385xp Carb adjustment & muff mod

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OhioGregg

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I finally got up the nerve to mod the muffler on my 385xp, new in 2008. Was leary of fiddling with a saw that has allways run great. I put a simple to do, second exh. port on the muffler, no welding. :)
I finally figured how to get more adjustment out of the Walbro carb on this saw. I have run this saw in the past on a mill also, but I couldn't get it any richer. Very small adjustment range. If you take a small screw driver and press inward on the silver ring around the screw, it is spring loaded. While holding this ring in, you can turn the H screw out a small amount with another screw driver. The ring will pop back out, holding the screw, but now you have a little more adjustment range to the rich side.

While I was at it, I put a new 30" Carlton bar on it. Been using a 28". Have only made a few test cuts with it so far, but seems to be just fine!!:)

100_0386.jpg

100_0304.jpg

100_0381.jpg

100_0383.jpg

:cheers:
Gregg,

Wow, what a clean saw. I love mine as well, which is a couple years older. It had orange plastic limiters on the carb. screws. I pulled off the Hi speed one by screwing in a drywall screw and then yanking it off, revealing the normal metal screw and spring underneath. That allowed me to richen the mixture like you did. I set it at 11,500 rpm, but that turned out to be too rich for ripping, and it ate a ton of fuel as well. So now it's up to about 12,000 and cutting much better. I like what you did with the muffler mod., but have you had any issues with too much heat getting on the chain break mechanism. My Husky 55 has its exhaust from the factory like the one you added and it melted part of the plastic lever. I think Husky even had a recall on it. Anyway, if your experience says it's OK I would do the same. Look forward to hearing your feedback.

Latest posts

Back