360t or ms192

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lawn Goat

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am not a professional arborist... I run a small lawn care/ landscape business in Pittsburgh, PA and need a good saw. I have read soooo much and am more undecided than when I started researching. I am looking for a top handle for pruning, small limbing and occassional cutting of felled limbs. I like the echo 330 and 360 and the stihl 192 and 200. the 330 is out because i want moe displacement. The 200 is out due to price. So now between the 360 and 192 I want the better saw. I am leaning towards the 360 for power and price, but see many comments about mods to these models. To be honest, I do dot really want to mod anything for fear of damaging the saw... I want to use it out of the box after running a tank of fuel thru it. I've read alot about factory settings and it has caused me to write this. Any help appreciated.

The 192 is 30 cc and gutless, the 360 is 36.3 cc and the limiter caps should be pulled and carb adjusted properly as most come lean. The 360 will cut good stock but REALLY wakes up with a muff modd. Better quality with the Echo as I think the 192 has the same engine as a MS170 . Steve

I bought the 360T a couple of months ago as a back up climbing saw, and I am very disappointed with it. Its hard to start when cold, and absolutely hates hot weather.If your outside temp is over 90 degrees, it has a tendency to flood over and over again.Not a good climber if you end up wrestling with the thing up in a tree. When the saw is cold, it takes it generally six to seven pulls to pop, then six more to fire where it will idle with no trigger.Allow it to idle for at least a minute before giving it any throttle, or it will die on the spot and you have to give it six more pulls to get it started again.

I have tinkered with the carb, and even dropped it off at our local saw shop after giving up on it myself. They tinkered with it a bit, and couldnt find a thing wrong with it, but still the condition exists.

Maybe I am too picky, but every other saw in my fleet pops on the second or third pull, then off with the choke and fires on first pull. A few seconds of running at idle and you are good to give it a little throttle and a few warm up blips, then its in the wood. Not this saw.Plan on five minutes from the time you haul it out to being able to put it to the wood.

Over all, its a decent performing saw if you can manage to get it started, but no where near the quality of the 200t. The ignition switch/choke switch feels very flimsy and sticky, and I wont be surprised when it breaks. i would have never bought this saw if I had seen it in person, I bought it online for $225.You get what you pay for.

I have a 192T and I use it a lot. It seems the trees around here have lots of limbs and branches and it takes a lot of work just to get the little stuff out of the way so you can start cutting firewood. It starts and runs fine, and I have a 12" bar on it and use it to cut limbs and branches up to about 4 inches.....then it is time to fire up the MS260 to get more speed.

I am sure that a professional who climbs would appreciate the added speed of of the MS200T, but for a firewood cutter like me the 192T works just fine.

I have both a 200T and a 192T. Better saw is the 200T for sure!!
I use the 200T for larger stuff and the 192T for smaller stuff.

The 192T has served me well and I have no complaints.
BUT...I use it as it was designed for small projects like you are describing.

There are several dealers close to me than can get parts and do repairs.
Other than Home Depot...I have no Echo dealers.
My Home Depot cannot get parts nor will they do repairs.

If you're not in a hurry and have patience...you can every now and then
find a decent used 200T on eBay for about $300 or so.

I think the Stihl 192T should serve your purposes very well if you want NEW.
They also hold their value well...a decent used one on eBay goes for about $200
:cheers:
J2F

Last edited:
I am not a professional arborist... I run a small lawn care/ landscape business in Pittsburgh, PA and need a good saw. I have read soooo much and am more undecided than when I started researching. I am looking for a top handle for pruning, small limbing and occassional cutting of felled limbs. I like the echo 330 and 360 and the stihl 192 and 200. the 330 is out because i want moe displacement. The 200 is out due to price. So now between the 360 and 192 I want the better saw. I am leaning towards the 360 for power and price, but see many comments about mods to these models. To be honest, I do dot really want to mod anything for fear of damaging the saw... I want to use it out of the box after running a tank of fuel thru it. I've read alot about factory settings and it has caused me to write this. Any help appreciated.

Hey lawn goat,
If you are using this saw for your business, that's what it sounds like...a good saw will make you money in the long run by how fast and efficiently that tool can help you complete your work, and how often you have to service and replace it. With that thought...if there's any way to pull together enough scratch for a 200T...go for it. Toughest, fastest, meanest little top-handle on the planet. The high price is offset by the durability thing...most of the tree service guys i know used to buy 192Ts, but discovered that they were buying 2 of them as often as buying one 200T.
Just the way i see it...
Good Luck, keep us posted on what you decide!

The 360T is Echos most powerful top handle saw. Trouble is it's still just a low-class plasticy POS at the end of the day. We used them for pruning in the forests years back where the saws clock up big hours quickly and EVERY one of them overheated and scored their engines no matter how much tweaking and pissing around with the settings you tried. Repeat: Pieces of crap.

The Echo brigade will tell you you have to gut out the muffler and re-set the jets etc.. etc.. THEN the 360T is a "good" saw... (with zero warranty) what a crock. But these Echo "experts" simply don't do the hours to know what really happens to the cheapo 360T under stress. BTW Echos five year warranty is a complete con aimed at the gullible. Just get the liteweight 192T and you won't have to worry about all the bullshet and nonsense you'll get from the Echo

300$=192t

i have put 90 to 100 tanks on my 192t. i think for part time tree work and fire wood, it is just right.full time 200t hands down.it is great for light stuff and some climb work.i use the 260 pro for most work from 4inch to 12 inch and 044 for bigger work.k

The 360T is Echos most powerful top handle saw. Trouble is it's still just a low-class plasticy POS at the end of the day. We used them for pruning in the forests years back where the saws clock up big hours quickly and EVERY one of them overheated and scored their engines no matter how much tweaking and pissing around with the settings you tried. Repeat: Pieces of crap.

