395xp/ need boost in confidence

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ranger

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
think I'm getting the 395xp over 066 just thought I'd see if you guys had some good things to say about it . Love the feel of the saw and think it will do me good.there has to be someone out there that thinks the 395xp is a killer saw. anyone......

Matt
:rolleyes:

Hi Matt, this is a tough one. I like the 395 and can`t see where you would have any trouble with it, But I think I like the 066 a little better overall. What I would be more inclined to do is get a Ken Dunn 385xp which will shame either of these two saws, any day of the week, and with less weight. I don`t know if you have looked at the 385, it`s a very nice saw and it responds exceptionally well to Ken`s touch, somewhere in the neighborhood of 40 - 45% gains for a woods saw I believe. Russ

Ive cut alot of timber with the 394 pretty much the same as 395, tough, dependable, but i have two 66s now like them alot better.

Talk to Ken Dunn about this. There are different potential selections based on whether you want to have the saws modified. If you want to leave the saw stock, I think that the 066 wins.

If you look at Walkers dyno tests, a stock 395xp has about a 1hp advantage on a stock 066.

Put a dual port cover on it and wach the 1hp differance go by-by. 066 like many saws today are really choked up. BTW either one is a great saw. Go with the one YOU like.

Howdy, Well I will vote for the 395XP. I have run both, but bought the 395 because of the Air injection. I have a buddy with a Stihl 066, great saw, good power, good balance, but not up to par with filtering. He cuts firewood with it, one tank of gas and is filter is packed solid under that sweatband pre-filter. I checked my 395XP after a tank and thier was 1 chip and three particals of dirt. Well not really, but the filter was clean so I ran 5 more tanks through it checking after each tank, untill I cleaned it on the 6th tank of fuel. This is just my experience with the two saws. I like them both, the 066 has nicer features, like the lateral chain tensioner, and the two-pivot point chainbrake. I choose the 395XP, and don't regret it.

He cuts firewood with it, one tank of gas and is filter is packed solid under that sweatband pre-filter
Is your freind packing the filter with dust by hand?
I have never had to clean a stihl filter after 1 tank. I have about ten tanks through my 044 right now and it is still very clean. A few chips on the felt band that easily fall off and nothing underneath it.

I would suggest that your friend begin to sharpen his chains or sharpen his chains correctly. To make a statement that the filter is packed with dust after one tank of fuel seems unrealistic. I have two 044's and one 066 that with properly sharpened chains pull off very nice chips of wood and not dust or powder that would plug the filter in one tank of fuel. This filter design is used on four or five of Stihl's most popular production saws. If what your saying is true, then professional loggers, fellers, firewood cutters would start every morning packing 5-10 filters to change in the field.

With regards to purchasing the 066 over the 395. The 066 is IMHO the best saw stihl has made to date. It is rugged, reliable, powerfull and proven itself in the professional logging industry. It is an out of the box high performance saw. I am not saying that the 395 is not any of these things because I am sure that it is a great saw. And for GodSakes don't not buy the 066 because someone tells you that you have to clean your airfilter after every tank of fuel.

Regards,

GeorgeW

well i am sticking with the 395xp. i run an 046 everyday and i know for a fact that the filters need cleaning more often than the huskys.not every tank though but enough that it becomes kind of a pain.the saws are very good anyway, but favor husky.

Matt

band

If the ends of the band are up, you will pack a lot of sawdust in. If they are at the bottom of the filter, it won't happen. Stays pretty clean. I have pulled filters off with a few hours on them and the filter itself is clean. Keep the STIHL name on the band at the top of the filter.

Hey Bwalker, did you ever do the 372/044 test?
No, not formaly like I had wanted. Briefly, the 372 is marginaly faster when both saws are stone stock. The 372 is also a very slight amount lighter(hardly notice). With a dual port factory cover the 044 is faster than the husky by quit a bit. This is with just the factory cover, nothing else opened up. I have not opened up the 372 muffler so I dont know how they would compare when both have modded mufflers. The airfilter thing is a non issue IMO as is the vibration issue. When its all said and done the are about equal. Both have there own unique charachter though.

BWALKER???

Do you have part numbers for the dual ported muffler cover for the 044? Is that part actually an 046 part number? Please let me know.

Thanks,

GeorgeW

You are right George, the cover is an 046, but will fit the 044. We sell lots of them, don't think its anymore correct ( EPA or CARB ) than just punching a hole in the muffler.

Latest posts

Back