Echo 620P vs Stihl 400C opinions?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn’t expect a 620 to perform like a Stihl 400. It’s not meant to. But I’d bet my children it would be more durable and trouble free. The price gap isn’t representative of the performance difference. If you you want a faster, stronger saw, the 400 is the one. If you want value and a saw that mostly cuts at the same capacity, it’s the 620.
That may or may not be true in regards durability/trouble free. Most of the guys on thisnsite will never know because they will never accumulate enough hours to wear a saw out.
With Echo your buying a 30 year old saw that's 1hp down from a 400C and as such you pay less.

We’re talking Stihl, right? Seems like the 461 was still on shelves up to about 2017/18, even some stragglers in 19. What year did the 462 come out? I didn’t see them until at least 2018 or later when I wanted one.

I thought the 461 and 462 were quite different? The 461 was quite a good saw.
Oof. Sorry. Typo.
Yes, 2020

2000? I know that’s a typo but which year did you mean? I think mine is a 2020 model, maybe 21. I’ll look later but I know it’s M3.
I believe it’s late 2020 or early 2021. White sticker on the oil tank is the older model. Silver/gray is the newer model. All 462’s are/were v3.

Sorry for the typo. I’m pretty anal about proof reading and editing but I missed it.

That may or may not be true in regards durability/trouble free. Most of the guys on thisnsite will never know because they will never accumulate enough hours to wear a saw out.
With Echo your buying a 30 year old saw that's 1hp down from a 400C and as such you pay less.
It was definitely a general statement and there are many variables. I was just speaking from my own experiences and I’ve spent a lot more on Stihl than Echo. I’m definitely not wanting to step on anyone’s ego if it’s built on Stihl’s durability. Stihl is definitely cutting edge in chainsaws. Echo is not, but I feel like they hold up really well.

It was definitely a general statement and there are many variables. I was just speaking from my own experiences and I’ve spent a lot more on Stihl than Echo. I’m definitely not wanting to step on anyone’s ego if it’s built on Stihl’s durability. Stihl is definitely cutting edge in chainsaws. Echo is not, but I feel like they hold up really well.
I've said this many times, my neighbor has a 620p my 562xp out cut it and my 400 out cuts them both.

I've said this many times, my neighbor has a 620p my 562xp out cut it and my 400 out cuts them both.
I believe it. My 40cc saws out cut everyone of my neighbors 50, 60, and 70cc saws about 50 to 1. That’s just because they don’t know how to handle, care for, or sharpen one.
I would just suggest that if you want to pay top dollar for a cutting edge saw with 5 more cc and a magnesium piston, get the Stihl.
If you want to save money and have simple, dependable saw that’s been proven for over a decade, get the Echo.

I believe it. My 40cc saws out cut everyone of my neighbors 50, 60, and 70cc saws about 50 to 1. That’s just because they don’t know how to handle, care for, or sharpen one.
I would just suggest that if you want to pay top dollar for a cutting edge saw with 5 more cc and a magnesium piston, get the Stihl.
If you want to save money and have simple, dependable saw that’s been proven for over a decade, get the Echo.
The 400 is really no more complex than another chainsaw. Yea, it has a solenoid and wiring harness, but thats dead simple. Saws are all really simple. The 400 is no less dependable either. It's based on the 362 which is been around for awhile.
So you have the cost, which in Echo's case is due to the saw being based on a decades old design. I'd rather the miserly crew by a Echo than Chicom garbage.

I think I boil my affinity for Echo down to an older experience in a commercial firewood setting where a couple of Stihl 044’s(great machines) were bought along side an Echo 6700 and a 670 when they were fairly new to the market. These saws were literally put to the hours test and ran balls to wall, tank after tank, everyday until death. The 044’s were probably the fastest and lightest(maybe) but their price tag was more comparable to the Echo as well. The Echo’s lasted substantially longer than any saws we ran. Echos were even marketed as a better, longer lasting machine in that area back then. It made a lasting impression. I was shocked when I joined a forum nearly 20 years later and saw a lot of hate for them. I guess I’m just stuck in the past and left with a stigma from that time.

The 400 is really no more complex than another chainsaw. Yea, it has a solenoid and wiring harness, but thats dead simple. Saws are all really simple. The 400 is no less dependable either. It's based on the 362 which is been around for awhile.
So you have the cost, which in Echo's case is due to the saw being based on a decades old design. I'd rather the miserly crew by an Echo than Chicom garbage.
Not trying to derail this any further, sorry, but most but it’s worth noting, the engine components of Echo are Japanese. The Japanese are notorious for lagging behind the Germans in performance and tech but surpassing them in durability. I know we aren’t talking BMW and Lexus but Echo is a far cry from anything Chicom.

Also hate to argue but solenoid driven valves have never been anywhere near as dependable or simple as threaded needle valves in any scenario.

Some would just prefer a techy saw that requires no tuning. I like 2 strokes, tuning, and all that stuff. I like ordering cheap parts and making repairs that don’t involve wiring harnesses and solenoids. Different strokes.

Just re-realized… is the MS400 a 68cc saw? Not a fair comparison at all! At nearly double the price it better blow the 620 out of the water.

Is it the consensus that it’s not great at oiling a bar longer than 24”. Pretty p*** poor and typical of Stihl in that regard.

I’ve got trigger time on 620’s and 562’s, and I’d agree, the Husqy is slightly zippier, but if someone is so disappointed in the 620 that they are wanting to swap it for the 562, they need to turn the chain around or SOMETHING, because something is wrong! I’ve run all the 60cc class saws a lot and none of them are turds.

I don't understand the "620 turd comments", but can't help but to think these 620s are not properly sharpened, tuned, muffler modded, etc. I just had mine buried in green maple with a 27" bar and people were commenting about how strong it looked. 620 is unbeatable for the money, tune your saws better.

I was going to quote but there's really no need for it. The specific 620p my neighbor owns is well maintained, and up untill recently I sharpened all his chains. Really between the 3 aforementioned saws it's about as close of a comparison as you'll ever get. The 620p is a heavy turd of a saw in stock form. "Yeah, well you need to gut the muffler and Yada Yada yards blah blah blah." Right. Then we're not talking stock saw vs stock saw, and I'll be completely honest a 562xp with a muff mod will still out cut a 620p with a muff mod and a 400 stock will still out cut both of them.
Does it mean there's anything wrong with the 620p or echo in general? No, they are perfectly good saws. I like them for their simplicity and geriatric design. I don't like they are heavy and down on power in comparison to other saws. Nor do I care for the utter lack of dealer support in my area. I can pee in a circle from the top of the mountain I live on and hit about 10 stihl and or husqy dealers and maybe 2 echo dealers and only one of them stock echo saws. Heck home depot has more echo saws then the local echo dealer and neither stock jack for parts.

Back