361 spikes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the info. Looking forward to using it/them on my saw. I cut some large diameter red oak a couple of weekends ago and noticed the single dog was not really big enough to bite through the bark. Hope these will be an improvement. BTW, I think the MSRP for the kit is $30.

Greg

musher said:
Why remove the factory chain catcher? From what I can tell, it isn't in the way.

It just collects crap if you don't and you can get twigs jammed between the roller and the orignal catcher. It's just one screw and a few seconds... Also, the dogs are the same size EXCEPT thay have one exta-large tooth at the bottom.

I lined a set up on an 036 crankcases this afternoon and it looks like they will fit the 036/034 also.

Lakeside53,

Question. I noticed that the dogs for a 390 look larger than the 361, 440 and the 460 in the 2005 catalog. Why would that be if true? Also, the clutch cover for the 361 is the only one that does not have the holes drilled through (partially or completely) to accommodate the kit, unlike the 390, etc. (?)

Greg

Greg Lees said:
Lakeside53,

Question. I noticed that the dogs for a 390 look larger than the 361, 440 and the 460 in the 2005 catalog. Why would that be if true? Also, the clutch cover for the 361 is the only one that does not have the holes drilled through (partially or completely) to accommodate the kit, unlike the 390, etc. (?)

Greg

Not sure about the sizes of the new dogs, but the 361 cover is the first (it's a newer style cover than the other models that all use the same older 036 cover) that doesn't have the holes completely drilled though. 99% never mount the outboard dogs anyhow.. and they are really only required to hold the roller type chain catcher.

Big dogs may look cool, but they are only required for big bark. A sharp chain goes a long way to not needing big dogs....

Agreed. I think the pair will be a plus for me on large diameter oak (lots of loose bark and moss). The one that comes standard on the saw is of little effect. Also, if the roller catcher is a better set-up for safety, then all the better...

Greg

Lakeside53,

The roller chain catch kit came in yesterday and when I opened the package, I noticed the dogs were very rough stamped and zinc/galvanized coated silver (not the finished bronze color of the original dog and all the ferris hardware that came on my saw.) In fact, all of the hardware in the kit, except the dogs, are finished as those on the saw. They look kinda cheap.

The dogs fit, but are not the quality I would expect from Stihl. Is that how they are?

Greg

Greg Lees said:
The dogs fit, but are not the quality I would expect from Stihl. Is that how they are?

Greg

Until Andy logs on, and can confirm, I'll just say that that's how the larger 660 dogs are constructed. They may not be as visually pleasing as the nice cadmium colored ones, but they work and wear just fine.

Jeff

musher said:
Stihl also has a replacement chain catcher for use with bars longer than 20" that comes in the form of inner and outer dogs with the roller chain catcher at the bottom (part #1135 650 7750). The spikes aren't any bigger, though, but it gets you a pair instead of just the one inner dog.

attachment.php

This is a good Ideal for anybody using a 361. the stock chain catcher gets bent up.
Double dogs I love it why could this not have been stock.

Last edited:
I have a MS360 Pro and was wondering if they make that same spike combo with the chain catcher for it also, I have messed with a set of 064 dawgs and like mentioned above, one is longer plus I do not really need the extended length

Part Number for the kit?

What is the Part Number for the kit?

For the 361.

Regards

Joseph

It looks like you would have to disassemble the chain catcher every time you took the clutch cover off to change to a fresh chain. Is this so, and how much trouble is it?

Ian

Haywire Haywood said:
It looks like you would have to disassemble the chain catcher every time you took the clutch cover off to change to a fresh chain. Is this so, and how much trouble is it?

Ian

Nope. It's bolted on one side, and just a slide pin on the other. You can see in the diagram how it slides into the saw side of the dogs. The chain catcher stays in place as the covers comes off. You don't even know it's there.

Hi everybody,

just reading this has got me pondering how to get matching dogs/dawgs/spikes for my European MS460.

Stihl sent my dealer a massive (compared to the standard one on the inside) spike thing for the outside which in no way imaginable matches the inside one. The Stihl "rep" told my dealer "it's the right part and must fit!". Of course anybody can see that it isn't.

So, my question is has anybody got part numbers for a "matching set" for my Euro MS460, that way I could give my dealer a hint and make things easier.

Thanks for any help.

Bye

Latest posts

Back