371XP Project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gonna get the case blasted, I hope. And talk to the welder and see what he recommends, on the hole. He owns the blaster too, so coincidentally Ill be there anyways.
Heres a few of the plastic. Rounded up a oiler, so now need to get the case done, blasted, painted. And get my gaskets to put it back together. Then start the reassembly till I realize what else I need.
attachment.php

My handy work, a little better than the moss.
attachment.php

Forgot the black on the lines. Oh well, too late now
attachment.php

Muffler mod in progress tommorow, most likely

That saw is a major restoration project. Is there any play in the crank shaft/connecting rod/ bearing? That is some corrosion showing in your pic, how are the mating surfaces of your case halves? Any chance removing the bearings for replacement will damage the case further since the case is weakened from corrosion? Finally, that hole is in a bad spot being so close to the mating of the two case halves. Big ? mark at this point. Looking forward to your updates. That is all the bad. Now the good, that will be one hungry saw if she comes together.

Thanks almondgt, the mating surface around the halves dont look too bad too me. Gonna pull the crank bearings tommorow, and might try to get it blasted. To get a little more in depth look at the damage. All bearings are gonna be checked over, or replaced. Not to $, not as bad as I thought

Will get some pictures up after its cleaned up and see what ya'll think.

Thanks almondgt, the mating surface around the halves dont look too bad too me. Gonna pull the crank bearings tommorow, and might try to get it blasted. To get a little more in depth look at the damage. All bearings are gonna be checked over, or replaced. Not to $, not as bad as I thought

Will get some pictures up after its cleaned up and see what ya'll think.

LP,

Good show!

joat

Can you describe how you took the cases apart other than removing all the case screws? As long as you didn't destroy the case in disassembly.

Almondgt, we just used a putty knife and drove it into the gasket. Then stuck small screwdrivers in to keep it from popping back, and move down a little bit, and repeat. Not really the right way to separate the case, but it got the job done. Didnt destroy anything.

Well first the good news. Got another case today! Case, crank, crank bearins, clutch cover, clutch, oiler, air induction jet, cylinder and carb. Had 20 in the case, 10 for the clutch and oiler, 10 for the cylinder and carb(cylinder looks real good) Also picked up a set of rings, the wrist pin, bearing, clips. Forgetting somethan, I think I have another 15 in somethan, but im not real sure. I was trying to trade clyinders with him, but he said how bout you keep yours and give me 10 for that one. So I flipped out the money. Also 2 case gaskets.

But back again this weeknd to try to get a piston, the rings were froze on mine. Had it soakin in gas, so hadnt checked them.

Now I have a hybrid, I guess. So I am goin to call it a 373

Last edited:
Guess I made away like a bandit. Gonna have under 100 on this saw
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Bout time, I catch a break.:D Now I have parts, so I need a parts saw, to get parts, to make a runner, then so on, and so forth

Last edited:
Looking to hear about the outcome of the saws case repair........the suspense is, well, suspenseful. I wonder if there is a correct method of splitting cases on this or any model of Husqvarna saw? Special tools, pullers, spreaders or ...so easy to damage the mating surfaces with crude tools, but I suppose crude is better than not getting the job done at all!

Well Dad finally got this thing back together. Since I didnt watch him take it apart, I didnt know where all the bolts went. It runs good, just gotta work on the throttle/handle a little bit, because its stickin, and runnin wide open. Was gonna stick a 20" from the 359 on it but didnt know it was the larger mount. So stuck the 24 off the 394 on it. Pulled it alright, havent decided on what I want to leave on it. Might put a bar adapter, and 404 sprocket on the 394 and use SP's Stihl bars.:)
Well heres the finished project.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Looks nice! I may have missed this- Where did you end up picking up the bearings and seals? Did you go to a bearing house or just get them at a dealer?

Good job LP I think people were wondering if you were able to salvage the original case from the 371 or did you get another case?

Thanks guys.

That is not the original case. I picked that case up for 20 dollars, and it had the crank and bearins already in it. And they had no rust, or play in them. So for now the old case is sittin in the parts pile.
And for right around 130$, I dont think I did bad for a 700$+ saw. Just need to pick up some bars. I do have a 25 inch Stihl bar laying around. :D

remove the base gasket most likely, cause it ripped while in the clean up process. :buttkick:

you gonna use a gasket, make one out of beer can, or just use gasket sealer? gonna check the squish i'm sure.

sorry, just noticed the post date but still curious bout the gasket and how's the saw running?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back