.375 or .404?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"All Stihl 3/8 chain has 0.063" drive links, and only the drive tang is thinned for 0.050". Therefore, a Stihl 3/8 x 0.050" chain is just as strong as 0.063" chain."

Mtngun,

Could you give me a link as to where you got this information.

You seem to be saying that the drive links on a Stihl 3/8, .050 gage chain are actually .063" thick at the rivets and .050 only at the tang of the drive link.

Arky

Can't really say why they broke.
It was in yellow pine, max cut about 18", but usually about 12" to 14".
Oiler was set to max and the oil tank was always close to empty by the time the saw needed fuel.
Also had a water drip/with few drops of dish soap added to keep down the pitch and dust.
I may keep the rakers down more than others do; that might have had something to do with it; and I wasn't bashful about feeding it the log.
But I always resharpened before the chips turned fine.

It's not like they broke one right after another; probably went through at least 6-8 tanks of fuel before a breakage.
Best guess is that I kept the rakers lower (about .030-.040) and really pushed the saw into the log.
But .050 gage is fairly thin and after I opened up the muffler, the saw really has some torque.
As I said, I'm not sure why they broke. But the .063 gage seems to hold up (except that one time).

So when in the life cycle of the chain did they break - early? later? or random?

0.03-0.04 raker depths are probably too much for new chain and too little for well used chain.
To ease up on the powerhead I'd be using a raker depth of 1/10th of the gullet width.

Logosol is selling Picco bar and chain now.

Sure is allot of info on this site. I am learning allot just from this one post.

I've had the 3/8 .063 woodland pro break. Its kinda weird they snap on one side. I tried to change them out but they don't last very long and another one will break. I've come to the conclusion that chains are junk when that happens.

I've had the 3/8 .063 woodland pro break. Its kinda weird they snap on one side. I tried to change them out but they don't last very long and another one will break. I've come to the conclusion that chains are junk when that happens.

I guess so many people are using this chain that sooner or later some are going to break.

I'd still like to know when does this happen in the life of the chain? early, late or random.

The other thing worth know is does it tend to break the tie straps ahead or behind a cutter or a drive link (or is it just random). Skip chain users might be able to provide some useful info here.

I don't think any single or small sample set is going to tease this out but a cumulative set of data might?

I guess so many people are using this chain that sooner or later some are going to break.

I'd still like to know when does this happen in the life of the chain? early, late or random.

The other thing worth know is does it tend to break the tie straps ahead or behind a cutter or a drive link (or is it just random). Skip chain users might be able to provide some useful info here.

I don't think any single or small sample set is going to tease this out but a cumulative set of data might?

I'll dig up a broken strap a see where it broke. Compared to some of you guys I never get past the first half of a cutters life.

Back