365 full rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chev727

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I got a 365 special to repair for my grandpa, he works his saws pretty hard and he bought the saw new a few years ago and it didn't last long before the engine went, been sitting in the shed ever since and he went back to using his 266, the saw needs a top end, bearings, oil seals, intake boot, etc..

I want to build it to last since it'll see 5 days a week of cutting and was wondering what everyone thought on a hyway kit for a work saw? I was thinking either the 50mm or 52mm. Will the stock carb be enough for the 52mm?

Stock carb is a walbro, he also gave me a parts saw thats from 1998 and has a zama Carb.

Good luck, with the build and good on you for helping out your grandad. Post plenty of pics so we can follow the build.

I for one have little faith in aftermarket kits for full out work saws, best option is stay with OEM parts for a real work saw. A 365 should have lasted at least 2-3 years working 5 days a week, 8 tanks of fuel a day. Firewood buckers get that long out of them in the hardwood firewood business here.

I am going to second using an OEM jug if you can find one. And you should be able to find a good used factory jug for the same price as a better aftermarket. If not then I would go with a Meteor kit, next best thing to OE. Either way a Meteor piston would be the way to go.

Joe

Have you removed the top end to check out the damage yet? Bearings may be fine with not much runtime, unless something let go. The cylinder may be salvageable as well, and that would save you some money and IMO be a better quality option than an AM cylinder.
Post up some piston/cylinder pics!

I'll take pics of the cylinders I have, I believe they are both still OK.

I had just wanted to do a big bore on it, but if they won't hold up that's fine, the 372 meteor kit would be nice but would bring the build cost up a bit

I'll probably do a meteor piston which I
thought about doing as well and from the recommendations seems like the best idea for this build

The bearings I believe are done because I can move the crank by lifting up and down on the clutch, parts saw is the same

Piston on the parts saw has damage on intake side of the skirt, the good saw has some deeper scoring and needs to be replaced too

Husky bearings you don't need to buy OEM actually. Jut paying for the name on the bag. It's a standard size bearing, you can get quality bearings pretty cheap. SKF, FAG, etc. Some OEM bearings I've taken out of huskys have been SKF anyways.

I wouldn't have an issue using aftermarket gasket sets, as long as they fit properly.

If you want a bigger jug, try and hunt down an OEM 372 cylinder. But if the 365 special jug can be saved, I'd use that.
The walbro carb on the 365 is likely the same as on the 372 so no worries there.

Husky bearings you don't need to buy OEM actually. Jut paying for the name on the bag. It's a standard size bearing, you can get quality bearings pretty cheap. SKF, FAG, etc. Some OEM bearings I've taken out of huskys have been SKF anyways.

I wouldn't have an issue using aftermarket gasket sets, as long as they fit properly.

If you want a bigger jug, try and hunt down an OEM 372 cylinder. But if the 365 special jug can be saved, I'd use that.
The walbro carb on the 365 is likely the same as on the 372 so no worries there.

Would that include the aftermarket bearings on hlsupplys site?

Here's the parts saws cylinder, it's a standard 365 not a special

Attachments

• 20150309_091836.jpg
    20150309_091836.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 55
  • 20150309_091826.jpg
    20150309_091826.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 52
365 special cylinder

Attachments

• 20150309_092621.jpg
    20150309_092621.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 49
  • 20150309_092603.jpg
    20150309_092603.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 45
I don't know what brand those bearings are. Check ebay.

Both those jugs look like they will clean up. Unless there is a big score I can't see in the special jug.

The special does feel like it has a score running most of the cylinder length on the exhaust side, felt along the dark line in the picture

use the special jug. trust me on that one. the original 365 still runs well but it ain't worth down grading if you have the parts to keep it a special. special seems to hold better RPM's in the cut to me. both jugs use the same piston though. also for firewood it is impractical to upgrade to a 372 unless you already have to parts to do it. no sense in spending money you don't need to. That special of your grandpa's is a newer one so will have an HD12b on it. plenty of fueling capabilities for any cylinder available for that case. where abouts in Canada are you? if your close by i could show you how to properly prep a cylinder for reuse.

Bearings from hlsupply are farmertec,
use the special jug. trust me on that one. the original 365 still runs well but it ain't worth down grading if you have the parts to keep it a special. special seems to hold better RPM's in the cut to me. both jugs use the same piston though. also for firewood it is impractical to upgrade to a 372 unless you already have to parts to do it. no sense in spending money you don't need to. That special of your grandpa's is a newer one so will have an HD12b on it. plenty of fueling capabilities for any cylinder available for that case. where abouts in Canada are you? if your close by i could show you how to properly prep a cylinder for reuse.

I'm in northwestern ontario, the saw is used for logging out here, I looked into the play in the crank some more and noticed the whole bearing on the clutch side moves in the pocket it sits in, that mean the case is wore?

Attachments

• 20150309_125124.jpg
    20150309_125124.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 27
Might swap all the parts from the special over to the standard bottom end since it feels like the bearings are still okay in it and just replace the oil seals on it, if that sounds okay to do? I don't have a splitter so I'm seeing how much for the dealer to do it for me if needed, only problem is that the standard has sat in the shed with no cylinder on it so I have no idea what's down in the case for dirt etc. Just clean it out with gas?

Funds are allowing a meteor 372 p/c kit, rather do the whole top end new since I don't have experience fixing cylinders and don't want to mess it up and have the saw blow again after all the work

I have farmtec bearings in a few saws, but only when there are no other options for aftermarket. You can run c3 6202 bearings. You don't need to find "chainsaw" bearings on a site. Last I bought them I found a sleeve of ten FAG brand for 20 bucks shipped. I know you're after the 372 kit, but it's easy and fun to learn cleaning up an old jug. Jmo.

I hate doing a saw over with unknown variables like old bearings....

I have farmtec bearings in a few saws, but only when there are no other options for aftermarket. You can run c3 6202 bearings. You don't need to find "chainsaw" bearings on a site. Last I bought them I found a sleeve of ten FAG brand for 20 bucks shipped. I know you're after the 372 kit, but it's easy and fun to learn cleaning up an old jug. Jmo.

I hate doing a saw over with unknown variables like old bearings....

Thanks for the size on the bearings, will try a website called bearing king I believe, 2 skf bearings for $15 with shipping which isn't bad

Latest posts

Back