Recommendation?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tbenzinger

Reaction score
I have been running the same husky 268 with 28” bar for 25 years. It has been a phenomenal saw for firewood, a little big for limbing/ brush work etc. I say was because I ran it over this last weekend. Not a good situation. However, now I need to replace it. I’m looking at a 372xp, but also want to get a second smaller saw. Can anyone recommend a smaller saw approx the size of the 450 rancher that will have very good performance/ reliability? I’d like to keep in the husky line, and don’t want to buy something that will be hard to get parts for. Don’t want to buy something that I’m going to have to constantly fiddle with to keep running well.

I have been running the same husky 268 with 28” bar for 25 years. It has been a phenomenal saw for firewood, a little big for limbing/ brush work etc. I say was because I ran it over this last weekend. Not a good situation. However, now I need to replace it. I’m looking at a 372xp, but also want to get a second smaller saw. Can anyone recommend a smaller saw approx the size of the 450 rancher that will have very good performance/ reliability? I’d like to keep in the husky line, and don’t want to buy something that will be hard to get parts for. Don’t want to buy something that I’m going to have to constantly fiddle with to keep running well.

I don't own one but have been looking for a new smaller saw, the husky 550xp looks pretty interesting
It's a little bit heavier than the other 50cc saws on the market, but the 550 mkii is a strong, reliable saw that handles very well. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.

I have a 345 (well used) and a 550XP (MMWS), the 550XP will cut circles around the 345 as expected, but I still use the 345 at times just because I have it. If you are always in a hurry, the 550XP would be a good choice, it you want to take your time and enjoy the experience the 345 would serve you well. I'll be sad the day(s) when either of these saws eventually give up the ghost

I have owned and operated a few of the 4 Series saws (435, 450, 455) and they were O.K., but not built like the 3 Series in my opinion.

Mark

As others say -
Husky 545/550XP OE or Mk2
Jonsered 2252/2253 or Redmax GZ5000 - these are really the Husky 545/550 saws rebranded and you can sometimes find them at real discounts. GZ5000 is still in production I believe.
400 series Huskies are going to be heavier, I don’t think any are “Pro” saws.
350/346/353 Huskys - all great but most I see for sale now are dogged out. Unless you want to work on them yourself I be very careful.
Others I would look at - Echo 490/4910/501P. These are built to Pro standards.
Stihl 261 or 261 C

Latest posts

Back