455 vs 353

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmysisson

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Sorry this has been beat to death, but I found a 455 Husky 18" with about 20 hours for about $200, homeowner owned. Was going to buy a 353 for its light weight and good power. I cut firewood and a few logs on my 50 acres. Own a 41 Husky limber and a Jonsered 80 (1973?). The Jonsered is mighty heavy and a couple hundred seems good for to lose about 1/3 of the weight. I might like a pro saw better (would, no doubt) but am just past 60 and needing to spend less.
You guys aren't so keen on homeowner saws I know but any red flags with the 455? Know anyone in central New England who can make the 80 cut faster?
Thanks, Jim

What size wood and what species are you cutting? How often do you cut? Just some food for thought, I see you are in Western Mass. I was at a Home Depot tonight (in Wmass) and they had a clean used Makita 6401 on the rack for less than $250 . That saw will outcut the both you are looking at. Don't be afraid of the Makita. It is really just a blue Dolmar. There is a good dealer up in my neck of the woods. Just some food for thought. :blob2:

Try a search on this site on the 455 and you won't find many good things said about it. It is overweight for the power output. The 353 is a much better choice, as it is a professional grade saw, and as such weighs much less for the same power output. It may cost a little more, but is well worth the extra money over the 455.

There are other excellent choices that would suit your needs as well. A Husky 350 would be a better choice for your homeowner needs than the 455, as it is much lighter, better designed, and still in the same price range. The power difference is negligible for the use you intend. If you really need a bigger saw, haul out the old Jonsereds as needed.

TimberPig said:
Try a search on this site on the 455 and you won't find many good things said about it. It is overweight for the power output. The 353 is a much better choice, as it is a professional grade saw, and as such weighs much less for the same power output. It may cost a little more, but is well worth the extra money over the 455.

There are other excellent choices that would suit your needs as well. A Husky 350 would be a better choice for your homeowner needs than the 455, as it is much lighter, better designed, and still in the same price range. The power difference is negligible for the use you intend. If you really need a bigger saw, haul out the old Jonsereds as needed.

X2 on the 350, the 455 is a bit overweight for the power, then you add 2" to the bar?
Andy

About 2 years ago I was ready to buy either a 455 they were brand new or the farm boss 290. Then I stumbled onto this site. I followed the advice of most people and went with the 353. I love it. I havent run a 455 so I can't compare them but the 353 is a great little saw. I cut a lot of wood by home owner standards and it hasn't missed a beat. just my 2 cents

I've fondled the 455 Rancher, and I thought it was a massive pig... at least compared to my 353. Im not sure how it would run next to my 353 but Im thinking it wouldn't be enough. I'd prefer smaller lighter in that class of saws, because thats what they are for...

... If you need some more rip go for something with the same weight but more power (Pro Saw or something)

the 455 just doesnt have enough power for its size, its like carrying extra kg with you all the time... 353 would be way better choice (If you cut in cold/rainy weather you might aswell get 353G for handle"fryers" :D)

Wow, thanks for the quick responses. I did think looking at the specs the 455 was heavy for its power. I already have that in the 80. When I picked up a 353 the other day at the dealer, it was nice and light, but I'm not used to seeing so much plastic. The Jonsered is heavy for a reason, I guess! Anyway, I appreciate all those who gave feedback. The guy can keep his 455. So, any tuners in W Mass who could give the 80 a little more oomph, or advice. If it's just a muffler or some such I could do that. Thanks again.
Jim

jimmysisson said:
Wow, thanks for the quick responses. I did think looking at the specs the 455 was heavy for its power. I already have that in the 80. When I picked up a 353 the other day at the dealer, it was nice and light, but I'm not used to seeing so much plastic. The Jonsered is heavy for a reason, I guess! Anyway, I appreciate all those who gave feedback. The guy can keep his 455. So, any tuners in W Mass who could give the 80 a little more oomph, or advice. If it's just a muffler or some such I could do that. Thanks again.
Jim

353 doesnt have anymore plastic than any other modern saws, but ofcourse, if youre used to old metal beasts it may seem so...

blis said:
353 doesnt have anymore plastic than any other modern saws, but ofcourse, if youre used to old metal beasts it may seem so...
Hi Blis - that's right, it is one of the least "plasticy" 50 cc saws!

The crankcase of the 353 is magnesium of course, as it is a pro quality saw, and so is the clutch cover, wich isn't the case on some other saws in the same general class. The front handlebar is also metal.

...the 455 has a pretty heavy and bulky crankcase made of "plastic", and so has the Stihl 290-series.

SawWitch told me to say hello to you! :)

Also in Western Mass/ CT

I live in CT but I cut my firewood in Colrain, MA. Probably the same species as you; Oak, Sugar Maple, and a lot, a lot, a lot, a lot, a lot of Beech. I have an 026 Pro that I love for most of the work, and pull out the 041 when something gets really big. I agree that the 350 or 353 is a great size for you versus the weight of the 455. And to add onto that comment about the blue Dolmar (Makita), I know that HD in Bloomfield, CT is rotating their stock, and they don't get a lot of use out of that store. $205 for a 6401 is a great price. Anyway, enjoy the woods up there. Sorry I can't help with the Jonsered.

