440 Vs. 460

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UrbanLogger

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am currently in the market for a new saw in this size range. I have used (and used to own) an 044, and loved it. I have heard good things about the 460 too. I know that Stihl is planning on phasing out the 440, what about the 460? I also know that the 460 is about 1.5 pounds heavier than the 440, but has slightly more power. Visually they appear to be the same saw, just a differnt engine? What would you pick?

some facts:
MS440: 70.7cc - 5.4hp - 13.9 lbs.
MS460: 76.5cc - 6.0hp - 14.6 lbs.

I'm leaning toward a 460 due to the phasing out of the 440 and the fact it is only about 1.5 lbs heavier, and has more power.

I am currently in the market for a new saw in this size range. I have used (and used to own) an 044, and loved it. I have heard good things about the 460 too. I know that Stihl is planning on phasing out the 440, what about the 460? I also know that the 460 is about 1.5 pounds heavier than the 440, but has slightly more power. Visually they appear to be the same saw, just a differnt engine? What would you pick?

some facts:

I'm leaning toward a 460 due to the phasing out of the 440 and the fact it is only about 1.5 lbs heavier, and has more power.

Here on AS the 460 gets more respect. Of crews I run across that cut wood all day long every day, I see more 440s. They usually have a 460 and or a 660 on the side, but it is the 440 that gets the most use. Lighter smaller better fuel consumption and enough power to do most jobs.

Just a real world observation.

My next Stihl will probably be a 441 because even though it is heavier it is so much smoother. When I want power to weight I grab a 7900, which I personally find a lot nicer to run than a 460 (don't get me wrong, the 460 is a great tried and true saw).

My next Stihl will probably be a 441 because even though it is heavier it is so much smoother. When I want power to weight I grab a 7900, which I personally find a lot nicer to run than a 460 (don't get me wrong, the 460 is a great tried and true saw).

There are different opinions on the smootness of the 7900 vs. the 460 - some say it is very smooth, while others say it is a vibration monster (Germans mostly).

I have never run either one, so I don't know.........

Hopefully, the 460 will be replaced by a 461, which is the same as the 441, with a larger engine....

I will pick the 440 all day long over the 460.I have nothing to gain with what little extra power the 460 has.If I need more power,I'll grab my 395.I like the lighter weight and slim profile of the 440,and it will hold it's own with a 460 anyway.I usually end up having to use a 440 up in trees from time to time,so the lighter the better.One of the other reasons I choose the 440 is that I've been using these saws since 1991.I've currently got three in operation,two new ones,and one that I built from four that were worn out,and I've got eight of them that I use for parts.It really pisses me off that Stihl is discontinuing this model.I'm not sure if I'll take to the new 441,or try out a 575 Husky.:bang:

Visually they appear to be the same saw....

It may appear, but they are in no way the same saw. I've got one of each, and each saw is it's own saw. For me, it's what I'm cutting, and what I need to pull. A 28" for the 440, and a 32" for the 460.

I think there's actually been a thread or two on this already. Try a search on here and see what comes up. I seem to recall, but I may be mistaken.

But no, they're not the same saw. If you need the 460, get the 460. If the 440 will do it, get the 440. Don't worry about it being phased out. There will always be 440 parts. And the 460 and 440 do share many anyway.

Jeff

The people I know that have spent time on both generally feel the 7900 is considerably smoother in the cut. I've had friends here to try out my 7900 that generally run a 460, and almost always visitors leave considering buying a 7900. Seriously.

In my own mind, there really is no comparison. I'll try not to be a broken record, but I just don't understand how the Germans call the 7900 a vibration monster. Idling and blipping the throttle the saw jumps around a bit, but in the cut she be smooth. Strickly performance wise, I think the 7900 spanks the 460 in all regards. In durability, longevity, parts, etc the 460 is a proven workhorse and a classic saw for sure.

Sigh, I'll let it go....

I know that is the general consensus here, but several Germans still doesn't agree....

... I guess that they look more at the listed vibe numbers, and less at how the saws actually feels.

Personally, I believe that the numbers don't tell the whole story.....:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

My 372xpg feels super smooth, but that is also supported by the numbers.

Last edited:
I guess more specifically what I'm looking for is a saw that will pull 28 or 32 inch bar in hardwood with no troubles. Mostly used for cutting large trunks. I have a 62 cc saw w/20" bar for limbing and use if I must climb with that large of a saw. otherwise I climb with an Echo CS330T 14"bar and a Silky Sugoi. I don't plan on climbing with my largest of saws, most of the work I do is in customers yards, nothing larger than some old silver maples or large willows.

what is the largest bar each saw will pull in stock form?

I also know that the 460 is about 1.5 pounds heavier than the 440, but has slightly more power.

I guess it's all in how you look at it (see my signature), I like that my MS460 has .6 more horse power for only slightly more weight.:D

some facts:

The difference is not 1.5 pounds its more like 11 ounces (.7 lbs) which is about the same difference as having a 3/4 tank of fuel and bar oil vs. full saw. I doubt that you would really notice the weight difference,(can you tell just by feel when you've used a 1/4 tank of fuel) but with a long bar in hardwood you will defiantly notice the difference in power. It's a 5% difference in weight with a 10% difference in horsepower, as for me I'll carry 11 extra ounces for a 10% increase in Power.

