362XP's are back.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spike60

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Got a fax from Husky today that they again have 362XP's in stock. They changed the bar mount to the bigger one used on the 372 and added the side chain adjuster.

Retails are about $10 more than the 357XP.

Husky is doing some nice things with those credits from all of 455 rancher sales!

buck futter said:
no way jose.

Buck
Well Buck, It's true. Check with your local dealer since everyone should have gotten the fax. I'll admit that I was surprised to see it, but it's the real deal. The only thing that isn't clear is whether or not there is a limited amount being brought in, like with the 372's. Now they seem to have brought the whole 365/362XP/372XP family back from the grave. Only the 365 made it into the 2006 catelog and is listed in the dealer program however.

That one is a bit of a surprise; I thought the 262 was kind of an orphan size with kinda limited appeal, not enough different than the 257/357 in power, and carrying a weight penalty, based on the larger 261 through 372 crankcase.

I'd have thought that adding a few more 372' to the quota would have been more likely.

I was at the JD shop recently getting a tractor part; they also handle stihl and Husky. A logger was in there asking about new chainsaws, wanting two new 372's. Salesman pushed hard on the 575, but Logger must have seen some of the 372 buzz and wouldn't budge. Salesman asked for some time to get back to the logger...I'm wondering if there's an "A" list that has access to the 372 and a "B" list that doesn't? The salesman seemed genuine when he said he didn't think he could get any more of them. Or, I s'pose he could have been a dolt.

I find it hard to belive they would waste "credits" when the 372 has a much higher demand (sales quanity) at a higher profit. Business is business and profit is essential.

Bill

eyolf said:
That one is a bit of a surprise; I thought the 262 was kind of an orphan size with kinda limited appeal, not enough different than the 257/357 in power, and carrying a weight penalty, based on the larger 261 through 372 crankcase.

I'd have thought that adding a few more 372' to the quota would have been more likely. ....
I agree with your conclution, but there is some mix-up with the model numbers that you refer to initially.

I agree that the 362xp is kind of an orphan, as it is on the same case as the 371/372xp.
The 362xp has the same max power and max torque as the European MS361, and it weights over a pound more.

However, I do not agree that the 262xp is an orphan, as it is the most powerful saw on a smaller and lighter case/chassis, the same as the 154, 254, 254xp, 257 and 261. It also has a bit more power than the 362xp.
This case is also smaller and lighter that the one that the 61 trough 272xp is on.

The 362xp really should have been on the same case as the 357xp....:deadhorse: .....but then the 357xp would have been the orphan....:laugh: :hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
SawTroll said:
However, I do not agree that the 262xp is an orphan, as it is the most powerful saw on a smaller and lighter case/chassis, the same as the 154, 254, 254xp, 257 and 261. It also has a bit more power than the 362xp.

Niko, does the 242xp fit into your list, or is it still an earlier model ? I have a 97" 242 xp model in like new condition, and it's a real screamer.

belgian said:
Niko, does the 242xp fit into your list, or is it still an earlier model ? I have a 97" 242 xp model in like new condition, and it's a real screamer.
Roland, I believe the 242 (se, later xp) was made from about 1987 to 1999, when it was replaced by the 346xp.
It was on a much smaller and lighter case/chassis than those models I listed above. The "family" it belonges to started with the 133se. Those models in that family that I remember right now, is the 133se, 234se, 238se, 242se/xp and 246.
This "family" went pretty much parallell in time to the 162 and 154 families mentioned above.

Bill G said:
I find it hard to belive they would waste "credits" when the 372 has a much higher demand (sales quanity) at a higher profit. Business is business and profit is essential.

Bill

Yeah Bill, I was wondering this myself, since the 372 outsold the 362 by 50:1. I'm just guessing, but it probably has something to do with the complexities of the EPA regs. Perhaps you can only bring in a fixed amount of a non compliant saw? I know that there were 3500 372's brought in and that is supposed to be it for the year.

Buck;

The specs for the 362 are: 62.4CC, 4.6HP, 13.2lbs. "Retail" is 659.95 with a 20" bar, which is $10 more than the 357. With the retail of the 575 at $789, I suppose the 362 would sell when the supply of 372's runs out. The 362 was always a good saw, but was too close in price to the 372. Perhaps now it can fill a niche in the line up.

Sawtroll:<i>I agree with your conclution, but there is some mix-up with the model numbers that you refer to initially.
</i>

I'm gonna quit posting. You know, I can spell pretty good, but I sure can't get that top row of keys to do what I want...

Here's how I think it goes:

The 154 eventually became the 257, 261 and 262 then was updated as the 357 and 359. The 261 dissappeared about 2000 or 2001, still in the old boxy shrouds, but was still around at same time the "3" series . There apparently never was a 61cc, small crankcase saw in the "3" series here in N. America. I was once told that the 262xp was the best saw Husqvarna ever made for light and medium duty work, had as much power as the 362xp, but was a lot lighter and handier.

The original 61 design eventually was available in saws from 61cc to 75cc (in the abrasive saw power head). Some of those model numbers were 61, 162 66, 266, 272, etc. This family was remodeled around 2000 to the "3" series too, but was still very familiar to Husqvarna's customers.

Thanks again, SawTroll. Without you, I'd not only be still getting the 162 and 261 mixed up, but my 621 Jonsered might turn orange...:dizzy:

Good post Eyolf, you hit the correct number tabs this time. :D :hmm3grin2orange:

The 61.5cc 262xp actually has more power (max kW/hp and max Nm) than the over 1/2 pound (.3kg) heavier 62.4 cc 362xp.

I think you have to go to Russia to buy a new 262xp today :jester: , though - and the specs have been slightly downrated since its hayday.:censored:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back