-Jason

Griffbm3 said:
I live in CT but I cut my firewood in Colrain, MA. Probably the same species as you; Oak, Sugar Maple, and a lot, a lot, a lot, a lot, a lot of Beech. I have an 026 Pro that I love for most of the work, and pull out the 041 when something gets really big. I agree that the 350 or 353 is a great size for you versus the weight of the 455. And to add onto that comment about the blue Dolmar (Makita), I know that HD in Bloomfield, CT is rotating their stock, and they don't get a lot of use out of that store. $205 for a 6401 is a great price. Anyway, enjoy the woods up there. Sorry I can't help with the Jonsered.

-Jason

Jason - yep, mostly beech here too, trying to catch it before the fungus takes it. And maple, some street trees, oaks and hickory. I'm coming around to a new saw, just so's to not worry about the history, esp. with a rental. My local dealer (Stihl and Husky) is good, and same saw local is about $30-40 more than online including the governor's bit. Never had a warranty problem with a chain saw - how likely? Usually it's worth it to deal local, got my little Husky from him. Anyway thanks again to all for good advice, and quick!
Jim

I got my 455 as partial payment for a roofing job, so in the end, I don't really care all that much about it. I wish that I could say that it is so incredibly heavy, doesn't cut worth a crap and that its lined crank case feels like it is going to explode into bits at any second, but that just insn't the case.

Maybe it's because I'm just shy of 300 lbs and lift weights several times a week, but I don't notice this extra weight of the 455 all that much.:greenchainsaw:

I didn't have an opinion on the saw when I got it, but despite popular opinon of those who don't own one, I like the 455. I use mine weekly, at least, and I've really beat the hell out of it. Other than break off a few of blue choke levers when it has been very cold outside, I've had zero problems. A replacement lever is like $1.80 or something. I keep a few around.

I would easily take the 353 over the 455, based on power to weight. But the 400 series saw to check out is the big brother 460. That saw has way more of a power advantage over the 455 than you would think. Quite a bit of bang for the buck. I'm surprised it doesn't get talked about more on the site, but I know they are new and they were backordered for a while. In fact, I just got 8 in today that I ordered back in early October. It will easily outcut a 359.

spike60 said:
I would easily take the 353 over the 455, based on power to weight. But the 400 series saw to check out is the big brother 460. That saw has way more of a power advantage over the 455 than you would think. Quite a bit of bang for the buck. I'm surprised it doesn't get talked about more on the site, but I know they are new and they were backordered for a while. In fact, I just got 8 in today that I ordered back in early October. It will easily outcut a 359.

A Homeowner 460 easily outcut a Pro 359 :confused:
I think i have a hard time believing that :dizzy:

Welcome, Skogshuggarn - I can see you, even though you haven't made any posts yet.

I guess you are a new Swedish member.......:biggrinbounce2:

Keep in mind that we are stuck with the E-tech versions of the 359 over here which have the cat muffler on them. The specs? Companies have been known to tweak them before, and Husky can hardly print that the 460 has more power than a359. I also don't believe that Husky/Jonsered altered any of their power specs for any models that made the transition to E-tech, but most of us agree that there is a noticeable difference. Have you guys had an oportunity to try a 460 yet?

While the 359 does have the advantage of pro quality construction, it has never been the choice of pros in my store. It really filled the niche for the personal firewood cutter who was looking for something larger than the 350/353 family. Part of this was power, but it was in large part the perception/desire of having "more saw" with a 20" bar with 3/8 chain. That customer has almost entirely moved to the 455/460. Which kind of leaves the 359 as the unwanted child in my store. Serious guys will go for the 346 and 357 and continue to ignor the 359.

I know that somebody is getting ready to post how well the 359 responds to mods, but the reality is that most guys just want to run the saws, not mod them.

"[That customer has almost entirely moved to the 455/460. Which kind of leaves the 359 as the unwanted child in my store. Serious guys will go for the 346 and 357 and continue to ignor the 359.]"

Spike, let me know when you have to start discounting those 359's. I'll gladly take one of your hands!:laugh: Have you had any issues/or complaints on the 455 from customers yet? A friend of mine has one & likes it but I haven't ran it against my 359 yet. The 2 455's I've seen had 18" & 20" bars w/ 3/8" pitch. Do you think they would perform better with shorter bars and or .325" chains? 3/8" just seems borderline for a saw that makes 3.4 hp but maybe the new x-torqx makes up for that.

spike60 said:
.... While the 359 does have the advantage of pro quality construction, it has never been the choice of pros in my store. It really filled the niche for the personal firewood cutter who was looking for something larger than the 350/353 family. ....

:) That isn't really surprising, the 359 in stock form has never been really impressive, and it wasn't meant to be either, I believe.....

...but I still would take it any day over a plastic cased 460 with a bit less power.

I was appalled by the ungainly and heavy 455 when it first appeared at my dealer....:( :(

You really should take upon you to steer those costumers back to the 359, but I guess that Husky wouldn't want you to......:givebeer:

Back