dremel mini cutoff wheels, decent drill bits, and polishing bits. It just takes time, patience, and practice.

You can make the slot longer with a 4" angle grinder as well. Don't forget to make sure the bar adjuster hole is opened up to fit. I can't remember if the 288 has a smaller pin than the 395.

If you're going to mill switch to .063" bars or plan to run an aux oiler. I had to do that on a 390 with a GB bar.

You can make the slot longer with a 4" angle grinder as well. Don't forget to make sure the bar adjuster hole is opened up to fit. I can't remember if the 288 has a smaller pin than the 395.

If you're going to mill switch to .063" bars or plan to run an aux oiler. I had to do that on a 390 with a GB bar.
So you experienced overheating with a .050 gauge setup?

Do you switch out your bars to match what size wood you are milling or do you always just run a 36 or whatever for everything?

I wouldn't say it overheated but it was hotter than the .063" set ups and needed the aux to keep it oiled.

I use whatever size I need. For milling though .063" is better even on 24". I use from 24-48".

16" and under 24" over that I use a 32". If I need to max my 30" mill out it takes a 36" bar to leave the spikes on.

I will probably just take my wide nose bars and get them machined.

Anyone know how much longer you need to widen the oval to make the chains work. IIRC the chain was really close to fitting on the bar as is. I am thinking just a 1/4" longer?

1/2". You can do it with an angle grinder or anything like that. Might take 5 minutes.

Back