Echo cs-590 or Cs-620p

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandon97

Reaction score
Anyone ran both and can say if the 620 is worth the extra $200? Currently own a cs400 and have muff modded and tuned it and while its a great runner for 40cc I need another to run a 20-24" bar for 18-30" trees. Not to mention the 400 doesent exactly like hickorys

I have all three, CS-590, CS-600P, and CS-620PW.

The best thing about the CS-590 is the price. The power level isn't far enough behind the 600P or 620P's to make all that much difference if you are just out there cutting firewood.

The CS-620P doesn have some nice features not found on the CS-590. Metal handle vs plastic. The clutch has a removable drive sprocket. Larger carb and unlimited coil. A better bar not the cheaper laminated version. They claim about 15 percent more power as well but with a 20" bar and and good sharp chain my timed test cutting for all three saws showed them so close it's a toss up. I did the testing in smaller logs, but if you outfitted them with a 27" bar and got into much bigger logs I'm sure you'd see more of a difference than I did.

So if you start adding up the cost of the "upgrades" moving up to the CS-620P or even better the PW may be worth the extra cost in the big scheme of things.......

I have all three, CS-590, CS-600P, and CS-620PW.

The CS-620P or even better the PW is a nice upgrade from the CS-590. Not so much in power or performance as you'll never notice much cutting firewood with them unless you put a 24 or 27" bar on them and start bucking up some larger logs.

The 620's have some nice features that are worth the cost difference IMHO.

They use a real bar, not laminated. The clutch has a removable drive sprocket. The handle is steel, not plastic. Larger carb and unlimited coil. The full wrap handle version is another nice feature if you step on up to that version. I have the "X" version which claims 15 percent more power or something like that.

In the woods cutting tops and such with a 20" bar/sharp chain you really don't notice the power increase much. I've also beat my CS-590 to death over the years and love cross-cutting/noodling with it as it dosesn't even think about clogging up, so it's a very well made saw and you certainly wouldn't be disappointed in one........

Both great saws. Owned a 590. But there is easy 200 plus worth of upgrades on the 620 that make it well worth it.

You go to replace that 590 spur drum down the road instead of a rim sprocket set up on 620 you will find that out quickly that echo parts aint cheap.

620 better stock porting, coil, carb. Thinking mag clutch cover if recall right, handle, 2 ring piston 620 instead of 1 590.

e620p.pnge590o.jpg

Anyone ran both and can say if the 620 is worth the extra $200? Currently own a cs400 and have muff modded and tuned it and while its a great runner for 40cc I need another to run a 20-24" bar for 18-30" trees. Not to mention the 400 doesent exactly like hickorys
It really depends on you. If you are like 99% of us and love tweaking, adding on, getting 2% more power, etc. you don't want to have ended up buying a 590 and putting more $$$ into it to equate to a 620p. In other words, but the better one up front if you remotely want to tinker / improve your saws. Everything you read on comparing these models, says the cost difference is a no brainer in favor of the 620p.

I've only owned the 620p and the only time it had me wishing for more was big hardwoods 28"+. For firewood tasks if was excellent.

It really depends on you. If you are like 99% of us and love tweaking, adding on, getting 2% more power, etc. you don't want to have ended up buying a 590 and putting more $$$ into it to equate to a 620p. In other words, but the better one up front if you remotely want to tinker / improve your saws. Everything you read on comparing these models, says the cost difference is a no brainer in favor of the 620p.

I've only owned the 620p and the only time it had me wishing for more was big hardwoods 28"+. For firewood tasks if was excellent.
Good point. Like everyone else has said I do like the 620 just for the non plastic handle and the magnesium clutch cover with capture nuts. But power wise I was iffy for the extra $200. But id do exactly what you said and end up dumping the same if not more into a 590 just playing with it. Not a fan of limited coil now I know that. I'll end up getting the 620 with that said. Everything I cut is mostly hardwood around here. Oaks, hickorys and walnuts but it'll suck it up and deal with it.

Most of this has been covered but to recap the advantages of 620p vs 590:
Mag clutch cover
Captive bar nuts
Rim drive
Solid bar
Unlimited coil
2 ring piston
Metal handle
Higher flow carb
Different jug (better porting/squish?)

Pretty sure they share the same muffler and oiler, just about everything else is interchangeable. In parts alone, yes the extra $200 is justified. You can turn a 590 into a 620p but cost wise it doesn't make sense. On the other hand, it makes perfect sense to swap broken/worn 590 parts for 620p ones, which is what I did with the clutch cover, rim, handle.

For the most part, I don't think the average firewood Joe will really notice the differences, which is why the 590 is the best deal around for a 60cc firewood saw. Where I think the 620p will really assert itself is pulling a 24" or longer bar, which is when that carb/coil/top end difference will be apperant. The two ring piston should also have a longer service life.

Latest posts

Back