372xp leaking oil at WOT

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My plastic Poulan sometimes puts a lot of oil up through that seam between the clutch cover and the case. Near as I can tell it is just bar oil being slung off the sprocket, especially since it does not do it much when actually cutting decent sized wood (big wood wipes off more of the chain oil than limbing does).

Same pitch no problem, will just need a 50 gauge chain to match your new bar. Would not worry about that oil on saw.
The .50 are just a lot more easy to find around here. Any advantages/disadvantages to those different gauges. I read a couple posts but sounds like it comes down to availability.

Al
The .50 are just a lot more easy to find around here. Any advantages/disadvantages to those different gauges. I read a couple posts but sounds like it comes down to availability.
so how many clicks on Oiler. I think it’s 4 and 1/4 quarter turns fully open/closed. have been keeping it in about the middle. To reduce mentioned leaking.

Either 50 or 58 will work just fine, whatever is available in your area at best price. Number of oil turns is all up to you and oil you are using. Mine, turn oil up so chain, is wet and bar tip is well oiled ( I do not grease them). Winter, I use winter grade bar oil or thin summer grade, never have used used motor oil and will not. Would rather see my saws use more oil, than trying to save a few cents and run them on dry side. But, to each his own.

I
Either 50 or 58 will work just fine, whatever is available in your area at best price. Number of oil turns is all up to you and oil you are using. Mine, turn oil up so chain, is wet and bar tip is well oiled ( I do not grease them). Winter, I use winter grade bar oil or thin summer grade, never have used used motor oil and will not. Would rather see my saws use more oil, than trying to save a few cents and run them on dry side. But, to each his own.
m using stihl bar oil orange not grey b
im using stihl orange jug bar oil. It is cold here in Colorado what’s the deal with winter oil haven’t heard of this.

It is cold here in Colorado what’s the deal with winter oil haven’t heard of this.
It is just thinner oil - referred to in many owner's manuals. My Echo manual says to use SAE 30 in summer, and SAE 10 in winter or when cutting resinous trees. My Poulan manual says to use SAE 30, but notes to dilute it with diesel or kerosene when temps are below 30.

Easy to find at Tractor Supply and many other outlets.

I

m using stihl bar oil orange not grey b

im using stihl orange jug bar oil. It is cold here in Colorado what’s the deal with winter oil haven’t heard of this.
Ask your supplier if he has winter bar oil, it's just thinner and flows at colder temps.

I though we were tryin.g to stop the oil...
I'm confused now?
I think it’s just normal that these saws leak a little thru the seal from bar oil coming off the sprocket. Guy at shop said stihls do it. Said when they gunk up with oil wood dust on inside you won’t notice it as much, but when clean seeps out quicker.

I think it’s just normal that these saws leak a little thru the seal from bar oil coming off the sprocket. Guy at shop said stihls do it. Said when they gunk up with oil wood dust on inside you won’t notice it as much, but when clean seeps out quicker.
Well if the guy at the saw shop said its cool then who am I to argue? Especially if he is quoting Stihl....I would have asked him for an ID. He knows as much as you don't ..lol.I am just having a joke with myself.
I was joking above also

It's not a seal per say. Its just where the 90° lip of the clutch cover meets I believe. Sometimes you are 25 t0 60° tilted down with white goo cummin out. 50 gallons of water coming out of the tree in a few minutes..generally on the flat cut. With the ported 372oe, it dose not like all the water...it can't keep up, it starts to drownd so I have to wait for it. Seen a Simonized 372 xtorq die and fill up through the muffler. Ended up getting a new top end
Fav part about the 390 is you can just keep cutting through the storm and it will mix the water oil and chip into a delicious thick white steady oozing Çum
i actually would get sexually aroused ever time. I never did it for the money or the prestige. Ok maybe that was too much info. haha. true goods

Yeah I think you saw is going to be ok.
I have a warm feeling about it.

happy cutting brother...well not too happy.

be safe

Latest posts

Back