The Echo brigade will tell you you have to gut out the muffler and re-set the jets etc.. etc.. THEN the 360T is a "good" saw... (with zero warranty) what a crock. But these Echo "experts" simply don't do the hours to know what really happens to the cheapo 360T under stress. BTW Echos five year warranty is a complete con aimed at the gullible. Just get the liteweight 192T and you won't have to worry about all the bullshet and nonsense you'll get from the Echo

You already admitted in past post you never pulled the limiter caps and tuned them right. Pulling the limiter caps and tuning right is not bullshet nonsensr, it's easy take anout 10 minutes. My 36cc Echo cuts just about twice as fast as my POS MS170 and any 192t Steve

Seriously...I might just buy a big ass saw and eat more red meat or something

the feedback is awsome. I truly think the 192 is a good choice and other than power, im sure it will give lots of use. As to parts... i use partstree alot... service is very good recently and I have more local Stihl dealers than probably needed. I use alot of stihl equipment and it it a great product.

The 360 really catches my eye because I use several echo hedge clippers over the stihl clippers. I like them... price is way better than the stihls and they see alot of use and I am not exactly delicate with my equipment. I had a hc150 go down when I hit a steel bar hidden in a shrub... that was the only problem I ever had with an echo clipper and all it did was pop the shear pin. I fixed it on site after job was done and it took all of 5 minutes. I quess I am hoping for the same in the echo saw.

I do not go to bed with any brand by its name alone... I use alot of different brands depending on the equipment... I like em all and try to use them all. I originally wanted this top handle for the light weight but am considering buying something bigger and just dealing with it... the idea of one handed chainsaw limbing sounds great but also sounds dangerous after working 8 hours in the sun then a client asks me to cut a few limbs down. I will keep you posted and greatly appreciate everyones feedback and time.

Another consideration might be to look for a good used 020T. These tend to be a good deal cheaper than even a used 200T.

We have two 360T and a 200T that we use in the bucket truck. We have had good luck with the 360T but what i hate about them is the doggs are too short. The limb rubs on the case and the doggs never dig in.

I just want to say thanks to all for help

I just talked to a fellow in Vegas and bought his ms200t off him for $349. Saw is about 4 years old... has been well cared for and used properly. I made the decision based on the fact that I never see any complaints about the ms 200... its the best for what it is intended. I will keep you posted on it. Thanks again everyone.

Stihl 200t

I recieved my 200t yesterday. I got it used from a seasoned tree guy and it probably runs better than new. Its nicely broken in... carb set perfect and the little guy screams. I put in some fuel (stihl hi grade mix/ 93 octane) and put in a new plug and away we go... right thru some 8" locust in the backyard suprisingly easy. Took it with me to work today and cut down a few small sumacs and a fallen limb with ease. So far... this saw starts on the first or second pull, which is awsome and it is so light for power it has. All in all, I am exstreamly pleased. Thanks guys.

I'm really glad you got a good used 200t that runs like new...music to my ears!!
They really crank out the rpms and can thus cut larger stuff than one would think possible.
This saw should do everything you need of a top hander for a very long time.
It's also a Pro saw and can be easily rebuilt if ever need be.
I am just real happy for you !! :msp_thumbup:
J2F

Echo 360t

Happy new year to everyone!

I picked up a nice lightly used 360t last month, looked it over and tuned it up. The saw runs and cuts good... it was a good buy for $130 and I like it.

This saw seems equivilent to a ms192 that I used recently and although I like the saw, I have to admit the ms192t is more comfortable to me.

For anyone researching to buy a top handle saw.... the 360t is not equivilent to a 200t period. It looks closely the same in the specs, but it is not and I really do not see any modifications to this saw that will bring it up to the 200t performance level. It is similar to the ms192 in my opinion,

Have a great 2012 all!

I picked up a nice lightly used 360t last month, looked it over and tuned it up. The saw runs and cuts good... it was a good buy for $130 and I like it.

This saw seems equivalent to a ms192 that I used recently and although I like the saw, I have to admit the ms192t is more comfortable to me.

For anyone researching to buy a top handle saw.... the 360t is not equivalent to a 200t period. It looks closely the same in the specs, but it is not and I really do not see any modifications to this saw that will bring it up to the 200t performance level. It is similar to the ms192 in my opinion,

Have a great 2012 all!

Good deal on the 360T..!! Hope it serves you well..!!

And the same back at ya on a great 2012..!!
J2F

This saw seems equivilent to a ms192 that I used recently and although I like the saw, I have to admit the ms192t is more comfortable to me.

For anyone researching to buy a top handle saw.... the 360t is not equivilent to a 200t period. It looks closely the same in the specs, but it is not and I really do not see any modifications to this saw that will bring it up to the 200t performance level. It is similar to the ms192 in my opinion,

Have a great 2012 all!

Have you muff modded it and pulled the limiter caps, my rear handle 36 cc Echo absolutally buries a 192T NOT even close. Steve

I like the Echo saws, but I have to admit my 192C is the fave in my toolbox for small work and pruning. It's Echo counterpart is more the 330T not the 360T, and while I never had one of those I do have Shindaiwa's 326T which is supposed to be the equivalent of the 330T and it doesn't compete with the 192 despite pulling the limiters and retuning. I had more trouble with that thing than any of my other saws combined. Last time out the oil pump gave up.

Latest posts

Back