Echo 620P vs Stihl 400C opinions?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can a 400 run a 28" bar? And I mean run it well with tons of oil. If not, the bore and stroke of a 620 would easily make the 400 look like a turd in comparison going by bar length.
Here let me reiterate what I said. The 620p is a turd compared to a stihl ms400cm. Doesn't matter what size bar is on it, or how it oils. Stock for stock it's just the more powerful saw. I'm really not seeing what's so difficult to wrap your head around here.

I wouldn't even call the CS590 a turd against the MS400, in fact I'd call the MS400 the turd being a larger saw. Steve

36” bar isn’t exactly what I’m after, if that was the case I’d get a 395. Remember whatever I get is gonna be run with a 24-28” bar most of the time.

I’m likely going to buy the saw next weekend, leaning towards the 7310 now, any opinions on it compared to the 620 and 400C?

I wouldn't even call the CS590 a turd against the MS400, in fact I'd call the MS400 the turd being a larger saw. Steve

He compares a used Echo - on which he got a good deal and invested 200 to 250 bucks plus working hours - with a not yet broken in saw. Sure, 500$ against 900$ sound bad. Make it fair. Compare new saws. Or assume a good deal on a used MS400. Now the calculation is different.

He compares a used Echo - on which he got a good deal and invested 200 to 250 bucks plus working hours - with a not yet broken in saw. Sure, 500$ against 900$ sound bad. Make it fair. Compare new saws. Or assume a good deal on a used MS400. Now the calculation is different.
What. Seeing is believing. Steve

36” bar isn’t exactly what I’m after, if that was the case I’d get a 395. Remember whatever I get is gonna be run with a 24-28” bar most of the time.

I’m likely going to buy the saw next weekend, leaning towards the 7310 now, any opinions on it compared to the 620 and 400C?
73cc vs 59cc vs 68cc. Five cc can make a huge difference in small engines. The 7310 would be my pick… best air filtration, and great build quality.

The 7310 also has the D009 Husqvarna bar mount which really opens up options with bars and drive link counts.

I would think the 400 was designed to run close to bigger saws with its engineering, but if the consensus is that it’s not great with pulling or oiling a 28 that doesn’t really make it worth the hype or price tag. I’ve never run one but something tells me it would do fine pulling a 28, but oiling is an issue I’ve had with every Stihl I’ve touched.

Echo’s are notorious for adequate oiling.

I find it interesting that there are so many accounts of people being thrilled with how well the 620 pulls a 28 but others aren’t crazy about how well the 400 pulls one ( as a much bigger saw). Maybe the standards for Echo are just low and Stihl, high.

A used Husqy 372xp at a third the price will pull a 28 with much authority.

The air filtration on the 620 is crappy compared to just about any other design, especially across the Echo line.

The twist lock filters on the Stihls aren’t that great either but still a good step up from what the 590/620 has.

If you’ve got the dough, maybe get the 400. You can be part of the MS400 experiment and come on here with good feedback.

I’ve never ran a 620 but my 590 cut well. However it was 2 pounds heavier than my 462. I promptly sold the 590 as I knew I’d never use that tank again. I’d take the 400 over a 620 any day. Echo makes solid products, old school tech and made from iron by their weight in any class. The only exception is the 501p by weight but it’s still underpowered vs the competition.

73cc vs 59cc vs 68cc. Five cc can make a huge difference in small engines. The 7310 would be my pick… best air filtration, and great build quality.

The 7310 also has the D009 Husqvarna bar mount which really opens up options with bars and drive link counts.

I would think the 400 was designed to run close to bigger saws with its engineering, but if the consensus is that it’s not great with pulling or oiling a 28 that doesn’t really make it worth the hype or price tag. I’ve never run one but something tells me it would do fine pulling a 28, but oiling is an issue I’ve had with every Stihl I’ve touched.

Echo’s are notorious for adequate oiling.

I find it interesting that there are so many accounts of people being thrilled with how well the 620 pulls a 28 but others aren’t crazy about how well the 400 pulls one ( as a much bigger saw). Maybe the standards for Echo are just low and Stihl, high.

A used Husqy 372xp at a third the price will pull a 28 with much authority.

The air filtration on the 620 is crappy compared to just about any other design, especially across the Echo line.

The twist lock filters on the Stihls aren’t that great either but still a good step up from what the 590/620 has.

If you’ve got the dough, maybe get the 400. You can be part of the MS400 experiment and come on here with good feedback.
You need to factor in what wood your cutting. Aside from a few pines all we cut around here is hard woods. 24" bar on a 60-70cc saw is asking plenty from it, most won't run longer then 20". Try that stunt video with a 32" buried in oak and neither saw will impress, actually you'll be begging for a 90+ saw in your hands. But the 400 will still be faster.
The 400 has the same oiling issues all stihl saws have. Barely adequate imo. 462r bolt amd cross pin solve that. The 400 has excellent air filtration, and av is great. Flippy caps still suck. No getting around that. Still caps just suck.

Really if your getting into 70cc territory the 372xp ms462 and the 572xp would be what I'd rather have. All would do much better then any of the other saws discussed.

Can a 400 run a 28" bar? And I mean run it well with tons of oil. If not, the bore and stroke of a 620 would easily make the 400 look like a turd in comparison going by bar length.
No 60cc class saw will run a 28" effectively in hardwood. Nor will a 70cc class saw. Do guys do it? Yes, but it's not done by loggers that I have cut with I can tell you that. Western softwood are a different story.
There is no scenario where an echo 620 out cuts a 400c or a 562xp for that matter.

The 590-620 is the exception for typical Echo bar oiling capacity. It oils near exactly like the 400, limited to about 24”. Nice thing about the 400 oil pump is the 461R hi flow pump parts fit.

In the above vid, the 400 is 10% bigger and 10% faster, but it’s going to gain another 7% when it breaks in. And the 36 is the only reason they’re that close. With a 20” bar it will run away from the 620.

But….for the same price as the 400 you can have a ported 620. And then it will run a 28 way better than a stock 400

I was a Stihl fanboi but owning two echos changed my paradigm of thought, as far as what you can get for the money. I really sit back and wonder if a $1000 saw makes any sense for us "professional homeowners". (It doesn't, IMO). I really want that 7310 but will have to sell the 620P, always regret selling a good workhorse so I can't do it.

Latest posts

Back