362c. Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1legwoodchopper

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello folks. Just scored a 362c for $425. Has a 20" ES bar on it and it's probably in 85-90% of new condition. Compression was solid so I went for it.

Couple of questions.

1. The Palm grip safety has a loud click and is rather stiff to depress when compared to my 028.035, and 038. I've read its some new safety feature. When you depress the whole cylinder area moves. However, the saw functions as it should. Is this normal?

2. What's max bar in your esteemed opinions? I Run a 25 on the 038, 20's on the 034 and 5100s. I'm giving the 028 to my brother in law so it's a moot point.

3. Lots of duplication I know but I'd love to run a longish bar and carbide chain. I'm clearing pasture of cedar, mesquite, and scrubby oaks. Spraying not an option. 3 man crew hence the duplication. I want something to flush cut as best as possible and it's going to see grim if not dirt. Would is run a 25", skip, full chisel, in carbide (if they make it that way). More for reach than size of wood.

Hope I bought a good saw for $425. Seems opinions are mixed on it. It fit the budget and wasn't built in the 70's, 80's, and is a Stihl. The dealer network is not to be underestimated. Please let me know yalls thoughts.

Thanks,
Jason

You got a good deal on that saw. I presume it is not a C-M?

I run a 20" bar on mine, and prefer RS or square file. I have carbide for it, but it is not full chisel, and the saw feels like it is running half speed with it.

I'm sure you can pull a 24" bar, but don't know if you will want to, and not sure if they make the carbide in RS or skip. For dirty conditions, simi chisel may be better.

Unless you have some really big stuff, I think I would stick with a 20" bar, I think you will like it much better. An 044/440 or 460/461 will pull a 24" a lot easier.

Good deal and should handle the bars you mentioned. I'd hate putting a top of the line saw of that condition in the dirt. Think I would add a good 026 or another 034 for dirt duty. Those late 80s and early 90s Stihls are still awesome saws.

Great deal. I don't think I it will have a problem with the 25" bar and chain. Your at the limits of the saw. Semi-skip or full-skip will help. Not cutting 25" of oak will help too. Randy (mastermind) has found a way to really wake up the 362 with porting. There was a guy on here that was offering square grinding chains on mail order. So it's not out of the realm of possibility of having a custom chain built for your needs. Seeing how it's dirty ground/stumping work. I would go with carbide or semi-chisel.

Thanks for the insight. Oddly, was at a pawn shop buying a torch valve set and some other odds and ends tool wise and a guy came to pawn it. Oil patch guy who was loosing his job. Pawn shop offered $350. I upped it to $425. Never know with this things but so far it appears to be a nice find. It's a ms362c. The palm safety is different for sure.

The wood isn't big but fairly hard and awful dirty. The long bar is to reach under the bottom limbs without limping the tree. Makes for extra work cleaning up. Anyway, the 038 mag is my big wood rig. This is really a specialized approach trying to make my life easier.

Again, I'm grateful for the comments.

It may also be a pre-Mtronic C-Q saw. They made them. Large lever on the top of the back handle. Quick-stop brake mechanism. If it is a non-Mtronic model there will be holes in the right side of the air filter cover for tuning the carb. If it is a C-M M-tronic there will not be any holes there. They also make a C-MQ now of course. They all say 362c on the side badge.

A 25 inch bar is not a problem for the 362. It has the same oil pump as the 361 and will oil a 25 inch bar. I commonly run my 361s with 25 inch bars with full comp and skip, depending in what I am cutting. Now the SawTroll will tell you that anything bigger than an 18 is too bug for a 60cc saw... and that the 362 s a POS. But that's the Troll.

There were Q models on several Stihl saws before M-tronic was available, including the 361, the 441, the 362. The Q model is and was not available with the V or W (arctic) option saws.

Back