361 vs 441 - Decided. Also 026 question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adrianrog

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've been posting questions about whether I should be looking for a 361 or 441 class saw and everyone's been very helpful. I was still undecided. I've been watching craigslist for the last couple of weeks and saw one or two promising saws, but they were really far away.

Today, an MS440 came up for sale and it looked good in the picture. I called and it was a homeowner owned saw and he'd used it to clean up his back yard. He was moving to Florida and had the saw listed for $500. He was only 13.5 miles away, so I went to see it. It was in great shape, the original 20" bar had 95% of the original paint. It started up well. and everything worked as it should. It included a full case and 5 chains. We struck a deal at $425. He said he just had it serviced (all the chains sharpened, new spark plug, new air filter (I think) to get it ready to sell.

I wish the chains hadn't been sharpened on a machine, but oh well. I'm well pleased, I got a little used saw at what I believe is a decent price. We took the kids to see a movie tonight so I didn't get a chance to cut anything yet. It's also too dark to take a picture, but maybe in a day or two. One down and one to go. I'm looking out for an ms261 sized saw now.

Also, is there any reason not to consider an 026 instead of a MS260 or MS261? What would be a fair price for a purchased, but un-used saw? Suppsedly the guy bought it and never used it. The asking price is $425 and I know I'm not paying that, but I'm wondering what would be a fair price. At $425, it might not even be worth trying to negotiate.

-Adrian

Congratulations on a great saw...IMO i'd prefer the 440 over the other two you were considering.

congrats.... can't go wrong with a 440.

had several MS260 and 026 ... sold the 260 and kept the 026 if that says anything.

my 026 has super low hours and looks like NEW ... running 3/8 chain instead of .325.

Good deal on that saw. and close to 460 power (440- 70cc, 460- 76.5).

Where in GA? I am north of atlanta (gwinett county- 10 min or so from lake lanier).

There is a lot of deals on saws up here too. homeowner use. cleanup. cut down a few trees. dont need it anymore.

Lot of stihls listed in atlanta area.

To answer your second question. 026 is a great limb saw/small firewood/small jobs around the house. 260 is just a newer version of it.

I just picked up a new 211. No vibration at all. 211,261,441 based on same platform. no vibration at all. 50 percent less emissions. Can get a lot more done on a tank of gas then 026/260. Much more confortable to use.

J.

Last edited:
I'm between Douglasville and Carrollton. I work in Austell though. You're right, there are several saws listed in Atlanta, but only a couple of pro saws and it's the same guy listing them over and over again. He as a 360 and a 361 at pretty reasonable prices ($325 and $375), but is in Commerce which is 2 hours each way for me. The as new 026 is from Novemeber, but I emailed him today and he still has it (no surprise there). There are plenty of non-pro saws, but I have one of those already.

I like the idea of less gas and less vibrations. Now is probably not the best time to be looking for saws, I'd bet there are plenty in the summer. -Adrian

Last edited:
Better be glad you didn't dilly-dally around on the 440 or it would have been long gone. The 026 being "For Sale" over a month speaks volumes on whether it's a good buy.

Excellent buy, now you have the best saw Stihl has ever made and at a decent price.
Take care of it and it'll last you a life time, nor will you ever lose that much money on it if you ever decide to sell or trade it down the road. New to you saw rep!

Also, is there any reason not to consider an 026 instead of a MS260 or MS261? What would be a fair price for a purchased, but un-used saw? Suppsedly the guy bought it and never used it. The asking price is $425 and I know I'm not paying that, but I'm wondering what would be a fair price. At $425, it might not even be worth trying to negotiate.

-Adrian

Adrian, $425.00 seems high for an 026, even if it hasn't been ran. A collector might be willing to pay that for a NOS saw to display, but not someone looking for a saw to use. Keep your eyes open, you should be able to score a 026/MS260/MS261 for a much better price. FWIW my used MS361 cost $300.00, & someone here scored a near-mint MS361 for $250.00.

Good deal on that saw. and close to 460 power (440- 70cc, 460- 76.5).

Where in GA? I am north of atlanta (gwinett county- 10 min or so from lake lanier).

There is a lot of deals on saws up here too. homeowner use. cleanup. cut down a few trees. dont need it anymore.

Lot of stihls listed in atlanta area.

To answer your second question. 026 is a great limb saw/small firewood/small jobs around the house. 260 is just a newer version of it.

I just picked up a new 211. No vibration at all. 211,261,441 based on same platform. no vibration at all. 50 percent less emissions. Can get a lot more done on a tank of gas then 026/260. Much more confortable to use.

J.

Just a note the 211 is not the same platform as the other two! Its a clamshell saw the others are pro-saw build

Thats a great buy on a like-new 440 IMO.

And I agree with the others on that 026 being way over-priced. The average price for near-mint 260/026 is around 300-350 bucks. In average condition, they usually bring 250-300. I would not give over 350 for any used 260/026 unless it was only ran once or something like that.

Agreed that 425 is way too high, but I wonder if its even worth trying. Supposedly he bought it home and started it once, but never cut anything with it. Does $250 sound like a reasonable offer or do you think I'll offend him?

Too much on the 026. Go buy a new 261 or 346 for a few bucks more or a good used one of either for $250. The 026 will be used if you use it, might as well buy a good used one and save the bucks.

Too much on the 026. Go buy a new 261 or 346 for a few bucks more or a good used one of either for $250. The 026 will be used if you use it, might as well buy a good used one and save the bucks.

X2 I was never impressed with the 026's I had. The new 261 sounds impressive and the 346's are impressive.

A really nice compliment to the MS440 is the MS261. Three pounds lighter full of fuel/oil with each topped up with fuel/oil. 20" bar/chain. You are set with that combo. The money you saved on your 440 will average down the price of the 261

The 440 is my Jewel. The 261 really changed after 11 tanks of hard running. I would estimate another 10% or more in performance. And responsiveness allot. I really like this saw. And feels good for topping once the bigger wood and jobs are done with the 440.

Also Stihl has a TWO year warranty on any homeowner buying a saw and also a pack of Ultra Oil for 2011!!

I'm between Douglasville and Carrollton. I work in Austell though. You're right, there are several saws listed in Atlanta, but only a couple of pro saws and it's the same guy listing them over and over again. He as a 360 and a 361 at pretty reasonable prices ($325 and $375), but is in Commerce which is 2 hours each way for me. The as new 026 is from Novemeber, but I emailed him today and he still has it (no surprise there). There are plenty of non-pro saws, but I have one of those already.

I like the idea of less gas and less vibrations. Now is probably not the best time to be looking for saws, I'd bet there are plenty in the summer. -Adrian

Adrian

Austell is nice. I worked six flags one summer on weekends.

Never been to douglasville or carrollton.

I must be the only guy in gwinnett county with a stihl 066. At least that I know of...

is a 361, 211, 066 crazy for a guy who lives in a townhome?

But yes you did real good on that saw.

Oh yea I saw those listings on CL too. That guy in commerce has at leasdt 4 saws listed. all stihl.

homeowner use? business use?

gotta watch out for that.

those saws ridden hard put away wet? or average use?

always gotta be careful!

again good deal on new saw and enjoy it.

Latest posts

Back