362xp ve ms 361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

creaid

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'm looking into getting a new saw. help me decide. it will be wearing a 20" bar. thanks for your help.

My only saw as of now is the husky 350.

361 = $575.00
362xp = $600.00

Last edited:
The 362XP is not what it appears. It is a small saw in a big package. The 262XP was a big saw in a small package. The 362XP uses the 372XP case, and the 372XP isn't that much more $ in most cases.

Yep, the 362xp powerhead has a lot more weight and bulk than the MS361.

If you consider that one, get the power of the 372xp as well as the bulk and weight.

You might as well price a 372 and see how much more it is than a 361.

I assume you will be cutting hardwoods with it correct?

You might as well price a 372 and see how much more it is than a 361.

I assume you will be cutting hardwoods with it correct?

Yes all hardwood.

Will the 361 turn the 20" bar with no problems? I can't stand bogging a saw.

Yes all hardwood.

Sure it will, but I regard 20" bars as mainly 70cc+ territory - others see it way differently, and use 25" bars on the 361......

They get away with it, at least with full skip chain.

Last edited:
Yes all hardwood.

No problem with the 20" bar in hardwood. I've cut and bucked about 12 cords of oak and hickory lately with my 361 with RSC chain buried in up to 30" wood with no problem. Good luck.:givebeer: :givebeer:

I think you can bog a 361 with a 20" bar. I can. With that one parameter, you will prefer a larger saw.

That being said, as you learn how to operate each chainsaw, you bog them less and get the most out of them. For example, if you are used to pushing a 460 through a log and then try that technique on a 361, you will bog it. However, if you know the pressure to keep the saw in the wood and the proper depth to keep the rakers, you will be able to keep a 361 eating wood very well with a 20" bar. 20" with skip chain is much more forgiving on a 361 as well.

I see a 20" bar as nearing the upper limit of my 361 and grab a larger saw if most of the cutting will require a large part of that bar. It's all a matter of how you like to cut.

20" with skip chain is much more forgiving on a 361 as well.
QUOTE]

I don't know. I run full comp on my 20" buried in hardwood all the time with no bogging. No I don't have a 460 or 660 so I guess I don't lean on it as hard.
Just kind of let it feed itself with a little light pressure.:givebeer: :givebeer: :cheers:

I think you can bog a 361 with a 20" bar. I can. With that one parameter, you will prefer a larger saw.

That being said, as you learn how to operate each chainsaw, you bog them less and get the most out of them. For example, if you are used to pushing a 460 through a log and then try that technique on a 361, you will bog it. However, if you know the pressure to keep the saw in the wood and the proper depth to keep the rakers, you will be able to keep a 361 eating wood very well with a 20" bar. 20" with skip chain is much more forgiving on a 361 as well.

I see a 20" bar as nearing the upper limit of my 361 and grab a larger saw if most of the cutting will require a large part of that bar. It's all a matter of how you like to cut.

Very good post - you sure got that right! :clap:

I use a 25" on my 361 for the reach.

I have buried it in Maple with skip and full comp - definitely pushing the limits.

Talked to the dealer and he said they would be getting a few 372xp saws in next week. $675.00, is this a good deal?

I cut roughly 3 to 5 cords of firewood every year. Mostly hardwood in the 14 to 20" dia., very few smaller and very few bigger. My only other saw is a husky 350, should I get the ms361 or 372xp? I want a good all around saw that will last, not to big and not to small. I can't afford nor do I need 4 or 5 saws only cutting firewood for my home. Thanks for your help.

Talked to the dealer and he said they would be getting a few 372xp saws in next week. $675.00, is this a good deal?

I cut roughly 3 to 5 cords of firewood every year. Mostly hardwood in the 14 to 20" dia., very few smaller and very few bigger. My only other saw is a husky 350, should I get the ms361 or 372xp? I want a good all around saw that will last, not to big and not to small. I can't afford nor do I need 4 or 5 saws only cutting firewood for my home. Thanks for your help.

If you already have a 350, I would step up to something bigger then a 361, get that 372xp, and you'll be smiling from ear to ear. Then you can also tackle the bigger stuff as well.

Get the 372xp. The 372xp and your 350 will be good combo.

Forget the 362, as said before the 361 is lighter with the same power, and the 372 has more power for the same weight.

$675 is a pretty good price for the 372, jump on it. 357's are usually over $600, and the 372 is a lot more saw for only 75 more bucks.

If you hate bogging you should opt up got the 372, it has about 12ccs more than the 361 which is a BIG difference. Plus the 372 wont be available much longer due to EPA regs, so go get yourself a legend. I plan on buying one next year, or a 2171 JohnnyRed (same saw)

Forget the 362, as said before the 361 is lighter with the same power, and the 372 has more power for the same weight.

$675 is a pretty good price for the 372, jump on it. 357's are usually over $600, and the 372 is a lot more saw for only 75 more bucks.

If you hate bogging you should opt up got the 372, it has about 12ccs more than the 361 which is a BIG difference. Plus the 372 wont be available much longer due to EPA regs, so go get yourself a legend. I plan on buying one next year, or a 2171 JohnnyRed (same saw)

Totally agree, but next year could be too late? :confused:

.....or what is the latest info?

Just wants to add that the difference in handling the 361 and the 372xp is quite a bit larger than the weight difference indicates, and the 361 probably will be gone in a couple of years, as well.

He better buy both! :rockn: :rockn:

Last edited:
Totally agree, but next year could be too late? :confused:

.....or what is the latest info?

Just wants to add that the difference in Handling the 361 and the 372xp is quite a bit larger than the weight difference indicates, and the 361 probably will be gone in a couple of years, as well.

He better buy both! :rockn: :rockn:

Does the ms361 have a lot more power than the 350? I noticed there is only 7cc difference.

Back