.375 pitch bar on Husky 346xp?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

N1ST

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
A company is selling a bar (15" Carlton Pro-Champ Chainsaw Bar (15-01-A257-PC)) for a 346xp. I was under the impression that the pitch of a saw was fixed and for this saw, it was .325. Does this bar really fit the stock saw?

will be doing the same for my 026 after .325 chains wear out.

just so I can run the same roll of 3.8 .50 chain.

If the saw is a New Edition 50cc one, just go ahead - lots of people do.
I haven't done it yet, but the 3/8" bar and chains are waiting on their turn.

...but I wouldn't do it on a stock 45cc one - the saw would bog too easily.

Just remember to change the sprocket!

Last edited:
.325 chains are OK on 50cc and smaller saws. Typically the chains don't last as long, and will dull quicker on high speed saws than running a 3/8". From what I've seen, it's really not much of an "upgrade" to change them over on 18" or smaller bars, and on some saws they larger chains can really hurt power/performance.

If you have a saw with enough power to effectively operate a 20" bar, then the upgrade to 3/8" would be well worth the effort.

I've never ran a 346XP, but would imagine is would be at it's limits with an 18" 3/8 set-up. Our 55 is well suited for the 18" .325, but I wouldn't want to run any more bar on it, as we typically use it for smaller limbs where the fast chain speed is most desirable......Cliff

.325 chains are OK on 50cc and smaller saws. Typically the chains don't last as long, and will dull quicker on high speed saws than running a 3/8". From what I've seen, it's really not much of an "upgrade" to change them over on 18" or smaller bars, and on some saws they larger chains can really hurt power/performance.

If you have a saw with enough power to effectively operate a 20" bar, then the upgrade to 3/8" would be well worth the effort.

I've never ran a 346XP, but would imagine is would be at it's limits with an 18" 3/8 set-up. Our 55 is well suited for the 18" .325, but I wouldn't want to run any more bar on it, as we typically use it for smaller limbs where the fast chain speed is most desirable......Cliff

Hmmmmm.....:dizzy:

3/8"x7 will create more chain speed initially than .325x7.
The potential problem is the torque loss caused by the larger diameter drive sprocket, and thereby keeping the chain speed up in the wood.

A saw that do well with a 3/8" in small wood may not do so in larger wood - .325 may be preferable.

There are other factors as well, depending on the exact chain models you compare.

Last edited:
The other concern is kerf width and amount of "bite" increase of a 3/8" chain over a .325" chain. I have found that "upgrading" to the 3/8" significantly reduces apparent power in the cut. My older saws that were configured for .325" originally are all running .325" now. All of my newer saws are configured for 3/8" (except for my "baby" saws).

The other concern is kerf width and amount of "bite" increase of a 3/8" chain over a .325" chain. I have found that "upgrading" to the 3/8" significantly reduces apparent power in the cut. My older saws that were configured for .325" originally are all running .325" now. All of my newer saws are configured for 3/8" (except for my "baby" saws).

The lower number of cutters on the 3/8" chain evens it out a bit.....

Last edited:
Back