362xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It will not be "too much" for the saw, even 28" would be acceptable.
Make sure the oiler is on max setting (a lot of guys do this no matter what the saw/bar setup is).

If you have the bar buried in hardwood with full comp chain, you might have to take it easy to keep from bogging down(which could also be the case with a 20")

Even if you have to let up, overall cut time will be faster than having to cut from both sides in the situations 20" isn't long enough.

If I'm standing on the ground, cutting wood on the ground, I have little use for a bar shorter than 24". Some say the extra weight is hard on their backs, I say being hunched over like a troll is hard on mine.

**edit** I just looked at an 362xp operator's manual, and it recommended 13-24". I wouldn't be surprised if that changed over its two production runs, but rest assured 24" is fine.

Opening the muffler will help a lot. I tried it and it did ok running stock. Run a full skip chain and use patience. My saw is not modified at all. Would I bury it in BIG wood, no but if I had to use it it will do ok.

From the Stihl website specs for the ms362c; take it for what it's worth:
STIHL recommends #3624 (33 RS3-72) OILOMATIC® Saw Chain and 20” 3003 008 8921 Ematic™ guide bar.

If you bury a 25-28" bar w/full comp chain in eastern hardwoods, you're guaranteed to have a touchy saw.

That's nice, but Stihl didn't make the 362xp.

Their 362c-m lists less horsepower....and also recommends 16"-25" bars. But especially recommends the 20" and rapid super chain as you mention.

In addition to that recommendation, they recommend using low kickback bars and chains on all Stihl chainsaws. :eek:

**edit** I just looked at an 362xp operator's manual, and it recommended 13-24". I wouldn't be surprised if that changed over its two production runs, but rest assured 24" is fine.

Just an "academic" comment, the recommendation likely was 15-24" on the large mount ones? :lol:

I was going to paint this 24" NOS one up to go on my craftsman 3.7 60cc :envy:. Since it came stock with them for kicks and looks.
I ran a 20" on it.
But a member on another chainsaw site wanted the saw more then me. So I still have the nos bar.

windsorspeedtipK09524inch - Copy.jpg

Latest posts

Back