460 dead

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Patrick62

Patrick62

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
A friends 460 dropped dead, lost all compression.
My best guess is hole burned in piston. Would running it lean cause this?
So after discussion, and a short web search, we ordered a big bore kit from Baileys. More power can't hurt as this saw is used in a firewood operation.

Until we get it going again, my 460 is going to be used... (pray for it).

It will be interesting to see how well this turns out. If it really works well, I might convert my saw as well.

-Pat

2Coilinveins

2Coilinveins

Former Member
Slightly to moderately lean will do that, over time. As far as I know, REAL lean will cause it seize(never had that happen, knock on wood). Pull the muffler and look at the cylinder through the exhaust port. There should be scratches in the cylinder, piston, and ring next to the exhaust port.

Tree Sling'r

Tree Sling'r

Addicted to ArboristSite
A guy I work with messes around with his saws a lot and did put a big bore kit from Bailey's in his 460 with a ported face plate and a holeshot filter system. It rips for a 460 - I say that because I run modded 660's. Can't go wrong if you can get life out of a saw from a $99 kit.

Patrick62

Patrick62

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I found it!

It would seem that when the sparkplug falls out, it causes a loss of compression, and quits running. So this one can go back in service pronto.
I did give it a bit of a cleaning, and even JB welded up a hole in the oil tank.

-Pat

turnkey4099
SawTroll said:
:confused: Does your spark plugs usually fall out, just like that.....:rolleyes:

Not a chainsaw but we had a small cat22 gas crawler back in the 50s. It had a cover over the sparkplug row. Had a habit, if not checked regularly, of blowing the number 1 plug out along with all the oil on the cylinder walls. Would freeze the engine to the point I needed a crowbar to get it rotating again. Never did figure out why it did it, just got in the habit of pulling the cover and tightening the plug every few days.

Harry K

Latest posts