394/395 Differences

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm trying to assess the similiarities and differences between teh 394 and 395. I've asked for clarification in the other thread and have gotten no reponses. Are the cases indeed the same?

If so, then why don't the cranks interchange? I realize the 395 has a different intake system, but that could be swapped as well if someone so chose. How about the tanks, recoils, etc. The mufflers have the same PN.

I'm trying to assess the similiarities and differences between teh 394 and 395. I've asked for clarification in the other thread and have gotten no reponses. Are the cases indeed the same?

If so, then why don't the cranks interchange? I realize the 395 has a different intake system, but that could be swapped as well if someone so chose. How about the tanks, recoils, etc. The mufflers have the same PN.

As far as I know most things will change over, covers, recoils. If you want to change carbs, you need to change cylinders as well. I'm sure all parts would swap to the case. I have 394's and a 395 here I could look at anything specific if you want.

Which side? I know you're not supposed to mix them, but if it were the clutch side that's good, I could put it with my flywheel side and check them out.

The clutch side is bad. toast actually. I just tried to split it, and it just pulled the barstud out with part of the case. The flywheel side looks ok, but does have allot of paint wear.

I was going to buy a crank for my 395 off ebay. Seller said one from 394 would work. Take that for what its worth (he may have just wanted the sale).

Ok this is what I come up with there was 2 different cranks used in a 394 depending on the year 1996-2003 501 81 49-02 1992-2002 501 81 49-01
Then 395 pretty much all years 537 09 05-71 not sure the differences but look like the 395 may not work.

Here's what I have found out. While the crankcases are the same, the crank is indeed different. The only difference seems to be the stub on the flywheel side. This simply means that you would have to use a 395 flywheel along with the 395 crank if you use one in your 394.

Back