390 vs 361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FourMoCajuns

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
OK before anyone tries to hang me I did the search and read for about an hour and decided to ask the question anyway.
I have a MS361 w/modded muffler and a buddy has a 290 with a 390 jug and piston on it. My question is will the 390 with a modded muffler ever cut like the 361? Will the saw ever have the throttle response of the 361?
The 390 does not have a opened up muffler yet and I won't do it for him. I am trying to talk him into doing it for himself. The reason he has a 390 jug and piston is because his bro-in-law TWEAKED his saw for him and got her a little lean! He is gunshy of modding anything because of this.:greenchainsaw:

With both mufflers modded, it will be closer than you imagine.. the 039 has lot of grunt. I know which one will last longer though!

Also tell him that a muffler mod, properly done and tuned afterword, will allow his saw to run cooler, which is always good. Moderation is the key. After the muffler mod, don't get crazy, and try to run that 390 at 15,000 RPM and you'll be fine. It's been said that the 029 responds well to muffler mods. I don't know. I had a 310 once, never a 390, but they're all the same saw. The 390 should respond well also. Have him look at the muffler mod from the "it'll run cooler," point of view, instead of the "I want it to cut like an 044" point of view.

Now the muffler thing I can coment on, it does help, I never got crazy with mine, I think just one 3/8" hole, maybe two, but it did help a lot. Like Jeff said, it's not a 440 and never will be!!!! As for comparing the two I never ran a 361, but guessing, the 390 with a muffler mod probably runs like a stock 361, just from litening to people talk.
The 390 really is a decent saw for what it's meant and priced for and I was really pleased with it until I got a good deal on a similar sized pro model that weighed less and had more umph. Not the saws fault!
Andy

I think the difference you'll see in the 390 vs the 361 is the accerleration, and the useable powerband. They may both have 4.5 hp or whatever is on paper, but it's the useable hp, and the manner in which you get there that matters.

But that's my opinion after a growler of MI microbrew, so don't listen to me. :givebeer:

The 390 has .1 less hp than the 361 in stock trim even though it has more displacement. I'm still trying to decide on teh muffler mod. on my 390. I would like to but I will probably have to find someone to adjust the carb for me after I do that, since I doubt the dealer will enrich the carb for me and I certainly don't want to lean seize the motor( I don't really know what I'm doing with carb adjustments) Mine has real good torque but I would bet the 361 is more saw for the money. the reason I have the 390 and not the 440 or 460 is that I need a good reliable saw to cut reams of firewood, but I'm not a professional and don't saw enough to justify the expense of a new pro saw.

fishhuntcutwood said:
I think the difference you'll see in the 390 vs the 361 is the accerleration, and the useable powerband. ...
I believe that these differences are mainly a result of the 4-channel engine disign of the 361 vs 2-channel on the 390 (and most other Stihls), but there may also be more to it.

Even if you could adjust or modify them both to run and cut the same, I would still take the 361 over the 390, better anti-vibe and design, and I would say a longer lasting saw.

I've got both (390 & 361). While the 361 is more modern and easier on the user (less vibes, better balance), the 390 is no slouch. Lotsa torque. The 361 is more of a "revver".

The only complaint that I have with the 390 is that mine is one of the earlier ones that doesn't have the de-comp valve on it. :( While starting, it sometimes likes to give me the old "finger-stinger" :dizzy: sometimes, especially when the weather is cold.....and it seems to sense exactly when the catch me a bit off-guard and pull (literally) that stunt.

Dave

NorthWoods,
Does that 390 have the elasto-start handle on it? It does help.

My limited experience is that a firm grip when starting any saw will pretty much eliminate the "finger stinger" that you describe. A couple of times getting the skin peeled off of a finger was a good enough incentive to remember to hold tight.

The decomp port is nice, but sometimes I don't even remember to use it. That 390 is an easy saw to start...unless you get it flooded, then it becomes impossible to start.

WRW said:
NorthWoods,
Does that 390 have the elasto-start handle on it? It does help.

No elasto-start. It happens when I forget to hold tight enough or can't get a good enough grip (cold fingers + some arthritis - bad combo). Its a good starter. It just likes to talk-back to me sometimes.

With all the other saws (7) that I have acquired in the last 2 years or so (thanks mainly to getting involved with this darn board:D ), the 390 doesn't see much use any more..

Dave

Back