.404 chain and bars

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rcoulas

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm new to husky, I've always used stihl in the past. I get my bars and chain from lazer sale (cutters choice). Currently I'm using 3/8 chain but would like to go to 404. I have found out that laser can't get bar noses for there pro bars for 404 chain. They tell me I have to use .058 404 and can't use .063 404 like we used on the stihls. The local husky dealer isn't mush help, everybody uses 3/8 around here. What are my options and what are you guys using! I'm running a 395 & 3120.

Do you have a specific reason for wanting to run.404 instead of 3/8? Some guys used to preferr .404 on long milling set-ups but you see more and more of them including myself going to 3/8 because they are finding that there is a little more speed, a little less kerf plus the 3/8 is a heck of a lot easier to come by locally. Check out the link to Baileys at the top of the page, they may be able to help you out. Good luck.

Last edited:
Move to 3/8" like everyone else in the neighborhood. I couldn't get .404 here without special ordering it if I wanted it. I realize it is a little more rugged than 3/8, but I've been a 3/8 guy since childhood. With a harder chain such as Stihl, Carlton, or I guess some of the new Oregon stuff I haven't tried yet, durability hasn't been an issue.

Mark

I dont think that there is anything wrong with it, just dont see any advantages to it unless you were running it on a super long bar and were worried about breakage.

He says that he can get it though.He just doesn't want to run it.

Thanks for all the replies. There is nothing wrong with .058 404 chain but they can't get the bar noses for the .058 bars. I was just wondering what most are using. Yes 404 is more durable, I've noticed more broken cutters since we started using 3/8 as well as bent drive links. I guess I'll stick with 3/8 as it is a pain to get 404 but I still think the 404 is a better chain for the big displacement saws. Just my opinion but everybody is entitled to it:hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
I run 3/8 x .058 x 9T on a 22" Sandvik bar

3/8 = smaller kerf
.058 = smaller kerf
9T = higher cutting speed in a smaller kerf

You may need to change brands if you can't get your preference. .063 may be better for binding reasons, but I've not had any trouble.

I run 3/8s on all my saws except the 394,075 and 046. 066 gets 3/8s as well.I don't run it for strength I use those saws where I need a little fatter saw kerf and thats all.

I use a Cannon bar and still make use of the original 404 .63 bar that came with 3120 (Both bars are 404 .63 36”). Bailey’s sells a neat tool made by Woodsman Pro to close the rail up on an old bar to get more life out of it.
I like the 404 chain for taking out stumps at ground level before stump grinding with the 357 Dosko. I’ve hit nails and woven fence that were embedded in fence line trees. The 404 chain (and 120cc powerhead) will cut through both without breaking a cutter. It won’t stretch much, and seems easier to hand sharpen than 3/8 or .325 chain.
Just my opinion.:greenchainsaw:

I run .404, 063 gage on my 084. I think it works better on the big saws that have the power to pull it.
I was crosscutting up the blocks from my big white oak last weekend and the 404 pitch chain/084 combo went thru much faster and easier than the .375 pitch chain on the 066 did. Even considering the larger hp & torque of the 084, it was going thru a 50" block in half the time the 066 was.
I was thinking about swapping the 066 over to .404 pitch.

Ed

Back