441 vs 575xp smoothness only

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B_Turner

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been discussed recently. I turned my back on the Da Prince thread and, although I have been working hard on catching up with it ,I am still about 100 pages behind. It a funny thread, but didn't see this discussed (in the first 90 pages, anyway).

ONE of the things I really like in a saw is smoothness in the hand. Example, my 15 year old 026 is actually pretty good, the echo I had for awhile not so good, old Shidaiwa 360 pretty good, newer 360 not as good, new Dolmar 7900 is pretty good, o46 medium, 371 okay, 066 is pretty bad and my 395xp really great.

So, hopefully not getting beat up too bad for starting another Da Prince thread (which I am enjoying BTW), I have a something that I am wondering about:

Anyone who cares about smoothness (not everyone does) and has run the 441 alongside the 575xp and compared for smoothness have any opinions on which is smoother? I am talking about smoothness ONLY.

I know the 575 is pig heavy , etc. and is rumored to have crank bearing issues, etc. and I know that chains, and cutting technique etc affect the feel. Smoothness only.

I been wondering whether Husky or Stihl is the most successful with these new high weight low emissions saws in terms of vibration levels through the bars. I never fully believe the manufacturor's numbers in part because part of the smoothness issue is the frequency of the vibration (buzziness). For example the 7900 has some vibration in the cut but it is a lower frequency and not as unpleasant as the numers might indicate.

Kind of like comparing the boxer beemer oilheads against the first K bikes.

Well you've got to admit I know how to start them.

Anyone run them both? How about smoothness or power? Going once...

B_Turner, Well I sell both and I will have to say it's a 50/50 deal. It's kinda like cars, if you like Chevy then you always have a biased opinion favoring that brand. I have Stihl customers that will not even look at Husqvarna's and vice versa. When Husqvarna went the way of the Big Box we tried to switch all our loggers to Stihl. We found that was Operation DISASTER. Never sell a customer something he does not want as he'll never be happy. It cost me lots of money to buy saws back and keep those customers buying from us but we did. I would expect the same if we tried to convert the Stihl guys to Husqvarna also. It' simple they are both winners and are great companies. My 2 cents. Tony

hornett22 said:
run a stihl 33RSC chain on a husky 357xp.it's unreal.
Yes it is a very nice chain, but imo the trusty old Oregon LP, BP, DP, VP etc (but not LG) is equally smooth. :cheers:

Stihl just copied the anti-vibe feature when the patent ran out.
On the RSC3, they copied the little ramp on the drivers as well.

RMC is the same story.

Last edited:
hornett22 said:
run a stihl 33RSC chain on a husky 357xp.it's unreal.

But I'm hooked on square, like RSL(K). Try fresh ground square on anything and it's unbelievable. I find it easier on my hands than round because saws cut so good and I can use a lighter touch.

But I have heard good things about that saw and Madsens says they sell alot of them.

SawTroll said:
Yes it is a very nice chain, but imo the trusty old Oregon LP, BP, DP, VP etc (but not LG) is equally smooth. :cheers:

Stihl just copied the anti-vibe feature when the patent ran out.
On the RSC3, they copied the little ramp on the drivers as well.

RMC is the same story.

Looking at the ramps, I always assumed the anti-vibe chains did not cut as fast. Is this not true?

I hardly believe you notice a difference in practical use, with a race their is a whole other story :)

B_Turner said:
Looking at the ramps, I always assumed the anti-vibe chains did not cut as fast. Is this not true?
The ramps on the drivers nav e nothing to do with anti-vibration, they are there to reduce kick-back tendensies, but they must by all means not be regarded the same way as the large bumpers that are on the tie-straps of some chain. They hardly impeed with cutting speed at.

SWE#Kipp said:
I hardly believe you notice a difference in practical use, with a race their is a whole other story :)

Do they plunge cut as well?

Do they make a square ground anti-vibe?

I might just have to try one for grins. Anything to reduce vibration is a good thing in my book, as long as it isn't at the expense of performance.

I'm really glad to see Stihl come around and start making lower vibration saws. That is the power of competition.

Take a look here, about kick-back redusing chain;

SawTroll said:
Just remember that the are some principally different types of such chain out there:

1) The chain with tripple-hump or just one large one, on the tie straps between cutters. These are the ones that really suck, slowing down cutting in general, and making bore cutting next to impossible.
Stihl RM2, PM1 and Oregon SL, VG belongs to this category.

2) Chain with a small ramp on the driver, directly in front of a narrow (not "bullet-shaped" like on Stihl RS/RSC and Oregon LG) raker.
The combined size of the raker and ramp is not much larger than the raker alone on the RS/LG, and I think you would be hard pressed to notice any slower cutting - maybe there will be a small difference in very long cuts.
Some even say that these chain perform better than LG/RS for bore cutting.Oregon LP/BP/VP (++), and Stihl RSC3 belongs to this category.

Carton/Woodsmanpro also have variants of both types, but I suspect that the ramp on their "category 2" chain may be a bit larger than on the Oregon variants.

3) The somewhat bullet shaped rakers on chain like Stihl RS/RSC/RM/RMC and Oregon LG etc were also originally conceived as a kick-back reducing feature - at least according to Oregon.

4) The most kick-back aggressive chain are those with only a narrow raker, and no bumps or ramps, like Stihl RSK.

In addition we have oddballs like the Oregon Vanguard (V), and I am sure there is more.

By the way, this is my post number 2000 here, and hopefully it makes some sence....:cheers:

I don't know if they make a squareground but I got a friend here in Sweden that hand file the 73lp into square to run on his 346 & 385 and he is very pleased with it that way !!!
The 73LP is the most common 3/8 chain here in Sweden if you wonder why he don't buy square chain from start ,,,

chains are extremely safe.............

especially when you have been drinking alot and it is dark out.please wear shorts.

i have yet to try square cut chains.i have too many round cutter chains to swith right now.

Back