361 spikes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stihl also has a replacement chain catcher for use with bars longer than 20" that comes in the form of inner and outer dogs with the roller chain catcher at the bottom (part #1135 650 7750). The spikes aren't any bigger, though, but it gets you a pair instead of just the one inner dog.

attachment.php

Ok i am confused Musher says the spikes are the same size as the stock ones but scootr shows a pic with alot biiger spikes. I need bigger spikes how do i get them will this part number do it? part #1135 650 7750
Thanks for the help!

scootr shows a pic with alot biiger spikes.

Only the bottom spike that is holding the catcher is bigger. The rest of the spikes are the same as the stock MS361. I think they look a lot bigger when you are not used to seeing them on the outside of the sprocket cover. I thought the pics looked big too and had to check my saw to confirm the stock spikes I had were the same size.

I ordered my kit here in Australia and was pleasantly surprised at the price. AUD $36. :clap:

Last edited:
They are not the same size as the stock dog. They are bigger. They are not as big as the big fallin' dogs for larger displacement saws... but they are bigger than the stock single dog. Not just the bottom. The bottom is dropped and enlarged for the ceramic roller chain catcher.

Gary

spikes

Ok so what do you suggest that i do to get a bigger spike on the inside of the saw? Should i just by the kit and throw the outside spike and chain catcher away? Or does anyone know of an after market one that is bigger for the inside only?
Thanks for any help, you would think stihl would come up with something, we cant be the only ones with this issue.

Ok so what do you suggest that i do to get a bigger spike on the inside of the saw? Should i just by the kit and throw the outside spike and chain catcher away? Or does anyone know of an after market one that is bigger for the inside only?
Thanks for any help, you would think stihl would come up with something, we cant be the only ones with this issue.

Sorry I missed the part where you explained why you want a larger set of spikes on the inside only?

Sorry woodchuck i guess i should have made that clearer. Anyway, my concern with the outside ones is that it may lead to the outside cover being broken, on my 310 it was all cracked up and it didnt even have the spikes on it. Am i just worrying about nothing? That cover on the 310 was $69 to replace!

You're worrying about nothing... Get the dual dog kit for the MS361 with the ceramic roller... about 35 bucks from your dealer.

I don't know how hard you would have to reef on a set of dogs to break your clutch cover... but that seems odd to me. Never seen it.

Gary

Sorry woodchuck i guess i should have made that clearer. Anyway, my concern with the outside ones is that it may lead to the outside cover being broken, on my 310 it was all cracked up and it didnt even have the spikes on it. Am i just worrying about nothing? That cover on the 310 was $69 to replace!

I would think that having the outside dawg in place would actually give it more protection. I have the double dawgs on my 361 and love them. I would not go back to a single again. They really help to square up the cut so its good and straight, not to mention great for gripping in thick bark.

Well after cutting stumps today, i called the local dealer and ordered the double spikes! Just can not believe the stihl wood have the stock ones sooo short. Thanks woodchuck and Gary for you HO.

I will be putting them on the 361. The 310 is currently out of commision and should be going under the wrench shortley,,, Just got the last part yesterday.

The cover on my 361 is metal, and the cover on a 310 is plastic. I don't know if all 361s are that way, but I'm not at all worried about mine cracking.

Ok i am confused Musher says the spikes are the same size as the stock ones but scootr shows a pic with alot biiger spikes. I need bigger spikes how do i get them will this part number do it? part #1135 650 7750
Thanks for the help!

if you want even bigger, throw on the 440 dual dogs, with a little grinding of course

Just ordered these items today at my local STIHL dealer:

Spike kit for the 361
Tool holder from the 460 R
NGK spark plug for my 361

They only have the spark plug in stock but the warehouse lists the spike kit and the tool holder in stock and it's expected to arrive on wed. (the day I go back to work :mad: ) when the batch of orders gets sent out tomorrow morning.

Finally got a chance to do some cutting with the double spikes on the 361, What an improvement! I would highly recommend this upgrade. Also both the 310 and the 361 have the metal cover

Picked up the tool holder and the 361 spikes ;)

1007081503.jpg

I didn't have to drill anything...the holes were there already.

that tool holder rocks

ok what is the part # on the tool holder? I gotta have that I'm on my third scrench because I often boot-pack in with my saw on my shoulder and the scrench in my back pocket....until its gone that is....oh by the way the powerbox fits the 361 like a glove.i gotta say stihl needs to make a square box with all the snap-in wall features the husky box has. but as my N.G. hotstick buddy says "its an anti-theft device..who is gonna risk jail for a husky"

Last edited:
Back