I'm thinking I'll just go with a 460, Erick, you bring a good point, 11ounces isn't enough weight for me to justify buying a lighter saw. Not to mention this saw will most likely never see use up in a tree.

I'm now wondering how much more power will a big bore kit and a woods port bring to this saw? Just out of curiosity

I've had both saws, well the 044 and 046 anyways.

Like Jeff said, they are differant saws, and they are both geat saws. I like the 044 for a 20" bar in hardwoods. The 046 seemed to be perfect with a 24".

I will tell you the 46 is about 2 pounds heavier when both saws are full of fuel and oil, same bar and chain. Never weighed them, but side by side there is a noticeable difference in wieght.

For what you are wanting to do, the 460 should be fine., unless of coarse you can run a 7900 before you make you decision...My 044 was stolen, and I got a 046 to replace it. I liked it alot until I ran the 7900....now I don't own an 046 anymore....lol

Of coarse the tired an tru 066 will run a 32" in hardwoods extremely well too...

Just some thoughts to add to your decision making process...lol

-Steve

I'm now wondering how much more power will a big bore kit and a woods port bring to this saw? Just out of curiosity

I've heard that with those mods it will out cut a 660 but since I haven't done those mods (yet) I can't say for sure.

I opened up the muffler on my 460 and it made a world of difference in that saw, they just can't breath through that pencil from the factory. I would recommend the dual port cover from the factory so as not to void your warranty on a new saw though. I run 20" and 24" bars on mine with an 8 pin sprocket and 28" bar with a 7 pin and full comp chain, the skip chain is hard to come by in my area. I don't have a 32" bar but I'm sure it would pull it just fine with skip chain, would probably even pull a 36" with skip if you had to do it.

I guess more specifically what I'm looking for is a saw that will pull 28 or 32 inch bar in hardwood with no troubles. Mostly used for cutting large trunks.

Put it like that, and I say 460 minimum. Depends on how regularly you're pulling a 32" wether or not you should consider a 660.

Jeff

I personally love the 044 and feel like it is a much more nimble saw in the hands. Now if it were me, I would buy the 044 and throw a 046 big bore kit on it. Even with out porting it and such this makes a great combination and gives you the best of everything you are looking for.

As for me, a weekender at best, I already had a 361 and wanted another saw to take with me when cutting firewood, etc. All we use in Tennessee for firewood is hardwood and when its been down for a while, it gets very hard. I chose the 460 since the advice I got from many on this site as well as from the kind folks at Madsen's was the 440 would not be a significant jump up in power over the 361, whereas the 460 would be. (My stock 361 bogs frequently using a 20" bar in oak/hickory.) I bought the DP cover for my saw, had it installed and had the limiter caps snipped before I left the dealership. I weighed both saws on my digital scale just now (identical 20" ES bars, RS chains and full of fuel/oil) and they weighed: 18.24 lbs. for the 361 and 20.26 lbs. for the 460. Not a bad trade off in weight for 1.6 more HP (or +2.1 HP as some suggest with the DP cover) over the 361.

I can't wait to cut some wood with it (have to wait until duck season ends), but I'm already happy with my purchase. Just my .02.

Greg

I know that is the general consensus here, but several Germans still doesn't agree....

Hi,

strangely enough among the Germans that disagree is Dolmar itself, the actual manufacturer. Anyway it only seems to be the front handle of the 7900 that has a higher vibe level, real or perceived. That is if you believe what Dolmar has to say...

Bye

440 or 460?

I have been running 440 or 044 since I started and have been in just about every possible situation with it. I have also used a 460 or 046 for an extended period of time. I would take the 440 anyday for the fact of fuel efficiency and weight and profile. The little bit of extra weight on the 460 is noticeable at the end of a grueling day and there really is not much of a power difference. Keep the chain razor sharp and the 440 will hold it's own anyday. I will suggest that for the few jobs where you need something bigger, get the 660, that way you are at least getting a sufficient amount of power for the extra weight. It may be to the tune of $900 or so but for the few times you will need it, it should last you somewhere around 10 years. I know that mine certainly has.

Both are great saws. I had a 044 for a long time, but I sold it to my Pa cuz I needed some cash, when I got a new saw I got a 460. I really dont see a big difference in power when cutting softwood, but in hardwoods the 460 has a tad more soup. Either way I would def. have another 440. Both are a solid saw. Get whichever as long as it's a STIHL:hmm3grin2orange:

There are different opinions on the smootness of the 7900 vs. the 460 - some say it is very smooth, while others say it is a vibration monster (Germans mostly).

I have never run either one, so I don't know.........

Hopefully, the 460 will be replaced by a 461, which is the same as the 441, with a larger engine....

Troll, you MUST get a 7900.
:laugh:

Latest posts

Back