371XP Oiler leaking

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeorgeWLogger

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I pick up a 1998 Husky 371XP that looks like it just came out of the box at a local pawn shop for $140. The only thing I have a question about is the oiler. The adjusting screw on the oiler is not like all my Stihl's that only rotate at most 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn. It will turn 360 degrees and keep turning. Is this normal? Also the oiler is leaking oil while sitting and not running, with a visual inspection there apears to be no cracks and the tube leading to the bar is connected. Any help with this would be great.

On another note, how does the 371XP differ from the 372XP?

Thanks for your help.

GeorgeW

on a 372 one should turn it out 3 turns from closed for a 20" bar and 4 turns for a 24" or longer if memory serves correct. It should not leak oil at all. It should only pump oil when above idle. You guys need to have another look at your oilers - because if its leaking - it is not operating correctly. The 371 had oiler trouble, which were fixed in the 372.

first I'd heard of it, like said I dont get a drop when not running. When running the oiler is fantastic. I think Dennis might be able to tell you with some experience since he has obviously run hundreds of them whether its normal.

Now my 136 drools after its shut off a fair bit. The 051, I probably should empty the oil tank to stop it from drooling - I need to have a look at that...

Originally posted by GeorgeWLogger
[BOn another note, how does the 371XP differ from the 372XP?
[/B]

new oiler - side chain tensioner. I think its the same saw otherwise.

LOL, Ben I need paper towels for the 051, lots of them, maybe a super shammy [sic]...like said I have to look at it - you need to look at yours too by the sound of it..

I personally havent noticed an oil leak on the 371/372/2171 myself....not your typical siphon anyway...just the excess oil after running it.(without bar and chain)..once in awhile will leave a spot...or if the oil cap leaks ever so slightly from being overtightened...(lol...here it is again)

My Husky 55 leaks all over when it is hot out, not so bad when cold. This is with bar oil not motor oil. It likes to mark its territory:D

Most of all my Husqvarnas leak. My 357XP, 372XP, and a 395XPG, all leak out bar oil when not running. The 395 and 357 are the worst leakers. I just dismiss the problem. I love it when my truck bed is covered in oil, it pervents rust and eliminates traction. Just my two Cents, Jonathan

Hi Huskyman! I have been busy lately. The Super Cheesy, as we call them, is doing just fine. Nothing like having a 2.5 cube hotsaw, I believe it weighs in a little under 9 lbs, less bar and chain. Stock I think they were rated a 3.1 hp, mine may have close to 4 hp. It runs around 11,000 rpms and still loves 3/8" square ground chain, with rakers set at .030", on a 16" roller nose rail. Gotta love the EZs, later, Jonathan

Latest posts

Back