395XP big bore

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hammerstrap

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I put a mako big bore kit in my second 395xp. I did a compression on it at 180psi. It fired up lastnight after a dozen pulls. I let it run at a high idle for 20 minutes and shut it down for the night. This morning it ran for about a minute and died. I pulled it and it popped out the carb....pulled the flywheel and it has sheared the nub. Does the 394 flywheel with the steel key fit or does the new flywheel come with a steel key or a aluminum nub?

They key is to line it up for timing, it doesn't hold the flywheel in place once you've the got nut torqued. You can reinstall that flywheel if you can properly line it up.

Not sure if they would actually work, but the part numbers for the 394 vs. 395 flywheels don't match.

I put the flywheel on and tightened the nut, hit the socket and turned it a lil more. I repeated it 3 times so I thought it would be ok. I am going to try again after lunch but I want to have this right. This saw will be on a 30" alaskan mill after its broke in.

it isn't the best option, but i have put a small dab (key word small;)) of bearing and sleave retainer on the spot where the key would sit. you don't want to coat the whole crank otherwise you won't get the flywheel off ever again:msp_tongue: give that a shot before buying a flywheel. once that nut is tight it won't be moving again.

The 395 wont accept the 394 flywheel because the square keyway on the 394. The keyway is just to line up the flywheel for the correct timing, the taper holds it tight. Ive been running my 395 for awhile with no keyway.

I found it!? The crank is kinda screwed up and when you put the nut on it doesnt tighten up.....it screws on but its not tight enough

Hmmm

You lost the key. You stripped the threads on the crank. What's next?
Looks like you are in for some machine shop work. Make a new key or buy one. Take the saw apart and get the crank in the lathe and grind the old thread down to accept a new smaller dia die to cut new tread. Assemble saw again. Put big washer under the new smaller nut and make sure you do not overtighten the new smaller diameter thread???
Or maybe gently file the old thread down with crank still in saw to required diameter.
Sucks!

Motorsen

Running at a consistant speed for 20 minutes is a no-no in my book anyway.

Back