372xp xtorque handle on an older 372xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baconaman

Saw Guru In Training
Reaction score
This is my first post and I'ms doing it on a phone so cut me some slack. I tried to search old posts for this but it was too clunky on the phone. I'm wondering if anyone has successfully used the full rap OEM handle for the 372xp x-torq on the pre x-torq 372xp successfully? Online some say it works and some say it doesn't. For those or anyone who has had it work, is there a downside? Thanks so much.

OK you said go easy..lol
Apart from what has already been mentioned is the brake handle will be different heights as well.
I prefer to use the older thinner wrap handles and match up the brakes. I only ever use my left hand to operate the brake on & off unless I'm using my right so It took some getting used to a taller brake with a short handle. (More of a gap from my wrist) your situation the handle will be lower and close. I think it was OK for me but may have knocked the brake on more and I believe it was tight with heavy winter gloves. It's been a while though, I think a was good with it.

Westboastfaller,

What are you using your brake for the majority of the time? Having used more saws without brakes than with them I haven't developed the habit. I assume it's when you want to set it down and idle.

the big handle is a direct fit so if that's what you mean by successful then your good to go. the original OE brake handle is plenty tall enough to be used with the thicker handle and doesn't open up a big gap between the top cover and brake handle like the XT brake flag does on an OE. i would never consider running the bigger brake handle on an OE even with the fat handle. the older thin handle feels handier with shorter bars but i like the new XT handle for longer bars.
want a mix of both? a 576 full wrap will fit an OE 372 nice and tight like the old skinny 372 handle does but be a fat bar. just gotta remove the AV limiter and redrill new hole for cylinder AV spring. i believe there is a little notching on bottom of tank with dremel as the 576 handle is a **** hair wider where it fits the tank but everything even someone with low skills can do.
i got the 576 handle on my firewood 372 and it's awesome. i never run more then a 24" on that saw so with that tight fitting fat handle bar it handles very nice, the right handle is also out forward more like the 390's.

These are all OE saws with OE brake flags. Left to right is 576 handle, OE 372 skinny handle, and new XT handle. Second pic is the 576 in front and XT handle in back.

90410e612e7527fb95d47ab75a983cd3.jpg

7d8feeb5605c4ac9092354cb369862d7.jpg

I bought 5 of those with a free ship special.
29.99 smoking deal I've paid close to a 100.00 with the spike kit before.
I'm a lefty very handy.View attachment 613052

yer addicted to the 268 piston aren't you? lol make a stock 372 seem anemic. only thing i don't like about those farmertec pistons is they allow some pretty hardcore rod movement from side to side. the one with the 576 handle above has a 372 big bore kit from hutzl with a 272 piston. chamber cut and landed at 190 psi after 2-3 tanks with the hutzl ring. are the 2 on the left 272 pistons? where are you ended up on the intake? my 272 piston build ended up at 84 with no grinding.

yer addicted to the 268 piston aren't you? lol make a stock 372 seem anemic. only thing i don't like about those farmertec pistons is they allow some pretty hardcore rod movement from side to side. the one with the 576 handle above has a 372 big bore kit from hutzl with a 272 piston. chamber cut and landed at 190 psi after 2-3 tanks. are the 2 on the left 272 pistons? where are you ended up on the intake? my 272 piston build ended up at 84 with no grinding.
My friend cut 3 268 and 3 272 pistons down for me.
I'm getting around 170 on my old gauge.
Run damn good for 3.00 pistons lol
A guy i know still runs a 268 flat top in a 371 he built that year's ago using a husky piston.
If it takes out a rod it's 15.00 for a china crank lol

My friend cut 3 268 and 3 272 pistons down for me.
I'm getting around 170 on my old gauge.
Run damn good for 3.00 pistons lol
A guy i know still runs a 268 flat top in a 371 he built that year's ago using a husky piston.
If it takes out a rod it's 15.00 for a china crank lol

that's sweet man, are you doing any porting on them? let me know how they run. the first one i ever built was supposed to be just something to do turning a junk pile into something. had a used walkers jug that had been ported already with the 372 piston so had a bunch of intake. then had a used non windowed OEM 268 piston so cut cylinder and ported it to work. ended up with 88 on the intake which is silly but it without a doubt is the strongest 372 i ever run and not for sale lol.
my problem is because this one was a build junk project the saw is high hour and i wish one of my newer low hour ones ran that way. just insane how it turned out and i haven't been able to replicate it with the same numbers and porting. it'll kill the big bore 272 piston build. all it got new was a caber and i haven't done a compression test on it but i imagine it is right up around 190-200 sea level.

Dang! Thanks for all the info. The pictures really helped it click in the brain. I think for my purposes I am going to do the minor mod and use the 576 handle unless it cost way more than the XT version which would still work fine.

Sparkysparks9, you need to send me the paperwork to make sure I inherit your saws in case you get hit by a truck or something so the government doesn't liquidate them in the probate process - what an amazing collection. By the way, I drove several hours to to Coos Bay to pick up this saw so it's an Oregon Coaster as well.

Westcoaster90, what is that icom handheld for that I spy in the background. If you're licensed and have HF privileges and gear, we should schedule a QSO sometime. (ham radio speak)

that's sweet man, are you doing any porting on them? let me know how they run. the first one i ever built was supposed to be just something to do turning a junk pile into something. had a used walkers jug that had been ported already with the 372 piston so had a bunch of intake. then had a used non windowed OEM 268 piston so cut cylinder and ported it to work. ended up with 88 on the intake which is silly but it without a doubt is the strongest 372 i ever run and not for sale lol.
my problem is because this one was a build junk project the saw is high hour and i wish one of my newer low hour ones ran that way. just insane how it turned out and i haven't been able to replicate it with the same numbers and porting. it'll kill the big bore 272 piston build. all it got new was a caber and i haven't done a compression test on it but i imagine it is right up around 190-200 sea level.
On the 15.00 huztl cylinders i rampage port them.
Wide as possible and open the transfers up.
Oem conservative take my time lol
Not the strongest 372s
I've ran but for 220.00 damn good runners lol

I found the 372xp XT handle local new for $35. They buy them in bulk so they have them if someone buying a new saw wants to upgrade it to the full wrap. Since the handle for the 576 is over $100, (though I did find one place online that sold it for $62 including shipping), and I'll be able to pick it up tomorrow instead of waiting a week, I'm going with the fat tall choice. The saw is primarily for firewood cutting and occasional felling work. I like running a 28" bar to save my back. I use a full skip chain. Is there such a thing a as chainsaw addiction? You know, where you keep seeing all these different saw's and you want to get them and try them? And you read about mods and stuff and want to try them as well? Is there anything you can take for that?

Westboastfaller,

What are you using your brake for the majority of the time? Having used more saws without brakes than with them I haven't developed the habit. I assume it's when you want to set it down and idle.

Maybe that, but primarily when you are moving more than a couple of steps between cuts. Especially on poor footing....

Since Westboaster didn’t answer....maybe he can elaborate.

OK you said go easy..lol
Apart from what has already been mentioned is the brake handle will be different heights as well.
I prefer to use the older thinner wrap handles and match up the brakes. I only ever use my left hand to operate the brake on & off unless I'm using my right so It took some getting used to a taller brake with a short handle. (More of a gap from my wrist) your situation the handle will be lower and close. I think it was OK for me but may have knocked the brake on more and I believe it was tight with heavy winter gloves. It's been a while though, I think a was good with it.
wait a minute...Why you being easy on this dude????? I remember coming in last year as a newbie and getting royally reamed by your royal highness :) :) :) whats up Queenie?

Back