372xp questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snatchy

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello! First post lurker.
I picked up a 2003 372xp for $250, been looking for years, gave up & this one fell in my lap they're extremely hard to find in my area, guys don't sell them. Seemed to be fair deal.
Bar was junk, chain beat but newish. Piston looks excellent, cylander is great, clutch has a broken lobe. Seems like it was ran on good gas/oil had minimal carbon build up.
Will have 20" GB bar & new chain on the way, looking for a clutch & figuring out odds/ends parts I need.

The brake handle seems to rub on the case (see pic) I can't figure out if the brake lever is bent or if it's normal wear on older models. There isn't alot of play in the lever bushing & I don't have another lever to compare to see if it's bent, it would seem the handle would break before lever bent.
Also, would anyone trust an AM or farmertec clutch as a replacement?
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 20230703_122752.jpg
    20230703_122752.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
Well that answers my question, figured I'd ask if ya can trust the qaulity. seems some people say yes for some consumable parts
Thanks!
An aftermarket clutch with oem springs has some potential to be decent. But aftermarket clutch springs don’t have a good track record. If you tried using the whole AM clutch, you’d be out that $20 after 20-100 hours of use when you had to buy the oem to replace it

An aftermarket clutch with oem springs has some potential to be decent. But aftermarket clutch springs don’t have a good track record. If you tried using the whole AM clutch, you’d be out that $20 after 20-100 hours of use when you had to buy the oem to replace it
Never thought of swapping springs. I just ordered OEM, figure seems like a gamble on the AM ones. Now just gotta figure out brake lever/handle deal. Much appreciated!

Brake handle - if you put your plastic cover back on the spring etc side and put your handle in place if the bushing side on pull start cover doesnt slide in at the same time- it is bent- just a note that xp and xtorq 372's are not interchangangable, differnt handle, different leaver because the xtorq has a higher top plastic.

Hello! First post lurker.
I picked up a 2003 372xp for $250, been looking for years, gave up & this one fell in my lap they're extremely hard to find in my area, guys don't sell them. Seemed to be fair deal.
Bar was junk, chain beat but newish. Piston looks excellent, cylander is great, clutch has a broken lobe. Seems like it was ran on good gas/oil had minimal carbon build up.
Will have 20" GB bar & new chain on the way, looking for a clutch & figuring out odds/ends parts I need.

The brake handle seems to rub on the case (see pic) I can't figure out if the brake lever is bent or if it's normal wear on older models. There isn't alot of play in the lever bushing & I don't have another lever to compare to see if it's bent, it would seem the handle would break before lever bent.
Also, would anyone trust an AM or farmertec clutch as a replacement?
Thanks in advance!
A 2003? Either you got a VERY LOW hour 372xp dirt cheap ? Or the piston and cylinder have been replaced. Have you found any casting marks on the cylinder?

Brake handle - if you put your plastic cover back on the spring etc side and put your handle in place if the bushing side on pull start cover doesnt slide in at the same time- it is bent- just a note that xp and xtorq 372's are not interchangangable, differnt handle, different leaver because the xtorq has a higher top plastic.
Seems there was a slit twist, it fit as you explained but a bit snug side to side & there is slight play in the lever bushing not too bad. Thanks for the time

A 2003? Either you got a VERY LOW hour 372xp dirt cheap ? Or the piston and cylinder have been replaced. Have you found any casting marks on the cylinder?
Mahle 50ZK6
My thought was the saw was very well taken care of, then inherited by someone less experienced it was dirty from cutting with dull/loose chain, must've lost the chain trashed bar, gouged bar plate, broke rim sprocket & clutch at same time scared the **** out of them & that was it.
You could kinda tell it happened at the same time it was fresh damage. Looks like it was a firewood saw. I'm leaning average outer saw wear no cracks at least.

I only looked inside best I can without pulling cylinder but nothing scary that I'm regretting.. yet anyway. can still see hone marks with one wear streak, very thin layer of carbon TOP, exhaust, was tuned well, plug was slight rich but old, muffler dented

I took a gamble figure it was a 50/50 shot. My bud was a teacher at MMI he's the engine genius I'm going to have him peak at it, port it etc. I hope you're right! Thanks

Latest posts

Back