4 stroking

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it means the sound of properly adjusted chainsaw. Which means, that when properly adjusted the saw will "stutter" a bit when revved with no load.. and that "stuttering" sound is referred as four-stroking...

4-stroking

I once heard that you should hold the saw wide open out of the cut every so often to blast the carbon out for 4-5 seconds & also you could make sure that the saw was 4-stroking or blubbering. You could also check to see if the bar was getting oil & blast out some on the crud in the clutch cover. Is there any truth to this? He said you could do it often if you only held the throttle wide open for a short time. I would think that the fuel filter would keep the carb from clogging & running lean so you wouldn't have to do it but once or twice a season.

outdoortype said:
I once heard that you should hold the saw wide open out of the cut every so often to blast the carbon out for 4-5 seconds & also you could make sure that the saw was 4-stroking or blubbering. You could also check to see if the bar was getting oil & blast out some on the crud in the clutch cover. Is there any truth to this? He said you could do it often if you only held the throttle wide open for a short time. I would think that the fuel filter would keep the carb from clogging & running lean so you wouldn't have to do it but once or twice a season.

the saw will get enough stress and revs to keep carbon deposits out of saw when sawing normally, or especially when limbing...

outdoortype said:

Whoever told you that must have forgotten to tell you that when you are doing it you must also shake the saw vigorously to dislodge those bits of carbon and crud, give it a real good shake, hey who knows, might even work better if you hold it upsidedown. :laugh:

What actually causes the "4-stroking"?

What is actually causing this? I assume the fuel mixture in the chamber gets too rich to burn,,, correct?

its caused by mixture that gets slightly rich on top revs, therefore stopping the rpm´s rising...

quote from 314epw
I have a recording of my ex-wife blubbering!I turn the high speed screw richer till I no longer can here the recording.

good one 314epw!!! I wish they all came with a high speed screw so one could drown out the blubbering!!!

Lakeside53 & blis: It didn't make any sense to me either. I thought that the guy might have been older & wiser.

ghitch75 said:
yes hittin' the rev limiter

I don't think that the blubbering is a result of the rev limiter. I don't understand 2 strokes enough to explain, but doesn't the saw tach really, really high when you lean out?? I mean, when I get my engine sounding right, its running at a much lower rpm than if it is running lean. Just my .02. Perhaps someone can explain.

Latest posts

Back