372xp cylinder choices

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Meteor and Highway are fair options. Both seem to have improved in the last few years. Meteor especially has done a lot to insure better quality control.

But personally my experience hasn't been amazing. I have two Meteor jugs. The transfers have very large chamfer and the gaskets that came with the kits are thicker than OEM. Both have casting flaws in the compression chamber. One so bad I abandoned it during a porting project because I couldn't get accurate measurements.
Ironically, that jug is the strongest stock configuration I have seen on that saw (still not sure why). The plating on my other Meteor has survived a cleanup job, so I guess the plating is pretty good. The low budget chinese cylinders won't tolerate sanding and cleanup like that.
Meteor Pistons and Caber Rings are my go-to replacements. I've never been anything but impressed with the piston quality. Often better than OEM.

I don't have any Hyway jugs. All the ones I've pulled were ruined and unsaveable. I see them as a lot closer to the cheap chinese stuff. More flaws, weaker plating. But several people have told me they like the way the Big Bores run and that the quality has improved dramatically.

Well that puts it in the OEM cylinders court, there's a few on flea bay. For right around $150. From a place in Pa.

Well spent some $ on the saw today, oem cylinder kit hlsupply $141.00, new oem fuel tank $99.00 ,oem chain brake handle $24.00,oem half wrap handle $39.00. Ok that's enough for now!

I work on power equipment in our business, full time now since 2003. It's not a main deal, but we have a reputation in our area for doing good work and folks are constantly showing up with saws, generator sets, and other equipment that's giving them troubles.

To date I've never even looked at aftermarket P/C kits for any of these saws, OEM all the way and have had ZERO issues to date with any of it. It hurts a little more going in but from a business standpoint you are insuring that you will NOT see the saw again for the same issue and your customer will be able to continue to use their saw for many years.

With that said anytime we see a "smoked" P/C we check for air leaks and almost always rebuild the carb (and often end up replacing the fuel line/filter in the tank as well) and fine tune the saw and fatten it up if/as needed before we give it back to the customer.

The trend in recent years is for the manufacturer's to delivery their equipment pretty lean right out of the box to make the EPA happy. Of course they don't know exactly where the equipment is going to end up or the quality of fuel that's going to be put thru it. Some folks will step up with higher octane and/or non ethanol, others will cheap out and use the least expensive fuel, and may also use lower quality 2 cycle mix.

For these reasons we tend to er on the rich side vs lean in the cut. Not enough so it "blubbering" and way down on power, but we make absolutely sure it "four strokes" when the load is removed during a heavy cut.

Even with all that said I've always been curious about some of the higher end aftermarket kits and how well they hold up in long term service, but to date I've always went OEM instead as the jump typically isn't that much higher and I know we're doing the very best for the saw and our customers.......Cliff

I work on power equipment in our business, full time now since 2003. It's not a main deal, but we have a reputation in our area for doing good work and folks are constantly showing up with saws, generator sets, and other equipment that's giving them troubles.

To date I've never even looked at aftermarket P/C kits for any of these saws, OEM all the way and have had ZERO issues to date with any of it. It hurts a little more going in but from a business standpoint you are insuring that you will NOT see the saw again for the same issue and your customer will be able to continue to use their saw for many years.

With that said anytime we see a "smoked" P/C we check for air leaks and almost always rebuild the carb (and often end up replacing the fuel line/filter in the tank as well) and fine tune the saw and fatten it up if/as needed before we give it back to the customer.

The trend in recent years is for the manufacturer's to delivery their equipment pretty lean right out of the box to make the EPA happy. Of course they don't know exactly where the equipment is going to end up or the quality of fuel that's going to be put thru it. Some folks will step up with higher octane and/or non ethanol, others will cheap out and use the least expensive fuel, and may also use lower quality 2 cycle mix.

For these reasons we tend to er on the rich side vs lean in the cut. Not enough so it "blubbering" and way down on power, but we make absolutely sure it "four strokes" when the load is removed during a heavy cut.

Even with all that said I've always been curious about some of the higher end aftermarket kits and how well they hold up in long term service, but to date I've always went OEM instead as the jump typically isn't that much higher and I know we're doing the very best for the saw and our customers.......Cliff
I've used dozens of am kits
Meteor and tecomec have been good to go from the box
Huztl ft and white box ebay
Need occasional port cleaning/relieving
The hyway kit i just used is very nicely finished i just trimmed the circlips and bolted it on no base gasket.
Strong running saw
Didn't port it or anything.

I bought OEM parts because I don't want trouble with the saw, I went cheap when I rebuilt it last time and now I'm doing it again, I could be that I messed up the seals, they were not oem seals, so that could be a factor. I bought a new oem fuel tank/handle because the knock off gave me fitting issues when I first assembled the saw. The half wrap handle was beat when I put it together, a new one will be much nicer. If I could powder coat the cases I would since I have all winter to do this saw over.

I bought OEM parts because I don't want trouble with the saw, I went cheap when I rebuilt it last time and now I'm doing it again, I could be that I messed up the seals, they were not oem seals, so that could be a factor. I bought a new oem fuel tank/handle because the knock off gave me fitting issues when I first assembled the saw. The half wrap handle was beat when I put it together, a new one will be much nicer. If I could powder coat the cases I would since I have all winter to do this saw over.
Best way I have found to seat those seals is: find a washer that will slip on crankshaft, but larger than bearing pocket, coat outer rim of seal with light coat of sealant (I use motoseal) and seat seal with deep socket or small piece of pipe. This prevents seating too deep or not square in pocket. If someone has a better way, please let me know.

I used a socket with well placed taps, but it may or may not been a good idea to do it that way. While my wife was out tonight i was able to scrub my cases spanky clean without any words from her. They frown on using the kitchen sink for cleaning our toys.

Well I was looking for a new top cover and ran across a new oem crank in the box. $65.00 , I bought the oem top cylinder cover also. I'll almost have a new looking saw!
I better stop now, lol!

This morning I opened up some parts boxes I ordered, I opened the box from HL supplywhere I bought the cylinder assy . Well I was disappointed that it only came with the cylinder and not the piston parts. I rechecked the website and the part# 503-62-64-73 showed the piston parts come with it. I shot a email off to HL hope they get back to me.

I received a email this morning from hlsupply, they are contacting Husqvarna about the missing parts.

I used a socket with well placed taps, but it may or may not been a good idea to do it that way. While my wife was out tonight i was able to scrub my cases spanky clean without any words from her. They frown on using the kitchen sink for cleaning our toys.
I tried that once .the wife handed me a new *******.lol.:dumb2::cold::lol:

H L supply sent a new husqvarna piston ring, bearing and clips. So now I have everything to build the saw. But I think I'm going to send the case to get powdercoated first.

Back