3pt tractor winches

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Czar800, very nice. I think I saw the first vid. a while ago after you had just made the winch. The one where you were just test pulling with a small branch. Its nice to see it pulling some wood. Looks like it works well. Did you keep track of the amount of time it took to build? Also, are you set up to skid the logs after winching them to you?

It took about a day to make after i gathered all the scrap. I don't really skid any wood, I winch to where i can get my skid loader and load into the dump trailer.

I was mad when i pull it out, my cable that i use on it had been taken off and used for something else (by my dad) was broke and i lost about 40'. It made me sick thats whey in the picture I didn't get the wood to the road, it is real soft and wet where i have been cuting and 40' would help a lot.

attachment.php

Ok. So I dont know if this is conciderd "loging talk" but has anyone seen or used a 3pt hitch winch for a tractor to get wood out. I've been concidering makeing my own from a bed winch of an old knuckel boom truck. I work in some swampy areas that i won't think about taking the truck and trailor or even my farm tractor and trailor. Some way to retreve good wood with out waiting till winter for the freeze would be nice.

I build one many years ago by attaching an old 9000# electric worm gear winch to a box blade. I replaced the electric motor with a high speed hydraulic motor off an airplane. I built a pair of double pulley snatch blocks and used it to pull up small stumps in my back yard. The box blade could be chained down and it would take the load off the tractor. It worked great until I pulled the worm gear through the housing. It is not the optimal design for skidding with the tractor due to the weight.

I was working on a new one last season until I got hurt. It is simply a hydraulic winch off a 5 ton Army truck that I was putting on skids that would attach to the 3 point hitch. It will pull between 10 to 15 tons. The tractor is used to move it around and to power it. For heavy pulling I intended to chain it down and park the tractor to the side away from the line of fire. As you can see from the photos, I didn't get too far. Hopefully, I'll be able to finish it this summer. Ron
newreply.php

I build one many years ago by attaching an old 9000# electric worm gear winch to a box blade. I replaced the electric motor with a high speed hydraulic motor off an airplane. I built a pair of double pulley snatch blocks and used it to pull up small stumps in my back yard. The box blade could be chained down and it would take the load off the tractor. It worked great until I pulled the worm gear through the housing. It is not the optimal design for skidding with the tractor due to the weight.

I was working on a new one last season until I got hurt. It is simply a hydraulic winch off a 5 ton Army truck that I was putting on skids that would attach to the 3 point hitch. It will pull between 10 to 15 tons. The tractor is used to move it around and to power it. For heavy pulling I intended to chain it down and park the tractor to the side away from the line of fire. As you can see from the photos, I didn't get too far. Hopefully, I'll be able to finish it this summer. Ron
newreply.php

pictures:
177967d1301447392-winch-project-1-jpg
177966d1301447392-winch-project-2-jpg

Back