372 suddenly leaking bar oil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EngineNoO9

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
My 372 which had never leaked a drop of oil has been in the back of my truck (under a tonneau cover) ever since we moved in January. It’s ridden along a little but I rarely drive my truck these days thanks to COVID. Anyways... I removed it the other day finally to take trash to the dump and noticed a little bar oil under it. There wasn’t a ton but normally I could set it on the kitchen counter and it wouldn’t leave a mark. My thought is maybe that the large swings in temperatures has caused it to leak. Since it’s been sitting there we’ve been in the high teens to 70’s with temperatures. It does start no problem (I need to adjust the tune a little). Just curious to everyone’s thoughts.

And yes I can probably search but that wouldn’t allow me to post a pic of my non-chainsaw related new toy and property. There aren’t as many trees as my last house but there’s still plenty of stuff to cut up!

Attachments

• B269B495-483E-4AEF-9D8A-DC06BED9B85C.jpeg
    B269B495-483E-4AEF-9D8A-DC06BED9B85C.jpeg
    6.3 MB · Views: 27
  • 79956FDF-C2CC-4A6D-AC7F-F910D5838D72.jpeg
    79956FDF-C2CC-4A6D-AC7F-F910D5838D72.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 25
I opened it up and checked. It was tight! I need to fill and check everything over now that ours not miserable out.

It could be the cap's washer has dried out or cracked. Is that an O-Ring? Those give up also. I've replaced several. Rest the saw for a day or so on a couple of short 2 x 2's with a clean paper towel underneath and try to trace the leak location.

most of mine over 45 years have not leaked or leaked a bit but i had a husqvarna that leaked all over all the time. what a mess. Never could figure out why!

No brand Bashing intended alot of The Huskys i have owned leaked a bit of chain oil cracking the cap helps but I dont always remember and they mark their territory out.I learned to live with it.
Kash

I’m betting it’s just the pressure. I relieved the pressure and I’ll check. I don’t care that it leaks a little. Just it never had leaked a drop before and suddenly started. That was the “alarming” thing. My Poulan and stihl leak all the time but I expect it.

A few days ago I was cutting off a large tree stump when my 371XP started smoking like mad. I could see wetness on the muffler.
Long story short, I pulled the muffler back home in my shop. The gasket that seals the two halves of the oil tank had failed. There was a bit of a puddle of bar oil there on the top of the tank.
Ironically, I'd been given this saw many years ago by the person who bought it new. He could never get it to run well since he bought it. When I pulled the jug, I found the cylinder gasket had been folded over when the saw was assembled at the factory, leading to an air leak from day one! The p/c remarkably were still fine. I replaced the gasket and have used the saw heavily ever since. The rings are loose in their grooves now, so it's time for a rebuild. It amazes me that two different gaskets failed to do their jobs, many many years apart.

If it continues to leak and you have tried all the tricks given then pull the oil pump and replace the oil pick up tube. It's rubber and it's going to get old and fail at some point. I have a new 372XT that leaked like crazy, I replaced the tube and it doesn't leak a drop now.

Latest posts

Back